Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! - Page 21
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

This is a discussion on Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Cool story bro. Tell it again....

Cool story bro. Tell it again.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Cool story bro. Tell it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Good Morning One and All!

At the bequest of this forum's resident Duct Tape Expert, I am resurrecting this thread to put down some thoughts about my current car for posterity. When questioned as to why he wanted a review, he simply said "for knowledge." SO please direct all flames in Ruh Roh's general vicinity.

First things first, I do miss my WRX and wish I was getting a '15. Sadly, there is no way I could convince the finance department that I should switch cars AGAIN, and I was frankly astonished that she suggested it after only a year and a half with the Subaru. The fact that she said something unsolicited was one of the major turning points in my thought process about getting a different car.

Moving on to my thoughts on my 2014 Golf TurDI (as they are affectionately known on the vw forum I'm on):
    I've now had the TDI for 6 months, and have amassed just shy of 10k miles. The economic side of things has worked out as expected. This was essentially a completely lateral move as far as the cost of the car goes, both in total cost and in monthly payment. Obviously I lost some money long term from paying interest on the WRX for a year and a half, but oh well. What has worked as expected is that I do use almost half as much fuel. I used to have to fill up the rex every 6 days or so, this I can go 12-14. Diesel is more expensive, but until it's twice the cost of premium (which the rex and any other car I would consider requires) then I'm still making out very well.

But that's the boring stuff, on to the car itself.

I couldn't have gone from the rex to this car if it was just a matter of saving money on fuel for the large amount of miles I rack up. It still had to be a fun car to drive. "But Calvinballs, you dropped well over 100 hp and two (three?) drive wheels, what are you, ****ing silly in the head? Fun to drive...HA!"

Well, it definitely is not as fun to drive as the rex. But it is still fun to drive. Stock for stock, this has a stiffer suspension setup than the rex did. There is much less body roll in corners, though I do find that it gets upset by rough roads a bit more. It does understeer, but not any more than the rex did. Difference is, I have to pay more attention to my line because I can't just AWDPOWER my way through. With nearly WRX levels of torque available, and available at low rpms, I can shoot out of corners pretty well.

Where it falls flat on it's face is any kind of sustained acceleration. It is very punchy, but definitely a slow car in a straight line. That punchiness is fine and fun for me under my typical driving circumstances, but for those that consider quarter mile times and rolling races to be the definition of fun driving, this is definitely not the car for them.

What it is good at is being more go-carty in the city. The stiffish suspension and loads of low range torque makes surviving on city streets easy and enjoyable. It helps that it is also a pretty small car, length and width-wise. I can squeeze into some small spots that most other cannot, yet I didn't give up much in interior space from the rex.

I haven't really experienced much torque steer, but I have had to get used to wheel spin again. You just plain can't put down power in a fwd car like awd, but that's obvious. I think that part of the problem is crap stock all seasons, that have really shown their true, crappy colors a few times when I've had to stop quickly. I have a second set of wheels with summer tires ready to be picked up.
    On to other aspects of the car, including the much vaunted "quality" that is often the major point of contention when discussing VWs.

Obviously, interior quality and gadgets and such are not a top priority for me, or I would never have gotten a WRX in the first place. That said...

It is a nice cabin to be in. It's comfortable and the quality of materials is better. Example: the plastic covering the center console where the shifter is, in the rex I could push it and expose a gap between the console and the carpeting. The VW is solid and doesn't give. This is little stuff, but does make it feel more solid. I don't really care about that though.

What I am enjoying about VW's approach is some of the amenities. The stereo is vastly better than a subaru stereo. I had quite forgotten how much I like having a decent car stereo. I feel no desire to upgrade it as I did in the rex.

There are little touches that I enjoy. I enjoy having heated seats and side mirrors again. I know you can get those in a rex but I didn't have them. There are other things though that those anal germans thought about.

My windows all go up and down at the same speed! Lol, jk. But I can use the windows as an example of what I'm talking about. If they are all down when I park, I can hit the buttons (they are all auto up/down) then kill the power and they will continue to close without the key in the ignition. Another example; if I have the wipers on, when I put the car in reverse it will automatically swipe the rear wiper. These are examples of little convenience things, but I've noticed them and I appreciate them. The features of the car just seem much more thought out. Again, this is not a priority in choosing a car for me, but since I have it I do like it.

Plans for the car: Eventually getting a tune. A tune alone will net me 30 more hp and almost 100 more torques. I just want to wait a while and get through a bunch of the warranty since for VW's you have to physically crack open the ECU to tune. Thousands and thousands of people have done this with no ill effect, but it still is a bit more worrisome to me than simply plugging in a tactrix and reflashing. It is also obviously more detectable by a dealership.

Otherwise, it'll all be cosmetic and handling. I already have a set of lighter wheels with summer tires lined up, just waiting for me to pick up. I have a feeling that same person is going to give me his stock GTI swaybars for free. Down the line, I know some springs that will give a good ride and improve handling. There are some chassis braces that I may consider. Possibly a custom alignment. The VW guys all complain about understeer, as we do, but I've not seen anyone suggest a bit of front camber as part of a solution.

Alright, I may have more thoughts to put down later, but for now I'm keeping my wife waiting for breakfast.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    ^Lol

Any chance you'd jump back into a WRX in the future with all the advancements they've made?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    ^Lol

Any chance you'd jump back into a WRX in the future with all the advancements they've made?
    Yes. I really liked my rex, I just happened to get a screwball one.

I'm gonna have to stick it out with the VW for a while though, unless this car starts having all sorts of issues crop up like my rex did. The plan was that this new car purchase (the wrx) was supposed to last me for many years, hence why I was shocked the wife suggested changing cars. Just bad luck with the Subaru.

Next new car will be hers anyways. Not sure when that'll be, maybe 2 years? Then probably wait a bit longer after that til I could convince her it's time for me to change cars haha.
    - Will

Good postings. I've been waiting for some kind of update on the new car; It's nice to hear others' opinions about cars besides the subies. This being said if you had to do it all over again, would you do things differently?
    David - '05 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    Good postings. I've been waiting for some kind of update on the new car; It's nice to hear others' opinions about cars besides the subies. This being said if you had to do it all over again, would you do things differently?
    I do have second thoughts. Should I have stuck it out with the troublesome subie? Could I have waited until now and gotten a '15?

I would be well over 36k by now though.

One possible regret is that I maybe should've checked out a Focus ST without the recaros, but oh well.
    - Will

tl;dr

what mods do you have on your Subaru?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    tl;dr

what mods do you have on your Subaru?
    Superior Interior upgrade.
    Non-aftermarket aftermarket stereo.
    Mud flaps.
    Engine rebuilt and tuned for diesel.
    2 out of 3 diffs seized.
    - Will

That second story was a much better one.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.