Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! - Page 8
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by spirited09wrx depends on where in the philly area you live. but these roads are in like new ...

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    depends on where in the philly area you live. but these roads are in like new hope area. I just headed that way and "flipped a coin" with left right or straight.
    I live near the airport if that helps any lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rico516 View Post
    I live near the airport if that helps any lol
    Hmm...the Buck's county roads are a bit of a hike from you. I believe there are some good back roads out in Chester county, at least I know I've been on some and the guys who do the Victory meets have some found some. I'm not as familiar with that area though, couldn't tell you exactly where to go.

If you did really want to check out the Buck's county roads, your best bet would probably be to take 95 all the way to the last exit before NJ, then get on River Road and head north. Once you get up there a bit, past New Hope, just take a left anywhere and start exploring! Just make sure you bring a GPS haha.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

282 and 100 and their tributaries have a lot of good curves in Chester County.

CB is spot on with getting to the Bucks County roads.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Calvin ball : I'll have my iPhone lol that's my gps haha

Mikie : thanks I'll check out those roads in Chester county

Enjoy!!!

I'll have to get out for some more cruises once I get my summers on...and my rear struts replaced...and Stage 2...and yeah...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

First off...the pics!

My whip and my cruising buddy's GTI

Casualty of war...

Another one bites the dust!

My buddy said after the drive: "Whenever I looked in my rearview and saw that widetrack, it brought a smile."

You can kinda make out my friend's custom Bender decal in this one, that's his username in forums.

Who knows who this is, but gotta love the vanity plate.
    - Will

Ok, so I went for my first "spirited" drive today. My friend Bender and I (he has actually joined this board, don't know if he's going to post or not) went out for a cruise on the Buck's County backroads here in Pennsylvania.

We started off by taking a ride in each other's cars down a bit of highway, u-turn via some off/on ramps, and then back. Besides seeing the Philadelphia Phanatic riding down the street randomly on his 4 wheeler, it was fun also for the experience of the cars. Since I had last been in his ride, he has bumped up to stage 2 and change, and done springs and sways. His car rode very nicely; strong acceleration and very planted on the curves. I did notice a bit of...hmm..."go-cart" feel. Not sure how else to describe it. On the one offramp it just felt very flat and took it well, but it also seemed to require constant input to keep it on a sweeping curve. I'll put that one down to it being early and things (the driver and car) being not warmed up yet. But if I had to compare, I'd say his new handling capabilities were more like the Mini Cooper S than my car. Not that that is a bad thing, just different.

Happily, when we took my car on the same roads, it performed admirably. I couldn't say who would be faster on the straight highway, both cars pull well, I have a feeling his power curve is smoother than my stock tune though. On the on/offramps I'd say that his felt more rail-like, but I was definitely able to match his speeds and even beat them at points.

On to the rest of the drive.

We took some well known (to us) backroads to and from River Road. For those who don't know, the backroads in this part of PA are basically old carriage roads that have been paved and some houses have sprung up on. It is a different type of driving from, say, canyon carving. There are parts that are absurdly entertaining, but you really have to know the roads to know where there are going to be residential areas where you shouldn't go fast. Also, let's not forget to mention there are trees everywhere so there are blind curves...it definitely helps to know these roads well so you know where there are going to be areas post-curve that you do not want to go fast on. Also, they are very much back roads, and can be in rough shape sometimes. All that said, here are my thoughts on how my new car handled the drive...

Wonderfully.

Seriously, back when I had the RSX, and before that the GTP, rough roads and potholes were things to be terrified of. This car, I'm not too worried at all. Granted, I doubt we were driving at more than 8/10s, but at that pace the WRX could handle almost every imperfection with no worry of being thrown of her track. When we were still taking turns in each other's cars, Bender said of the WRX on a rough road (may not be a direct quote but pretty close) "You're taking YOUR track through this road, the road isn't telling you where to go."

I kept up with his GTI without much problem, which was heartening to me. Let's not play fanboi here, the GTI has very excellent handling characteristics; the chassis is excellent and the FWD system is probably the best for handling lots of power out there (sorry MS3, but your limited slip/torque limiting system is not as good as the VW's simple engineering). And this particular GTI is making lots of power with springs and sways adding to the handling mix.

Subaru's AWD and suspension tuning is what helped me here. I have no delusions that I would blow him away in acceleration, except possibly from a stop if I hate my tranny, but the way the WRX handled the curves was fantastic. I know it isn't an STI, and maybe one of those would be even better on these roads (I don't know), but I thought the handling was excellently tuned for this drive. It was so easy and fun for me to adjust mid-turn (let's not forget, I barely know this car) and make every turn into an advantage. A little oversteer? A little understeer? Just give a bit more power and point the wheel where I want the car to go, it'll pull it there. I know I barely know AWD driving, but I feel like I learned a lot about my new car today, and I liked it.

I couldn't be happier with how the car handled this drive today. 9 times out of 10 when I'm going to be driving for fun, it's going to be on these empty (sometimes choppy) backroads of the hills of Buck's county, and this car seems perfectly tuned for them.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 03-24-2012 at 08:05 PM.
    - Will

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Sounds like a blast. I've driven a lot of those roads, and there are a lot of great twists and turns - some great driving and nice scenery. That said, sometimes there are tons of cyclists out there as well, so a close eye is vital. Some nice stops by the Delaware for food and drink as well.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP OTS Stage 1 93, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you have a lot of fun.

The car will handle a lot better once you change the swaybars & get a custom alignment.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    Sounds like a blast. I've driven a lot of those roads, and there are a lot of great twists and turns - some great driving and nice scenery. That said, sometimes there are tons of cyclists out there as well, so a close eye is vital. Some nice stops by the Delaware for food and drink as well.
    Yeah, we caught the window of good weather and it was a beautiful drive. The cyclists/pedestrians, well, as I mentioned that comes with knowing the roads. We did scout one new road and discovered that it will be no good. Too popular with walkers/bikers, narrow (yet still 2-way), and way too many blind curves. We drove that road in our backroad burning hatches at approximately 15-20 mph haha.
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Sounds like you have a lot of fun.

The car will handle a lot better once you change the swaybars & get a custom alignment.
    It was a great morning, and really solidified my feelings about buying this car. Sways are on the shortlist, but actually since I found out about Torqued Performance, stage 1 might be first. I do think the car has a good amount of power, but 1. there is never enough, and 2. the delivery could definitely stand to be smoothed out.

What do people do with the alignment that's different from stock? Or, should the question be, what's wrong with the stock alignment?
    - Will

couple degrees of negative camber in the front and rear, but not enough to mess up tire wear however...that with swaybars really will dial in your suspension.

ah I love cruising on those roads up there! I'm on the opposite side of Philly but used to go up there occasionally and it's really pretty out there by New Hope. There's some pretty solid roads to tackle around here too, basically between West Chester and Delaware. You're always surrounded by quite a but of civilization but out towards Downingtown and all it gets a bit more open, especially my ride over to Victory from my house. Congrats on the car, the latest model is my favorite to date.
    Float like a butterfly and sting like when I pee

Thanks! I can't believe it has only been 2.5 weeks, lots of memories already.

Such as today, when I took my co-worker for a spin. After the car warmed up I took him on a highway onramp. His family always had subarus while he was growing up, but we're talking base legacy wagons and such. I literally stopped him mid-sentence on the onramp when I punched it. We then took a pretty curvy offramp, and he apologized for peeing on my seats. Yet another terriefi....er...satisfied passenger in my new whip.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    i hope you have leather seats.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.