Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! - Page 16
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

This is a discussion on Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Calvinball Yeah, I wish I had time to do several pulls with each tune, just wasn't in ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball
    Yeah, I wish I had time to do several pulls with each tune, just wasn't in the cards. I know how the curves are off in your eyes, but so maybe variables are not accounted for. The TP and WTF pulls ended up being on slightly different parts of the road than the stock pull unfortunately, and they had a bit of elevation change in there. I had a loop mapped out with the highway entry/exit points and a parking lot for me to sit and flash in, and I lucked out with the first pull (stock) and was able to do it from the on ramp, which is a pretty flat stretch. The TP and WTF pulls I didn't luck out with entering the highway (I won't do a pull if there's cars within a certain distance either in front or behind) so I pulled over just after getting on and waited on the shoulder until I had an opening.

The weird thing to me is that spike in TQ on the stock map that results in much higher TQ than HP (peak). But even if that was some weird outlier data point that pulled the whole graph higher at that rpm, and even if the TP and WTF curves are a bit off (in yours peak TQ is higher than HP, mine is the opposite), I think you can get a general idea of how different a stage 1 tune is vs stock.

I did email you the logs from all three this morning. I've learned a lot about what this stuff means but will never claim to be able to see what's going on in a log the same as someone who has substantial experience tuning.

So for those general knowledge seekers, I hope this post does a good job of disclaiming what issues there may be with those graphs. I am not satisfied, after a day of thinking about it, and will probably go out and repeat this experiment some early weekend morning when I have the time to do several pulls on each map. This is a start, though, and I hope my subjective observations are helpful as well. There will be more of those later today, as I've now spent several days on the WTF tune.
    The issue with the graphs is the road, but from a technical standpoint (I'm getting the same similar shape with mine, and parameters in the log are slightly off compared to what they should be), the comparison is still solid. Three different maps in a short time frame, basic idea of how they compare. Not that many people are able to do that, so it's useful you shared your findings.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Time for a little update.

Still very much enjoying my WTF stage 1 tune. Especially after doing that little experiment and feeling what the stock tune felt like again. I can't reiterate enough, the extra punch the WTF tune put into the low 2k rpms really makes the car feel like it pulls harder earlier. I know there probably isn't any real power gain down there, but the feel is what is important, and it feels much better than stock or TP.

In other news...

Car was at the dealership for several days this week. For a while I occasionally heard the throwout bearing noise in the morning, depending on the temperature and humidity. The throwout bearing noise is a hissing that occurs when the clutch pedal is pressed down. By that I mean that the sound happens dependent on the pedal being down, and will continue to occur as long as the pedal is depressed whether the pedal is moving or not. Recently, though, I started to have another noise, more of a creaking, that occurred while the clutch pedal was in motion. It was getting worse and worse, so I emailed Glanzmann and just said I need an oil change and my clutch pedal is making noise. I got a reply very quickly that said bring her in, it's probably the throwout bearing, we'll give you a loaner.

So I took the blue dragon (as it has been dubbed by some of my friends) in on monday morning, and drove out of the lot with this:

Of course, as usual, I requested a BRZ, STI, or a Fozzy XT, but I guess an ORANGE crosstrek was an ok compromise.

Also of course, a couple miles down the road heading towards work, the TPMS light came on. That goddamn light is the bane of my existence. I stopped and did a visual check, as it was a loaner of course I didn't have a gauge, and there were no obvious flats. I was already heading in later than I would've liked, so I soldiered on.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I got to work, immediately had 3-4 issues I had to deal with, then about 45 minutes later was able to bum a gauge off the security supervisor and went out to check. Didn't really need it, the driver's side rear tire was quite obviously flat.

So, given that this was not my car, I decided to call Glanzmann before I took any action. I spoke to the service rep who asked if I was able to wait for a bit while he talked to the manager. I didn't need to drive anywhere so I had no problem with that. He called back after a time and told me that they were sending roadside assistance down to put on the spare, and then to stop by after work so they could look at the flat and either fix it or put me in another car. Suffice to say, I was pleased with the customer service I was getting.

Turned out to be a nice big nail that was easily patchable.

My impressions of the Crosstrek: I liked it, except for the utter lack of power. There were a couple times that I was honestly concerned when merging onto the highway. Improvements I would make: a bit more oomph, and make the steering just a tad heavier. I know this is not a sport car but the steering was very light, vague, and required quite a bit of turning to get that front end rotating. One weird thing, when you close the lid to the storage bin inbetween the front seats, it caused a very audible reverberation in the entire transmission tunnel. Otherwise, it's a cool car, and I got a lot of comments, including a 6-7 year old kid on a side street in north philly pointing as I drove by and exclaiming to his friend "That **** is hot yo!"

I had the Crosstrek from Monday to Thursday, when I got a call that the rex was all done.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 09-28-2013 at 05:24 AM.
    - Will

I got to the dealership and, after I noticed that they had parked my car at an angle by the edge of the lot on full display for passing traffic, I put the loaner in the only spot I saw that was open. It just happened to be next to this:

One of the other members here identified it as a 24 hours of LeMons car when krugbyplayer posted a pic of it on Facebook. Turtle power!

So back to my car. Despite the tech not actually hearing any sound himself, they had dropped the transmission and gave me a completely new clutch assembly. When I got in the car to drive away I was astonished at how different it felt; much lighter! I guess the old one had gradually gotten worse and worse, but slowly enough that I didn't note the change in feel. The service rep, who I will recommend by name in PM to anyone interested from the area, said that the old clutch was pretty much shredded. All I can say is I hope this isn't something that is going to happen every 30k miles, because I saw the warranty bill and the end price was north of $1k.

One last little story; I got rear ended yesterday. In traffic on north Broad Street, guy behind me was on his cell phone and just plowed right in to me. Luckily, I doubt he was going much more than 5-7 mph. I jumped out, people honking at us left and right, and looked. Didn't see any damage at all. Gave the guy a thumbs up and got back in. At the next light he honked to get my attention, so I got out again. He wanted to thank me for not making a big deal of it, cause "some people would just try to get over on ya." In my head I said "sounds like he may have this happen with some regularity..." but out loud I said "no problem man," took the opportunity to take another quick look and didn't see any damage, then got the hell back in my car and continued on my way. North Broad is not a place to be causing the troubles.

When I got home I did notice a small scratch.

Hey, if that's all I got from an Impala smacking my ass at 5+ mph...I'm cool with that. It's just plastic and paint. Funny end to the story, there was a woman in a ford SUV/crossover of some sort in the lane next to us. A few lights down the road she yelled at me, "Are you alright?!" I said "sure, it sounded worse than it was, there wasn't any damage that I could see." Her response? "Well, that's because it's a Subaru." Drews, put that in your pipe and smoke it. You'll never be able to change the public opinion!
    Last edited by Calvinball; 09-28-2013 at 05:38 AM.
    - Will

Welp, after a couple hundred miles or so and a few days, the creaking sound came back, along with a heavier feel to the pedal. I still think that may just be an issue with the pedal itself, needs moar lube or something.

That said, I've been thinking, and it concerns me that I needed an entire new clutch assembly after less than 30k miles. At the time of sale, I was on around 120k miles on the original clutch of my previous car, so I don't think that my driving style is excessively wearing on such items.

So I've reached out to the dealership, and am going to reach out to SOA, to ask them the question: has there been any engineering change to address this issue, or are the parts the same, they just throw new ones in there. If that's the case, then I really don't like the idea that I'll have to worry about needing a new clutch again in another 25k-30k miles. I'll post any replies I get here, and maybe make a separate thread as well for ease of searching and FYI purposes.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    Interested in what you find out about the throwout bearing noise. I have a 12 as well and have heard the same noise you described. I currently have 22,000 miles on my WRX so it seems like I may have the same issue. I have driven MT for the last 33 or so years and have never toasted a clutch assembly to date. Guess I'll be talking to the service manager soon. !@#$%^&*()!! Thank for the info and post.
    Rod
    2014 WRX SWP Premium sedan
    Stink-Eye Mob #57
    "Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility" - rarrior

I'll keep you posted. I actually haven't contacted SOA yet, though I did swing by the dealership. I do have to say, I've been nothing but happy with Glanzman. One of the techs took a quick look at my car, as we were walking I described the sound and he was saying "oh yeah, lots of guys are chasing down that creak." He said it normally is a rod that goes through a rubber bushing and just will need some lube. When he popped the hood though, he said it was "louder" and seemed to not be coming from where he expected. The car goes in again for a day (at this point) next week.

