Piecing my 2.0's future build - Suggestions/Help please

This is a discussion on Piecing my 2.0's future build - Suggestions/Help please within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bought my 2004 WRX about a month ago with 68k miles. Been working on my research. Over the past 4 ...

Piecing my 2.0's future build - Suggestions/Help please

Bought my 2004 WRX about a month ago with 68k miles. Been working on my research. Over the past 4 weeks I've installed catless DP and custom 3" exhaust, which I hope to replace with a good catback some day soon. I ordered a grimmspeed uppipe today, so that should be installed soon. Bought a Cobb AP and have stage 2 running. Car came with a HKS intake as well.

So originally I thought if i liked my wrx, instead of throwing money into it I would just upgrade to an STI down the road, instead of having to stop at the roughly 300hp before the engine internals need replaced (this is what i've gathered so far). Anyhow, now that I'm starting to really fall in love with my little car, I'm thinking i want to push this engine before I dive into an STI.

Basics of what I want to add to car

650cc injectors - Do i need to go bigger? Will a pair of used pinks suffice for a 300awhp build?
    255lph walbro fuel pump - Already bought with install kit for wrx
    Larger Turbo - Is 16g enough? Is there a good used STI turbo that bolts on directly? I get confused with the VF and TDs. Any reccomendations welcome
    TMIC - Not looking to go FMIC, So a larger core. Used STI, or anything decently priced. Can't see myself paying $800+

Anything I am missing that is essential to a 2.0L Build?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

VF34/39's bolt right up to the car? Should I look into buying one of those as a cheaper alternative?

You also need to factor in the braking and suspension mods you need to go along with that extra power. Better pads and fluid would suffice for the brakes (barely) and some springs, struts, and sways would be good for the suspension.

What you do really depends on your budget. It's impossible to answer without knowing that.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerkanadian View Post
    VF34/39's bolt right up to the car? Should I look into buying one of those as a cheaper alternative?
    They do bolt right up. Finding them used is the cheaper alternative. Factory prices are around 1200 bucks for VF series turbos.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You also need to factor in the braking and suspension mods you need to go along with that extra power. Better pads and fluid would suffice for the brakes (barely) and some springs, struts, and sways would be good for the suspension.

What you do really depends on your budget. It's impossible to answer without knowing that.
    My car has Cusco adjustable coilovers, with front and rear strut tower bars. Also a bolt on front Chasis Brace. Will be looking into whiteline sway bars in the future.

Car has front VTTR 6 piston big brake kit right now. I don't know how long they will stay on the car. The pads cost $330 shipped from across the world.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My car has Cusco adjustable coilovers, with front and rear strut tower bars. Also a bolt on front Chasis Brace. Will be looking into whiteline sway bars in the future.

Car has front VTTR 6 piston big brake kit right now. I don't know how long they will stay on the car. The pads cost $330 shipped from across the world.
    Eh...if they are already on the car, I'd just leave it.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Hopefully the current pads last me a while though.

Can a TD05 off of an STI boost enough to hit in the 300AWP ballpark?

Any idea why the car had the upgraded suspension and brakes when you got it, but not any added power? That's a little strange, though it's possible somebody did those mods for autox where your power doesn't help nearly as much as suspension and braking do.

Those are a high quality set of coilovers, so your suspension should be in pretty good shape, especially once you add those sway bars. VTTR unfortunately is a very small company and you can only get their brake pads to fit their calipers. Maybe there's something else on the market that would fit, but you'd have to take a set of the pads you have and compare the size of them to a bunch of other ones available. I've heard of VTTR before, but they mostly sell in Asia, and there's really no information out there about how they compare to other companies. I look at it as a perfect case of "you get what you pay for" and I think they're probably decent quality, but certainly not up to par with Brembo, Stoptech, etc.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Hopefully the current pads last me a while though.

Can a TD05 off of an STI boost enough to hit in the 300AWP ballpark?
    That really depends on the supporting mods and your tuner. Personally, I think that's going to be on the high side of what you can get.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Honestly, the guy I bought the car from knew absolutly nothing about the car. It was kind of sad, especially since he used to own a bugeye as well. I didn't really ask about the guy who owned it before him, as i knew little about the WRX's when i bought mine. I had to figure out what had been added to the car myself. I was kind of just in a hurry to pick up this car because I was planning on AutoXing this year with my buddy.

The only real power "mod" this car had, was a boost controller which was causing the car to throw codes and over boost. I dunno, I really don't know. Edit: Oh yeah, and a HKS intake with one of those foam filters, but not a big fan of that.
    Last edited by Killerkanadian; 04-20-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Do the VF39's and 34's require one of the aftermarket Turbo Inlets?

Cobb doesn't offer a map for that intake, plus it's a hot air intake. I'd find a stock airbox or buy a quality intake, and then you need one that Cobb has a map for, or you'll need a protune.

No you don't need aftermarket turbo inlets for OEM turbos, but it's not a bad idea.

Next time you buy a used car like this, I'd highly recommend you come on a forum like this and ask about it. I would NEVER have recommended buying a car that was incorrectly modded. Who knows what damage has been done to that engine...
    Scott

Bought my 2004 WRX about a month ago with 68k miles. Been working on my research. Over the past 4 weeks I've installed catless DP and custom 3" exhaust, which I hope to replace with a good catback some day soon. I ordered a grimmspeed uppipe today, so that should be installed soon. Bought a Cobb AP and have stage 2 running. Car came with a HKS intake as well.

So originally I thought if i liked my wrx, instead of throwing money into it I would just upgrade to an STI down the road, instead of having to stop at the roughly 300hp before the engine internals need replaced (this is what i've gathered so far). Anyhow, now that I'm starting to really fall in love with my little car, I'm thinking i want to push this engine before I dive into an STI.

Basics of what I want to add to car

650cc injectors - Do i need to go bigger? Will a pair of used pinks suffice for a 300awhp build?
    255lph walbro fuel pump - Already bought with install kit for wrx
    Larger Turbo - Is 16g enough? Is there a good used STI turbo that bolts on directly? I get confused with the VF and TDs. Any reccomendations welcome
    TMIC - Not looking to go FMIC, So a larger core. Used STI, or anything decently priced. Can't see myself paying $800+

Anything I am missing that is essential to a 2.0L Build?
    As far as TMIC suggestion for cheap i like Fast Motorsports TMIC $350 and 2 times the volume over stock with stock placement.

Turbo wise I would do the Blouch TD05H.( Is what I am doing in mine.)Heard wonderful things about them.