Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics!
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok! Here we go... I intend for this thread to be where I document pretty much anything related to my ...

Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics!

Ok! Here we go...

I intend for this thread to be where I document pretty much anything related to my car. Sort of a journal, really, so expect those long-winded posts I warned everyone about in my Intro thread.

It took me a bit to figure out what forum to put this in, hence the delay since I picked up the car on Friday afternoon after buggering out of work early So, first things first! I took the subway to the NJ train, where my sister was kind enough to pick me up so I didn't have to walk the mile and a half to the dealership. We get there and my salesman was running around a bit, so after the sis and I debate whether she should get an Outback Sport or a Forester to replace her Mini, he asks a young guy to take me to see my car. He further explained that when it came in, someone put it right out front. He immediately said "no no no" and had them hide it in the back. I confess that one of my fears was that some idiot would let someone test drive it, so this was a relief. So, without further ado:

Taken with my cell phone by my sis; as you can see I am in the middle of talking, explaining to her how to take a picture whilst completely forgetting that she owns the exact same phone as me.

So she took off, and I was left to go through the paces. Cherry Hill Subaru made it very quick and painless, so in well under an hour I was on my way...
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I couldn't go right home, I had to start making a dent in that 1000 miles. So I drove out to Voorhees to my Mom's office. She really liked it, and asked "Is it really loud??" Apparently she noticed someone pull into her parking lot earlier in the day with what I'm guessing was a blobeye and they had exhaust on it. I then drove back home to present the new car to the fiance. She wholeheartedly approved. It is "much more comfortable" and "not as jerky" as my RSX. So with her seal of approval we went out to dinner to celebrate.

Observations in the first day:

The engine didn't seem to wake up until about 35 miles or so had past. I was, and am continuing to, shifting around 3000 rpms and only giving it about 1/4 throttle at most. I've taken it above 3k twice, once by accident when I hit about 4500, and another time when I fearlessly accelerated at half throttle to about 4k. My point being, I am really driving like a wuss.

And holy ****.

Since the engine has started to wake up, there's this weird sensation. Now, I know I sold my RSX almost 2 weeks ago and have been taking the train, not driving, since then. But I distinctly remember how a car works. You hit the gas pedal, the car kinda moves forward. To get pushed back in your seat, you rev it past 6000 rpms. So the fact that my new car lurches forward when I'm at a mere 2k rpms with little throttle indicates to me that there is something wrong with th...wait, what's that? Torque? Never heard of it. But it's normal?

Seriously though, even with my babying the car, I have found myself going much much faster than the posted speed limit without realizing it. This 1000 miles better go quick.
    - Will

So yesterday, my first full day with the car, was spent getting to know her and putting some more miles under her belt. By the end of the day I was up to a bit over 150 miles, and loving the car more and more. I know the STI is the better handling car, but for my needs this car is fantastic. All those reviews I read complaining...really there's not much to complain about from my perspective. Unless it's sitting next to a STI.

But for me, it is right where I want it, though I'm sure that will change over time. It corners very very well, and I haven't pushed it really yet since I don't know it too well. I was in a large parking lot at one point though and gave it a couple hard turns...it felt great to me. No tire squealing, body roll was very controlled. I do have to realize I am coming from a 9 year old RSX on original suspension, but I am thrilled with the Rex. So, it corners like I want it to, that's good for one aspect of my commute (which includes Kelly and Lincoln Drive) as well as my fun driving (which is typically twisty PA back roads). What about the other aspect?

The crappy roads. We have lots of crappy roads around here. I am pleased to say that the Rex impressed me the most with it's handling of rough road, moreso than it's cornering ability. It feels like it was made to go over bumps and holes, and it does so very comfortably imo with no sign of getting knocked off it's feet. That was one thing I didn't like about the Mazdaspeed3, it was terribly uncomfortable over bad roads and it seemed like you might not want to be hitting a bump or hole while cornering, accelerating, or braking hard. The Rex just eats them up.

So:

Comfort? Check.
    Handling? Check.
    Speed? Not even really testing this out yet, but definitely check.
    Brakes? Didn't mention this, but when I test drove one way back in Dec, I was worried. Now I know that the brakes are pretty good, they just have a more progressive feel compared to my RSX, which I had set up to be pretty bitey. I'll eventually want some more bite to these brakes, but that's not a priority like I thought it might be.

Really, the only thing that I feel I took a step backwards with is the transmission. Which is not really the Rex's fault, as the RSX's trans was fantastic. So I'm already thinking that improving the shifting will be the first performance mod. I have no problems with it, I just would like the feel to be tighter and the gates more distinct. I haven't missed a shift yet, but I'm also not driving hard. So, 150 miles in, and I am in love.
    - Will

Congrats. I'm about 1,200 miles in and the drive is pretty great.

On the transmission - Mine felt pretty clunky at first. It seems to have smoothed out after a few hundred miles. It doesn't always slide right into reverse but shifting is pretty slick now.

So, here are a few shots from my drive yesterday.

