Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Calvinball's Saga: In which he blabs about anything related to his car...with pics! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Calvinball Crap! Somehow I missed this, guess I'm not subscribed to my own thread I don't really ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball

Crap! Somehow I missed this, guess I'm not subscribed to my own thread

I don't really miss the RSX. The handling feel was certainly different, and yes I do notice the body roll in the WRX more, but to me the Rex still drives much better. I guess the way I would describe it is that the WRX is more dynamic going through a corner. By that I mean that I feel more movement, not just body roll but also as far as the line the car is taking. But I think that is a good thing, and a result of the car being so much better at rotating off throttle input. The RSX you could say was less squirrely (or more predictable, as you said) through a corner, but if I went into a turn understeering, then I was understeering. The WRX seems much more responsive to input while in a corner. And now that I've got a few months under my belt with it, I can take turns significantly quicker than I could with the RSX, even though the RSX had better weight distribution and less body roll. So, stock for stock, the WRX handles much better in my mind, even if it isn't quite as cleanly.

I also don't miss having to have the engine be spinning over 5500 rpms to really be making power. Yes, the WRX has turbo lag, but it is so much more liveable.

I always liked having sleepers, too. But I find that I am really enjoying having people compliment my car, or point at it as I drive by, or wave to me if they too drive a scooby. Heck, I would have trouble getting car guys in other cars to even wave back to me in the RSX, the WRX just seems to communicate to others that I enjoy cars.

Finally, a relationship with a car is a pretty subjective thing. For a while before I got the WRX, I was dealing with an older car that had a lot of nvh that my aging brain and body wasn't really appreciating anymore, a several month headache with check engine lights, size that was soon to not be fitting my life anymore, etc etc. So I was mentally divorced from it many months before I even sold it.
    Quality sways with kb endlinks. Epic springs. Koni yellows. Body roll? Gone.

Sent from my Android using Forum Runner
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Quality sways with kb endlinks. Epic springs. Koni yellows. Body roll? Gone.

Sent from my Android using Forum Runner
    Guess I might as well list my plans, although nothing will be happening for a while. Tough to budget for car mods when you're working on a wedding budget

I intend to start off with doing stage 1, most likely Torqued Performance. I was torn between going for power first or a short shifter first, but I have since gotten much more used to the stock shifter, and feel I can live with it for longer. Every time I think about stage 1 though, I want to place my order immediately, so I'm just going to give in to that urge right off the bat.

Next will probably be the shifter, followed by sways and endlinks. At that point I think I will be pretty happy with the car. Down the line stage 2 may happen, but believe it or not I'm planning on doing as few mods as I can to address what I perceive as problem areas, and keeping the car as close to stock as possible besides that. I think there is a good amount of power already, but I want stage 1 more for the smoothing out of the power delivery. The extra power will, of course, be appreciated The shifter is definitely a weakpoint of the car, especially coming from the RSX and its wonderful 6 speed. So a short shifter and bushings are a must. And finally the body roll. Other than those items, I don't see any other glaring "problems" that I would want to correct. Maybe a new head unit one day.

I am going to hold off, and not just due to the wedding, for a bit. I have never owned a new car before, so I plan to get about half of my warranty life out of the way before I do anything that could help Subaru deny a claim. After that, my slightly advanced daily driver will commence...
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Tough to budget for car mods when you're working on a wedding budget
    You and I seem to have the same problem sir.

In other news: I think your eventual mod path is pretty nice. That's basically all I want, a strong stg2 set up with a lil bit of suspension work.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    You and I seem to have the same problem sir.

In other news: I think your eventual mod path is pretty nice. That's basically all I want, a strong stg2 set up with a lil bit of suspension work.
    Ha screw you guys. That's why I'm modding now... in 5 months I'm going to hear a lot more of "You want to spend HOW MUCH on WHAT??"
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    in 5 months I'm going to hear a lot more of "You want to spend HOW MUCH on WHAT??"
    Hence the point of having a long engagement.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Guess I might as well list my plans, although nothing will be happening for a while. Tough to budget for car mods when you're working on a wedding budget

I intend to start off with doing stage 1, most likely Torqued Performance. I was torn between going for power first or a short shifter first, but I have since gotten much more used to the stock shifter, and feel I can live with it for longer. Every time I think about stage 1 though, I want to place my order immediately, so I'm just going to give in to that urge right off the bat.

Next will probably be the shifter, followed by sways and endlinks. At that point I think I will be pretty happy with the car. Down the line stage 2 may happen, but believe it or not I'm planning on doing as few mods as I can to address what I perceive as problem areas, and keeping the car as close to stock as possible besides that. I think there is a good amount of power already, but I want stage 1 more for the smoothing out of the power delivery. The extra power will, of course, be appreciated The shifter is definitely a weakpoint of the car, especially coming from the RSX and its wonderful 6 speed. So a short shifter and bushings are a must. And finally the body roll. Other than those items, I don't see any other glaring "problems" that I would want to correct. Maybe a new head unit one day.

