Modest 02 bugeye build - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Modest 02 bugeye build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Holy hell...my 05 STI gets 260 to a tank on average...mix of highway/city. FML....

Holy hell...my 05 STI gets 260 to a tank on average...mix of highway/city. FML.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Mikie, not sure if you know the answer to this, but if the BPV is more effective then the BOV (i've read all the threads, the summary I understand is, the BPV re-uses the pressure and has it available for the engine quicker, and the BOV gets rid of it, causing the turbo to have to create more) Basically my question is, in what situation is the BOV better then the BPV? i was thinking the BPV would be better no matter what situation. But I guess maybe like a quick spooling turbo, it doesn't matter? I'm lost, please explain if you know.
    BOVs are necessary in cars that are running extremely high boost and typical in blow-through boost applications. That is, the MAF is located post-turbo (downstream) instead of upstream as in our cars. As you know, BOVs/BPVs are utilized to reduce the backpressure on the compressor caused by rapidly shutting the throttle plate. This creates an acoustic wave traveling back towards the compressor that can results in compressor surge and ultimately a temporary condition known as compressor stall (Compressor stall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). If the boost is high enough, the acoustic wave will have enough amplitude and can actually damage the exducer on the compressor.

So why is a BPV used instead of a BOV? The BPV is actually more effective. In pull-through MAF setups (such as ours), the BPV will dump metered air back into the intake, thus conserving the metered fueling. Furthermore, utilizing the engine vacuum assists in pulling the air out from the BPV (larger pressure differential) more quickly and results in LESS compressor surge.

Why would cars use a VTA BOV, then? Well, in race applications, Speed Density and blow-through Air metering are most commonly used. If the BPV were to dump back into the intake, it would need to dump before the turbo and MAF, thus running LEAN when the throttle plate closes. Furthermore, dumping metered air back into the intake pre-MAF causes a non-linear airflow scenario. This would be difficult to compensate with current digitized instruments. As a result, these applications demand a VTA BOV.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

you're a BPV.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    you're a BPV.
    Doctor said it would clear in 6 weeks.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

OK, here are the dyno sheets, after 9 pulls randy had her at 242. pretty good for starting out mods.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0866.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	104647

Stock tune?

Jesus your power numbers are going into tachycardia

I know. its like my car is having a heart attack at high rpms. It feels pretty smooth when I am driving but I don't really pull hard like a DYNO pull when I am driving.
    Last edited by deepseastetson; 05-07-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Some good numbers though. Congrats!

Its good for now. good power and still drives real smooth. after the 2000 bucks i just spent on the motor im just going to do some less expensive mods. Plastidip the wheels is next.

Decided to Plasti-dip the wheels black.

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	104731

Name:	IMG_0885.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	104732
    Havnt decided yet if i am going to clear coat them. might just keep the flat black look, or maybe gloss

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	104774
    Not bad for only 15 bucks worth of supplies

Name:	IMG_0891.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	104775
    I am semi pleased with the results. I dont think i put it on thick enough. It seems like it will chip and peel off easily. I will probably end up powder coating them because i like the stock rims black.

After recouping from the engine rebuild i am now ready to pick up where i left off except the Mishimoto radiator cap is failing spewing coolant all over my engine bay. I ordered this:

Prova Sports 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap at RallySportDirect.com

hope this holds up better than the Mishimoto one.

Aside from that i am ready another engine mod. What should i do next? I was going to throw away the Turbo XS BOV and replace it with a Go fast bits Hybrid. What say you guys? I really want to upgrade the TMIC. The Process West one looks awesome but its almost a grand!
    Last edited by deepseastetson; 06-22-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Holy Crap!! I just cleaned my MAF Sensor, it was pretty dirty. I can not believe the difference it made. Now my car has high miles on it and the previous owner may have never done it but the feel of my car is amazing. no more stuttering after gear changes. quick off the line and powerband is seriously smooth. I wish i would have done this as soon as i bought my car. Literally took me 5-10 minutes and only cost 7 bucks for the can of cleaner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123