New to the Stages!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the Stages! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking to learn more abou thte different stages. What all intails stage one and and stage two? I'm personaly ...

New to the Stages!

I'm looking to learn more abou thte different stages. What all intails stage one and and stage two? I'm personaly trying to do a complete intake to exhaust back after market sysem and a BOV. I am also wanting to learn that does it matter to run all the same barnd such as perrin intake down pipe and full exhasut, will you see the best results that way? Also my turbo is getting old it has 110k on it and im thinking about upgrading the stock 05 turbo to something else im not trying to run super high boost or anything maybe something that will spool really quick and easy but is cheap because i dont want super high boost, maybe a new wrx's turbo like an 09 or something. Suggestions, whatever help i can get!!! Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Stage one is all stock parts with a tune, stage two is with a downpipe (otherwise completely stock) with a tune.

For your car (I'm assuming an 05 WRX?) an intake would be a waste of money, and so is a BOV. Both will reduce the reliability of your car without adding any power and should be custom tuned for.

Brand does not matter, as long as the parts are well made.

The 08+ WRX uses the LGT turbo setup, so it won't bolt up to your 2005 WRX.

If you're wanting to upgrade your turbo I recommend making sure you're up to date on all maintenance first (timing belt, water pump, etc.). Then I would have a compression test done to make sure your engine is in good condition.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a ton of info on these forums.. At 110k make sure you have a compression test and leak down test performed to make sure you have a good bottom end to start with.

An intake on an 05 Wrx is a waste of money. The oem is good for upwards of 400hp.

Turbocharged subarus use a maf sensor that meters air, the air sensor is prior to the BPV so a BOV is ruining the cars air fuel mixture.

Stage 1 is no modifications to the motor, just an ecu tune.

Stage 2 is a removal of all restrictive catalytic converters, up pipe, downpipe and cat back exhaust. You can choose to run a catalytic converter in the downpipe as long as its a high flow.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I'm not sure what you consider "cheap", but to do a small turbo upgrade, assuming your car is currently stock, you're going to need to spend around $2,500 to have a reliable setup (exhaust, turbo, injectors, fuel pump, and tune). If it were me I would get a 3-port EBCS and a quality TMIC to go with it (which will add about another $800).

Don't get sucked into the "cheap" turbo market. They perform poorly and have horrendous reliability.. for an inexpensive quick spooling upgrade for your car there is pretty much only one turbo I would personally go with: Subaru WRX/STi TD05H-16G-XT Turbocharger

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    For an 05 - doesn't a stage 2 require an upgraded up-pipe?
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Technically, stage two is nothing more than a downpipe and a tune.. but for any 2.0L WRX removing the catalytic converter from the uppipe is the first thing that should be done.

I already have a perrin intake and turbo inlet pipe it came with the car when i bought it. so down pipe and full exhaust with a tun will let me see some better power but remain reliable. The turbo i guess sill just put a used stock on there with not so many miles? Im not looking to push the psi up just have a good spool/pull. The BOV will actually hurt the car?

oh and will removing the cat from the down pipe make it not pass emission you think?

Is there something wrong with the turbo that is on the car? If it's working fine I would just leave it alone.

A BOV that vents to the atmosphere will cause the car to run extremely rich between shifts since it is releasing air that has already been measured by the MAF and fuel is being dumped for that air.

Any change to the cars emissions (including catalytic converters) is illegal and will potentially cause the car to not pass visual inspection. Whether or not it will pass emissions depends on what emissions testing they do in your county. I know in states that have strict emissions laws even downpipes with high flow catalytic converters will not pass.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are no blanket stages for the car. That said, people typically follow Cobb when it comes to basic modifications. MainFrame already outlined what is commonly referred to as "StageI" and "StageII". Beyond that, it's a "list what you got" type thing.

You need a custom tune for the Perrin intake; a base map like the Cobb AP will not be sufficient. Where about are you located so we can recommend you a shop in your area?

As mentioned, sticking with one brand is not necessary to net the best power. Choose your catback based on the sound you want (hit up local meets and listen to the various exhausts other owners have). Then, choose your downpipe accordingly (one that will either be full 3" or taper to 2.5") based on your catback choice.

Also, as mentioned, every 2.0L car should have an uppipe installed before any further power upgrades are applied.

In regards to a BOV, be aware that it does not improve performance. By the time your OE valve is no longer sufficient, you'll have enough invested in the car that another $300 for a BOV isn't a big deal. Until then, it just makes noise and causes minor fueling issues due our cars being MAF-referenced.

In regards to inspection, without knowing where you're located, we can't answer the question for you.
    Last edited by EJ257; 03-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bswan657 View Post
    oh and will removing the cat from the down pipe make it not pass emission you think?
    Removing the cat will make the car illegal for use on any public road anywhere in the US. It should make the car fail emissions. Whether it does or not depends on your locale, the nature of the emissions test to which the car is subjected, and whether the person testing the car is awake. In practice you will get a CEL, but if you fix this (see "resistor fix") and if your installation be discreet, it is likely you will pass.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'm located in colorado. I think i have a good feel for it now ive heard getting an uppipe i want to do an exhaust as well. Is a Downpipe important to an 05's exhaust or will the stock be good?

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Upgrading the downpipe along with a good tune will help improve power. You can also get one with a catalytic converter so you stay emissions legal as well.

If you need any prices, let me know.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Do you guys suggesting using a cobb access or is an open source just as good?

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bswan657 View Post
    Do you guys suggesting using a cobb access or is an open source just as good?
    COBB is good for most peoples setups and especially basic modifications.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast