Modest 02 bugeye build - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Modest 02 bugeye build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Mike193 Mikie, not sure if you know the answer to this, but if the BPV is more ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Mikie, not sure if you know the answer to this, but if the BPV is more effective then the BOV (i've read all the threads, the summary I understand is, the BPV re-uses the pressure and has it available for the engine quicker, and the BOV gets rid of it, causing the turbo to have to create more) Basically my question is, in what situation is the BOV better then the BPV? i was thinking the BPV would be better no matter what situation. But I guess maybe like a quick spooling turbo, it doesn't matter? I'm lost, please explain if you know.
    In most instances a BOV won't be better, period. Usually they are only used in much higher horsepower situations where boost will be raised significantly higher. The stock BPV on 02-07 models are good to about 20-22psi before they run into a possibility of leaking boost. And on the 2008-2012 models, the BPV is actually known to be a lot weaker from what I've read. Replacing with aftermarket recirculating BPVs aren't a bad idea for an upgrade if you start pushing Stage 2 power levels, which usually is higher than 19psi in STIs (17psi or so in WRXs I believe).

BOVs can be run if the intake metering is changed from MAF, (which we currently have which pre-meters the air, accounting for the recirculated air pushed in from a BPV) to a MAP set up, which is manifold absolute pressure (aka Speed Density). The ECU would read the air already in the manifold as opposed to the air being metered in from the intake, in which case it wouldn't matter if the recirculated BPV charge was in there or not.

The BPV generally doesn't have anything to do with the spooling of the turbo...only with the discharging of excess pressure during shifting.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ +1. This should be stickied in the BOV thread!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Did you have to pull the motor?

Yes, the motor had to come out.

Yeah I didn't wanna do that.. So I sold it and bought another one did you take it out yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    ^ +1. This should be stickied in the BOV thread!
    Holy **** I said something that made sense???

I feel like Frank the Tank from Old School in the debate scene. "I dunno what came over me!"
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

no, i dont have the means or the time to do it so i had Subaru do it. It has been a mess ever since. After the work was done on it they gave it back to me with a CEL on. Technician ran the code and realized that he left the knock sensor unplugged when he reinstalled the motor. First day i get it back the motor starts cutting in and out hard and eventually stalling out. brought it back to the dealer and they have had it for a week because they cant figure out whats wrong. They had to call the "technician hotline" because they think its either the ECU or the ignition switch relay but they dont know.

Thread from the dealership making me mad The dealership is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    In most instances a BOV won't be better, period. Usually they are only used in much higher horsepower situations where boost will be raised significantly higher. The stock BPV on 02-07 models are good to about 20-22psi before they run into a possibility of leaking boost. And on the 2008-2012 models, the BPV is actually known to be a lot weaker from what I've read. Replacing with aftermarket recirculating BPVs aren't a bad idea for an upgrade if you start pushing Stage 2 power levels, which usually is higher than 19psi in STIs (17psi or so in WRXs I believe).

BOVs can be run if the intake metering is changed from MAF, (which we currently have which pre-meters the air, accounting for the recirculated air pushed in from a BPV) to a MAP set up, which is manifold absolute pressure (aka Speed Density). The ECU would read the air already in the manifold as opposed to the air being metered in from the intake, in which case it wouldn't matter if the recirculated BPV charge was in there or not.

The BPV generally doesn't have anything to do with the spooling of the turbo...only with the discharging of excess pressure during shifting.
    Thank you very much for clarifying, I understand a bit better now. Sorry for going off topic a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Thank you very much for clarifying, I understand a bit better now. Sorry for going off topic a bit here.
    Not a problem

Update on the dealer fiasco:
    So the dealer heard back from the "technician hotline" (I think its hilarious that they tell me that) and they sent the dealer some wiring schematics to go through. he told me it was a long process to check all the wiring but i was not being charged for it. They have no idea what is causing the problem but he did say that i could be a pinched line from reinstalling the motor. This makes sense to me because i dont think they did a very good job. so this means the dealer is still going to have my car for a bit longer. meanwhile i am driving a base model 2012 forester piece of crap courtesy car.

Why's it so crappy? I thought the new Foresters were supposed to be pretty nice.

Its like super baseline. horrible stereo. very plain interior, and gets horrible gas mileage. I just really miss my car because i had just done a bunch of driveline and suspension work and i LOVE driving it. The dealer said it was most likely going to take a long time to go through the electrical to find the problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Horrible mileage? It's rated for 21/27, better than your bugeye. I imagine you're driving the nuts off of it trying to match the WRX's feel though.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Ah yeah I can imagine. Just a bland ride then...well, hope they figure it out asap for you

oh the little MPG reader on the dash is always reading like 12-15. it probably needs to be reset at fill up to get an accurate reading. My WRX gets like 350 mile per tank and i think its like a 15.9 gal tank and i never run it to super empty so i think i get like 21-25 MPG. When i fill it it is rare that it takes more than 12 gallons so who knows.
    Last edited by deepseastetson; 05-04-2012 at 02:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.