I intend to spend some highway time today to get another big chunk of that 1000 miles done, and depending on time I may debadge the rear. Those bastards at Cherry Hill put their silly badge on there even though I told them it was a waste of money, as I would be taking all the badging off. Oh well!

One other thing, I realized yesterday that I have no inspection stickers! I fully intend to call up the dealer tomorrow to get the what's what.

Ok, back to making a good mix for today's drive! Heading to Victory to fill up a growler...and taking the long way!
    - Will

Congrats.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    And holy ****.

I distinctly remember how a car works. You hit the gas pedal, the car kinda moves forward. To get pushed back in your seat, you rev it past 6000 rpms. So the fact that my new car lurches forward when I'm at a mere 2k rpms with little throttle indicates to me that there is something wrong with th...wait, what's that? Torque? Never heard of it. But it's normal?

Seriously though, even with my babying the car, I have found myself going much much faster than the posted speed limit without realizing it.
    First let me say that you look exactly as I imagined you lol. That doesn't happen very often.

Second, I feel the same as you about the feeling of torque. Coming from my 94 Integra it is night and day! Oh and don't worry about the speeding. At least you didn't get a ticket like I did lol. Exactly one week after getting mine I was caught doing 76 in a 55. I honestly didn't know I was going that fast and I explained to the cop my situation and I think he went easy on me. Still have to go to court on the 20th because of TN's crazy ticket enforcement. They make you go to court for everything!

Anyway, congrats on the purchase! Look forward to hearing more stories!!!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad you're enjoying the car

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball
    I'm also not driving hard.
    Give the car some boost. Don't necessarily WOT it, but make sure you see some positive MRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball
    I intend to spend some highway time today to get another big chunk of that 1000 miles done
    Be sure to keep the RPMs varied. Cruising at a steady speed doesn't help.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    The love affair begins ...

Keep on writing ... I always enjoy well thought out and expressed posts. That said, that's all I have to say.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 93, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats it was a long wait though im sure you can agree that it was worth it. I ended up debageing mine today GooGone and some string. My inspection sticker the dealership gave me and I just added it myself. Check all of the info the paperwork they gave you.

OMG Dude that was a lot!..but i read it all.lol
    Congrats on the car again Calvin. Car is looking nice and good to see people cars are arriving
    2012 DGM WRX Hatch // SPT CBE // Cobb AP Stage 1 // 35% tint

I Support ClubWRX
    Congratulations.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

You should invest in some shifter bushings and, if you don't already have, a short shifter.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by shulikrw View Post
    Congrats. I'm about 1,200 miles in and the drive is pretty great.

On the transmission - Mine felt pretty clunky at first. It seems to have smoothed out after a few hundred miles. It doesn't always slide right into reverse but shifting is pretty slick now.
    Thanks! Yeah, I'll see how the shifting feels after some more time, but I have a feeling a short shifter and bushings may be my first mod.

Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    Congrats.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    First let me say that you look exactly as I imagined you lol. That doesn't happen very often.

Second, I feel the same as you about the feeling of torque. Coming from my 94 Integra it is night and day! Oh and don't worry about the speeding. At least you didn't get a ticket like I did lol. Exactly one week after getting mine I was caught doing 76 in a 55. I honestly didn't know I was going that fast and I explained to the cop my situation and I think he went easy on me. Still have to go to court on the 20th because of TN's crazy ticket enforcement. They make you go to court for everything!

Anyway, congrats on the purchase! Look forward to hearing more stories!!!
    That sucks about the ticket!! Yeah, I'm going to have to get used to being in an aggressively styled explosion of blue. I drove by a cop yesterday who was sitting in his cruiser in the median, he gave me a good long look

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Glad you're enjoying the car

Give the car some boost. Don't necessarily WOT it, but make sure you see some positive MRP.

Be sure to keep the RPMs varied. Cruising at a steady speed doesn't help.
    Noted, and done! After your advice I changed the route I was going to take to be less turnpike. I also started giving her some boost, doing about half throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    The love affair begins ...

Keep on writing ... I always enjoy well thought out and expressed posts. That said, that's all I have to say.
    Hahaha, thanks! I can't promise they'll all be that long, but I'll try

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Congrats it was a long wait though im sure you can agree that it was worth it. I ended up debageing mine today GooGone and some string. My inspection sticker the dealership gave me and I just added it myself. Check all of the info the paperwork they gave you.
    I'm just going to give em a call today. It's my first "new" new car, so I don't mind asking them questions Debadging didn't happen yesterday, when I finally got home I had to do some brewing work, then get dinner started. Smoked chicken = YUM

Quote Originally Posted by m[dot] View Post
    OMG Dude that was a lot!..but i read it all.lol
    Congrats on the car again Calvin. Car is looking nice and good to see people cars are arriving
    Thanks! And I appreciate your endurance in reading haha

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Congratulations.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
    You should invest in some shifter bushings and, if you don't already have, a short shifter.
    I'm fairly certain this'll be the first mod, I'm gonna give it some time though and let the tranny break in.
    - Will

Congrats buddy!

I feel like you should've let some of us know what time you were heading up there, we could've had a lil party at cherry hill subaru for you!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast