Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! - Page 15
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

This is a discussion on Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz I would say do not get Whiteline sways and Kartboy endlinks combo. Fitment issues and ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz
    I would say do not get Whiteline sways and Kartboy endlinks combo. Fitment issues and idk how it happened but one of them got ****ed up. things could be different for your car though, i havent been under any of these 3rd Gens.

Edit: Sways and Endlinks are awesome though, just watch out with ^^^ combo. Im not the first person to have issues with it on here.
    I've installed the WL/KB combo multiple times, and never experienced any issue.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I've installed the WL/KB combo multiple times, and never experienced any issue.
    I installed mine with the car on the ground and the front and rear endlinks seemed a lot shorted than the OEM. Hard to get the fronts to line up properly. Think thats why mine decided to **** the bed on me. If somehow it happens again im just going to get whiteline.

Here is a pic of what happened.
    Kartboy Endlinks | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

I can't wait to get my WRB hb, we're gonna have to meet up and get some pics man. I'm in NE Philly, how about you?

Holy thread bump! Lol.

Haven't posted in here in a long time cause I haven't really done anything with my car. Well, I did go stage 1 with WTF, but I'm not ready to post about that yet.

To answer your question, I'm either north of the city or in south philly, depending on the day and time. I do drive through the NE on my way to the Tacony when I go to visit my folks.

Keep an eye on the regional forum for postings about meets, we haven't had one in a while but we do have them periodically. Tri-State
    Last edited by Calvinball; 08-10-2013 at 06:01 AM.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ I didn't even know you had a build thread!

thank bump, looking forward to a good read
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Ok! Time for my full on stage 1 woody...er...review!

Since that last post about flashing Torqued Performance stage 1, I have gone through a tuning journey with WTF Tuning. Lots of chatting with EJ257 (Matty), in which I learned a bunch about tuning, led me to get a tune from him. He explained his approach, which is a bit different from Eric's at TP, and I liked what he was saying. I really liked my TP tune, but I figured what the heck, these aren't hugely expensive mods so the worst that would happen is I have a choice to make about which I liked better.

We went through a number of revisions, in which he attacked different aspects of the tune. There was also a hiatus, during which I made sure I had a safe map but lent my Tactrix cable out to those who had more pressing tuning concerns. Finally, though, I got it back and this past weekend we finished my tune.

Today I took a little time after work to do a short experiment. I kept it as scientific as possible. I did logging pulls on each of the following tunes: Stock, TP stage 1, and WTF stage 1. For all three I flashed the map in the same spot, drove approximately the same amount of time and distance to the same stretch of road for the pulls. The temp and humidity was pretty much steady throughout, and the whole process took me about 35 minutes. I then used Virtual Dyno to map out power curves based on those runs. Here it is:

- Will

Now, the important thing to remember is that this is probably not a hugely accurate graph as far as the numbers go, but it should be fairly useful just regarding comparing the changes each tune makes.

As you can see, the TP and WTF tunes are verrrry close until the end. This is interesting as my boost target on the WTF map is 17 psi, as compared to 18 psi with the TP map. Torque on the WTF tune starts to drop a bit early in the latter part of the pull, but the TP tune drops farther and harder at the top. I imagine this accounts for why the WTF tune doesn't drop off in HP like the TP tune does.

The stock tune...I'm not sure what was going on there. The road was smooth, didn't have any issues with the pull, but I'm not sure I believe that weird bump in torque in the middle, which gives the stock tune a higher peak torque than either of the stage 1 tunes. But, I don't know, that may be accurate. After all, the important thing is area under the curve, in which both of the stage 1 tunes blow the stock tune out of the water. They are both making significantly more HP and TQ than the stock tune in practically the entire RPM range.

As far as driving feel: When I flashed back to stock (remember, I've been stage 1 for quite a while now) it was pretty telling. The car felt much slower and less responsive. I absolutely have no regrets or second thoughts about being tuned.