As I've said to some of the guys I keep in touch with personally here, I'm starting to entertain the idea of moving to a different car. As I mentioned, a clutch replacement at less than 30k got me thinking. I love the way this car drives, I love the image and design, awd is great in bad weather...but...I have now sampled most of the rest of Subaru's lineup in the form of loaners. The issues have been things that have nothing to do with how well or how poorly I take care of the car. Subaru has been increasing sales for a long time now, good for them, but I definitely seem to be getting a lot of build quality issues.

On top of that, I have a high performance car and I almost never have any chance to utilize much of the performance. And I'm filling it up frequently struggling to get 20-21 mpg with all the city driving I do.

So. I'm not definitely switching yet, but I am beginning to research and test drive.
    - Will

Ok, update time.

I've now driven a number of cars. My initial list, after internet research, was Golf TDI, GTI, and Ford Focus ST. My initial foray into test driving was over the weekend. It was largely unsuccessful. I started at a VW dealership that, on Friday morning, had a TDI in stock online. They didn't on Saturday afternoon. I instead drove a Jetta Sportwagen TDI and a GTI. The GTI was much as expected, felt pretty agile, more go-carty than the rex, good throttle response down low, probably better than my car was stock. All in all, like I expected, it would be a decently fun DD. The sportwagen was quite nice inside, and didn't seem to handle too badly for a wagen. It felt sluggish in it's throttle response, though, which I was not expecting since diesel is supposed to be all about low-end grunt.

So I left there and went to a Ford dealership that a buddy of mine lives near and said they had an orange ST out on the curb all week. It wasn't there. I let them talk me into driving a Fiesta ST, knowing that it was too small for me. It was a fun little car though. Not as peppy down low as the GTI, but pulled pretty good once past the lag, and seemed to handle pretty well.

So that was an essentially useless afternoon.
    - Will

On Monday after work, I swung by a nearby Honda dealership. I had let someone talk me into at least checking out the Civic Si. It's not a hatch, but has a pretty damn large trunk. It drove well, but the powerband is too far right for me. Part of my issue with the WRX is that I have tons of performance that I never use, since I'm pretty much always driving the car between 0 and 35 mph, and in low rpms. If I floor the wrx I'm crashing into cars and running red lights. The steering is quite vague and unresponsive, too.

The dealership really put me off, too. I had a suspicion when we sat down to talk about pricing and such, as the very first question was "how much do you want to pay per month?" He played the back and forth game with his manager, and eventually sat down with a piece of paper in hand, proudly proclaiming that I could be just $12 over per month with 0 down, just my trade-in. For my 2012 WRX with 28k miles, they were willing to give me a whole 17,800 dollars. I believe I chuckled when he said the appraisal number.

He went to his manager to "see if he wants to introduce himself," then came back and said "I couldn't help but notice your face when you heard the trade-in value." I proceeded to say, well, yeah. I told him that I'm well aware that sites like KBB and NADA aren't the bible when it comes to trade-in values, but that said, their offer was roughly 3-4k less than the numbers on those sites. So I asked him how they do appraisals, and whether there was anything significant about my car I needed to know that brought the price down so much?

He vanished to the manager again, then came back and informed me that "it doesn't really have to do with the condition, we go by auction value. That's what we could get your car for at an auction."

That's right folks, 2012 WRX's go for under 18k at auction.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 10-09-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    - Will

So yesterday I drove a Focus ST. First, the bad. It's in it's first year, and online resources that track such things are not giving it terribly good reliability reports. It's small inside. I'm at the point where being able to fit a rear-facing baby car seat is a big factor. I have serious doubts that I would be able to do so in this car without the passenger seat being rendered useless. It might be better with the regular seats vs the Recaros, but that is a small back seat. Finally, as with the Civic, it seems marketed more to the younger, boy-racer crowd. On the interior, that is, I actually think the exterior styling is great. Part of that was the sound porting into the cabin. It was a very noticeable difference, and it came on after 3k rpms, seemingly no matter where the throttle was. I think the back seat is the biggest issue for me.

The good: It is definitely fun to drive. Handles very well, power delivery is quite good. It feels more responsive than my rex did stock. And...dat steering...whoa. Even when I was going <5 mph parking the car, it was just instantaneous steering response. All that and it gets regular 4 banger fuel economy.
    - Will

I want to like FWD cars...but I just can't
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I want to like FWD cars...but I just can't
    Can't blame ya, that's one negative against any of the cars I'm looking at.
    - Will

Wow... I'm moving to philly and buying tons of WRXs at auction! Import them up here, and it's an easy way to make some money.