I am going to hold off, and not just due to the wedding, for a bit. I have never owned a new car before, so I plan to get about half of my warranty life out of the way before I do anything that could help Subaru deny a claim. After that, my slightly advanced daily driver will commence...
    I highly recommend going to a Torqued Performance map. The stock tune is complete rubbish. At around 2200 Miles I went to Cobb Stage 1 and that was an unbelievable night and day difference. I flashed to a torqued performance map earlier this week and haven't really had a chance to play with it due to the weather but it feels a lot better and I am boosting more on target now.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Or look up Drunkman Tuning (Jimmy/Drews's tuner) who will do E-tunes with up to 5 revisions for $100 or so...least that's the last I heard.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Or look up Drunkman Tuning (Drews's tuner).
    I heard that he only tunes for hydrophilic intake systems though...
    - Will

I heard that he only tunes for hydrophilic intake systems though...
    CLAMF! you get rep for that

(its been a lil while since i've seen a Capt Drews reference)
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Man I feel bad for all of you guys... spending money on weddings... haven't you heard people say, "don't get married, marriage ruins everything."

Just don't get married. Then you have all that money to put towards modifications instead. If you get divorced you'll be like, "damn all that money spent on one stupid day for nothing... I totally could have bought parts for stage 2!"

Information on Divorce and Rate Statistics

Jk, I hope all goes well for you guys, haha.

Lokey, that setup sounds awesome. Stiffer ride quality I'm sure but it's got to be worth it.

Calvinball, what kind of CEL problems were you having with the RSX?

The ol' P0420.

I had a race header on for a while, would get the cel on periodically due to the whole lack of a catalytic converter thing. It was on steady for maybe 3 weeks before I swapped stock exhaust back on to get ready to sell it.

It stayed on for a while, and I was pretty confused. Took it to a shop and they said one of the O2 sensors was dead in the water (I forget which one). So they replaced that, but I kept getting the light back on every 200 miles (I think it was) like clockwork. I was told to keep running injector cleaner through but a few different authorities, so I did so diligently. Just wouldn't go away, although it stopped being every 200 miles. The mechanics guess was that there were just some nice clogs in my exhaust system from running for a few weeks with no cat and a dead sensor.

The final recommendation I had before selling it was to seafoam it, but the buyer I had wanted the car asap. So I told him, in writing, everything that had been done and what the mechanics said was the issue along with their recommendation. The buyer had a friend who has done lots of work on RSX's, including owning his own, who was going to help him out, so that made me feel comfortable enough selling it.

Worse case was it wasn't just clogged up, but the stock cat was somehow bad. I gave him instructions on how to buy a new one, an aftermarket one, and how to find a used one. I was already giving him a price below value, but above trade-in, so everyone was happy with the deal.

The whole ordeal just cemented my divorce from the RSX. I was so aggravated with seeing the CEL pop on after I thought it finally wasn't going to. Heck, for the first 2-3 weeks of owning the WRX, I still would catch myself glancing at the dash fearing that damned symbol. I stand by not missing the RSX, for the reasons I listed above and because I find the WRX to be so much better of a car. Only thing I miss is the trans
    - Will

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    I highly recommend going to a Torqued Performance map. The stock tune is complete rubbish. At around 2200 Miles I went to Cobb Stage 1 and that was an unbelievable night and day difference. I flashed to a torqued performance map earlier this week and haven't really had a chance to play with it due to the weather but it feels a lot better and I am boosting more on target now.
    +1 on the TP stage 1 tunes. Awesome value and it has actually quelled my need for speed for the next few months. Now I have started dumping some money into replacing the terrible audio system...next is stage 2, suspension mods then 9.5 in wheels and all that good stuff :beer:
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

I will definitely be getting TP, I've read nothing but praise for Eric's work. The tough part is not getting it right away!

I know this is sacrilage, but I think I will be leaving it at stage one. I'm mostly interested in a small bump accompanied by a smoother delivery. I know stage two smooths it out more, but if stage 1 gets it to where I like it, then I probably won't see a need for more power.
    - Will

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

Ya, that's weak, I'm pretty sure I just turned that code off in K-Pro, but I don't even have that sensor in the test pipe. Which race header did you use? I was getting an error with the O2 before too where I just had to have some of the wires put back in to the plug correctly where they had kind of slipped out.

Oh well, someone else's problem now. CEL PTSD lol

I will definitely be getting TP, I've read nothing but praise for Eric's work. The tough part is not getting it right away!

I know this is sacrilage, but I think I will be leaving it at stage one. I'm mostly interested in a small bump accompanied by a smoother delivery. I know stage two smooths it out more, but if stage 1 gets it to where I like it, then I probably won't see a need for more power.
    Im going to do something similar, but its because im kinda bored with the power now. I figure if i go stage 1 and stay there for a while (also while saving money for mods) i can go stage 2 later and get that strong power feeling again
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.