All that I said previously about the Torqued Performance tune still holds true. The car does pull much harder, there is more of a gradient to throttle control of power in boost, and it does still have lag much like the stock tune. 2k-3k rpms feels largely the same in the stock and the TP tunes. The WTF tune does not. Matty has dialed in quite a bit of snap to the lower rpm throttle response. I remarked to him that I've driven N/A economy 4 bangers that seemed more tuned for response and a torquey feel in low rpms than my WRX. His map changed that, and since I do a large majority of my driving in those lower rpms, I like it. It also seems to have given back smoothness to the overall power delivery. What I mean by that is this: with the TP tune, the car felt stock from 2k-3k rpms, then would rocket forward as you get into boost. With this map, because it feels peppier down low, the power delivery feels bridged into boost, if that makes sense. If it doesn't let me know so I can try to explain it another way.

So, I will be sticking with the WTF tune. It pulls nice and hard throughout the boost powerband, and has made low rpms a more fun place to be finally. All that with a lower boost target and therefore less anxiety from me about my intercooler end tanks.

Uh...the end!
    Last edited by Calvinball; 08-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    That WTF line sure is purrty!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Torque should be higher than horsepower. A quick plot on one of the last logs you sent me:

I put you at ~175 lbs. That is more along the lines of what I would expect to see, shape-wise.

I'd be curious to see what kind of plots I'd see with the three logs, since something seems off there (either the software or the information). Either way, interesting comparison, and all three graphs seem equally off, so it's not like it's a fluke with one of the pulls, which would totally skew the results.
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-20-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

good goddamn that stock tune looks terrible.

Cannot wait to WTF mine. Maybe after soccer tonight.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Calvinball, thanks for the scientific approach and going threw the trouble of flashing all three maps. As well as your likes/dislikes about them.

It's nice to see what a good STG1 map will do.

(just to instigate some smack-talk) Calvinball, have you seen Mikie13's new "lighting" red prius?
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Torque should be higher than horsepower. A quick plot on one of the last logs you sent me:

I put you at ~175 lbs. That is more along the lines of what I would expect to see, shape-wise.

I'd be curious to see what kind of plots I'd see with the three logs, since something seems off there (either the software or the information). Either way, interesting comparison, and all three graphs seem equally off, so it's not like it's a fluke with one of the pulls, which would totally skew the results.
    Yeah, I wish I had time to do several pulls with each tune, just wasn't in the cards. I know how the curves are off in your eyes, but there are variables are not accounted for. The TP and WTF pulls ended up being on slightly different parts of the road than the stock pull unfortunately, and they had a bit of elevation change in there. I had a loop mapped out with the highway entry/exit points and a parking lot for me to sit and flash in, and I lucked out with the first pull (stock) and was able to do it from the on ramp, which is a pretty flat stretch. The TP and WTF pulls I didn't luck out with entering the highway (I won't do a pull if there's cars within a certain distance either in front or behind) so I pulled over just after getting on and waited on the shoulder until I had an opening.

The weird thing to me is that spike in TQ on the stock map that results in much higher TQ than HP (peak). But even if that was some weird outlier data point that pulled the whole graph higher at that rpm, and even if the TP and WTF curves are a bit off (in yours peak TQ is higher than HP, mine is the opposite), I think you can get a general idea of how different a stage 1 tune is vs stock.

I did email you the logs from all three this morning. I've learned a lot about what this stuff means but will never claim to be able to see what's going on in a log the same as someone who has substantial experience tuning.

So for those general knowledge seekers, I hope this post does a good job of disclaiming what issues there may be with those graphs. I am not satisfied, after a day of thinking about it, and will probably go out and repeat this experiment some early weekend morning when I have the time to do several pulls on each map. This is a start, though, and I hope my subjective observations are helpful as well. There will be more of those later today, as I've now spent several days on the WTF tune.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 08-27-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    - Will

not sure if build thread or blog. :P
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    not sure if build thread or blog. :P
    It's a saga. Says so right up top.
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    It's a saga. Says so right up top.
    <3
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.