Try the mazdaspeed 3 if you liked the focus ST performance. It's not as nice inside (IMO), but it is a similar car in a lot of ways, and different in some important ways too (that sounds so stupid now that I wrote it, but I'll leave it there for giggles) - you'll either love it or hate it almost instantly I think. For 'refinement', I found it to be between the ST and WRX in my mind for some reason. However, both cars (I think) will have more power than you need (from reading above). But the MS3 is pretty reliable (newer versions anyway), even if it has a stupid smiley face. Gas mileage is... meh. But stock it was a lot of fun if you don't mind FWD and all that goes along with it. Pretty good in the snow with snow-tires too. Not a great car to mod (you need a HPFP first thing for $800+).

I thought there was more room in my 2008 speed 3 than the newer ST I drove, but it could have been the rose-colored glasses you have after you sell a car and all that.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    Wow... I'm moving to philly and buying tons of WRXs at auction! Import them up here, and it's an easy way to make some money.

Try the mazdaspeed 3 if you liked the focus ST performance. It's not as nice inside (IMO), but it is a similar car in a lot of ways, and different in some important ways too (that sounds so stupid now that I wrote it, but I'll leave it there for giggles). For 'refinement', I found it to be between the ST and WRX in my mind for some reason. However, both cars (I think) will have more power than you need (from reading above). But the MS3 is pretty reliable (newer versions anyway), even if it has a stupid smiley face. Gas mileage is... meh. But stock it was a lot of fun if you don't mind FWD and all that goes along with it. Pretty good in the snow with snow-tires too.

I thought there was more room in my 2008 speed 3 than the newer ST I drove, but it could have been the rose-colored glasses you have after you sell a car and all that.
    Haha, no, the speed3 definitely has more room than the ST. I drove one before I bought my rex, and found the ride to be a bit too harsh for my tastes. Then there's the gas mileage issue, which will come up in my next post, which I will write shortly...
    - Will

The last car I test drove was the Golf TDI.

I was a bit pessimistic, after my experience with the Sportwagen on the weekend. However, the Golf is a couple hundred pounds lighter, has a different suspension, and I also received sage advice to let the car warm up to operating temp before driving it to get a better idea of how the engine will respond normally. On Saturday, we just got in and went, and it wasn't a long test drive. It was probably just warmed up when we were pulling back in to the dealership. This time I let it run for a few minutes while I checked out the car.

We'll start with the bad again. It's not as big as the rex. The cargo space is bigger than I expected, but still a downsize. The back seat...my eye says it's probably close. It is not a fast car, by any stretch of the imagination.

The good. It is a very nice car. There are those for whom interior materials, fit and finish, etc are not huge concerns or even concerns at all. I wouldn't base a decision on interior quality, but I'm also not going to pretend that being in a better built cabin wouldn't be nice. Stereo is nicer, there are more standard options, etc. It rides well. It certainly doesn't give crazy handling, but I think with some suspension bits and better tires it'll be pretty respectable. It's just a good chassis, in my opinion. It seemed to have a good mix of agility and comfort. I also found the seat to be more comfortable then my rex's. Now the engine...

As I said, this is not a fast car. I had two concerns, based on what practically all my driving is, and those are; that it wouldn't be punchy enough at low speeds/rpms, based on my test of the sportwagen, and that higher speed merging and passing would be sluggish. Both those concerns are allayed. I think it'd be tough to definitely say whether the rex (stock) or the TDI felt better at those low speed/low rpms. I think I'd give the nod to the TDI. At higher speeds, it also pushes you back in the seat a bit and can gain speed fairly well. The difference, I think, that makes these have real slow numbers is the gearing and the length of the powerband. I could make 50-60 go by fairly quickly, but then I was shifting.

So, TL;DR...

I like the TDI. It's a nice car, handles well, has some of that go-cart feel to it from the golf chassis, has the low speed/low rpm grunt that will be fun for the driving I have to do on a daily basis, and doesn't seem like it'll be a liability on the highway at all. Finally, it is a bit smaller than the rex, but not as much as I feared.

So I'll be trying to get one of these. I think I've pretty much decided I'm going to change cars, for all the reasons I've outlined over the past week's posts from me.
    - Will