Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! - Page 9
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by rage-wrx i hope you have leather seats....

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    i hope you have leather seats.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I live 1 minute from those Bucks County roads you speak of. I'm at 800 miles today after driving back from NY. Waiting for 1000 to roll by and then its game on! Send me a PM next time your going to drive the local roads. If I'm around, I'd like to join in and meet some people.

On another note, I'm going to Shades of Gray tomorrow morning to get 30 or 40% tint on my SWP hatch. My sweaty dog will greatly appreciate it on long drives!
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

%30 will look great on the SWP, especially cause the interior is dark...that will enhance the darkness of the tint without blacking it out too much.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    +1 on 30%. If you haven't already, check out the tint thread to see examples. Should help you you pin it down.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 93, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    +2 on 30%.

I have 20% & feel like I should have gone lighter to avoid attention from the tint police.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I'm pretty set on 30% for all sides. I may go a little darker in the back, but that will be a game time decision. Will post pics in the tint thread when its done (tomorrow, no available appointments earlier).

Pics!

Whew! Been a while since I posted in this thread. I haven't really done anything new with the car beyond some washes, getting to know her. Last night was interesting though, so I thought I'd share for any other weirdos who like to read slightly boring stories about our cars

So, last night was easily the worst weather I've seen since I got the car. Don't worry, I'm not gonna talk about how I rocketed down the highway at 90mph cause AWDLOLZ. It was straight nasty out, I stuck to my usual 5-10mph slower-than-usual bad weather driving. However, there were two moments that stuck out.

The first was when I got off 95 to get onto 73. I came up to a light and on the other side of the intersection, maybe a couple hundred feet, there was a car with hazards on who was partially blocking the right lane (which I was in). An older Eclipse pulled up to the light next to me in the left lane, and kept creeping and creeping. I had no intention of launching the car, but decided I would drive off of the green light with a little more gusto than usual, in the hopes of being able to get far enough forward so I could just pop into the left lane a bit to easily avoid the parked car with hazards on. I got a nice grin when I was able to take off from a stop with absolutely no difference from a dry road. Any other car I've had that slightly aggressive acceleration would have left me with spinning tires.

Later, when I was almost home, I had the same experience but not in a good way. I stopped at a red light on an uphill. Still pouring rain. It was late at night and I was pretty tired, so I wasn't really thinking too much about what I was doing. As far as I can figure, I must have had a habit of goosing the throttle a little more/longer than usual and slipping the clutch a bit in my old car in similar low-traction uphill situations. This resulted in me completely accidentally launching the WRX uphill in the pouring rain as the wheels just hooked up like I was trying to set a 1/4 time. I was fully alert after that as I finished my drive home basking in the smell of clutch, and I contemplated how I need to continue to change my driving habits as my life with this car continues.

Finally, since I know reading is a chore on a monday morning, here's a pic from last weekend up in Maine. I meant to put up my thoughts on the Rex as a road trip car, but perhaps another time.
    - Will

I was driving home in some heavy rain on the PA Tpk last night. Hit a long patch of water in the left lane that would have easily made my previous AWD "SUV" very squirrely and a bit scary. The WRX held it with no problem at all. Its even more impressive since I am on the stock summer tires.

Pics!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has forgotten they were in an AWD vehicle in the rain and punched it like they were in a FWD vehicle! That really is quite the surprise.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I was driving home from MD to just passed philly last night in that crap...except I was driving my gf's POS 03 Chevy Tracker. The 4WD doesnt work very well and the aerodynamics of the vehicle are non-existant. I always have the feeling that going around turns/curves in that thing that the front wheels are going to slip, and lock up and we are going to crash. I was really wishing I had been in my subie.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by WRXpa View Post
    I was driving home in some heavy rain on the PA Tpk last night. Hit a long patch of water in the left lane that would have easily made my previous AWD "SUV" very squirrely and a bit scary. The WRX held it with no problem at all. Its even more impressive since I am on the stock summer tires.
    I forgot about that, but that happened to me as well. Visibility was just awful, so I drove through some standing water in a few spots on neighborhood roads without really slowing down. The RSX would've been thrown off track and gotten scary. WRX tracked through with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has forgotten they were in an AWD vehicle in the rain and punched it like they were in a FWD vehicle! That really is quite the surprise.
    Haha, glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    I was driving home from MD to just passed philly last night in that crap...except I was driving my gf's POS 03 Chevy Tracker. The 4WD doesnt work very well and the aerodynamics of the vehicle are non-existant. I always have the feeling that going around turns/curves in that thing that the front wheels are going to slip, and lock up and we are going to crash. I was really wishing I had been in my subie.
    - Will

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    There is nothing quite like swapping from two totally different types of vehicles to appreciate the differences between them. Driving my friends extended Dodge Van this weekend, with its long braking distances, floaty steering and Titanic handling was a chore - though it hauled all the stuff I had without any problem. Then I slip into my car, massively overbreak at the first stop sign I come to, then marvel at the acceleration and cornering I experience ... all before I even get to 35 mph. Sigh of relief.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 93, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Do you miss the RSX?

That's what I currently have but I'm looking to sell it and get a WRX. I miss the boost, and in Colorado the AWD is pretty awesome; a lot of fun to get it sideways in the snow haha.

I did have an 08 WRX before and I always felt like each car were pretty different. I really feel like the RSX has a lot less body roll and is more predictable. Kind of like that cart feeling you're talking about haha. I think that I will miss the RSX though

Quote Originally Posted by Honda_K_Power View Post
    Do you miss the RSX?

That's what I currently have but I'm looking to sell it and get a WRX. I miss the boost, and in Colorado the AWD is pretty awesome; a lot of fun to get it sideways in the snow haha.

I did have an 08 WRX before and I always felt like each car were pretty different. I really feel like the RSX has a lot less body roll and is more predictable. Kind of like that cart feeling you're talking about haha. I think that I will miss the RSX though
    Crap! Somehow I missed this, guess I'm not subscribed to my own thread

I don't really miss the RSX. The handling feel was certainly different, and yes I do notice the body roll in the WRX more, but to me the Rex still drives much better. I guess the way I would describe it is that the WRX is more dynamic going through a corner. By that I mean that I feel more movement, not just body roll but also as far as the line the car is taking. But I think that is a good thing, and a result of the car being so much better at rotating off throttle input. The RSX you could say was less squirrely (or more predictable, as you said) through a corner, but if I went into a turn understeering, then I was understeering. The WRX seems much more responsive to input while in a corner. And now that I've got a few months under my belt with it, I can take turns significantly quicker than I could with the RSX, even though the RSX had better weight distribution and less body roll. So, stock for stock, the WRX handles much better in my mind, even if it isn't quite as cleanly.

I also don't miss having to have the engine be spinning over 5500 rpms to really be making power. Yes, the WRX has turbo lag, but it is so much more liveable.

I always liked having sleepers, too. But I find that I am really enjoying having people compliment my car, or point at it as I drive by, or wave to me if they too drive a scooby. Heck, I would have trouble getting car guys in other cars to even wave back to me in the RSX, the WRX just seems to communicate to others that I enjoy cars.

Finally, a relationship with a car is a pretty subjective thing. For a while before I got the WRX, I was dealing with an older car that had a lot of nvh that my aging brain and body wasn't really appreciating anymore, a several month headache with check engine lights, size that was soon to not be fitting my life anymore, etc etc. So I was mentally divorced from it many months before I even sold it.
    - Will

I definitely feel that I'm driving a more "respected" car with the WRX, for whatever that's worth. I too came from an RSX-S. The WRX is without question, the next level of speed and sportiness, especially once you start modding.

Pics!