Upgrading stock 2011 WRX brakes to Brembos - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Upgrading stock 2011 WRX brakes to Brembos within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Drews Synolimit wouldn't have gone this route... Now, now......

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Synolimit wouldn't have gone this route...
    Now, now...
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    First of all, very nice work. It looks great.

I thought a full Brembo conversion would have required a different master cylinder and brake lines?

I would consider putting the spacers in the back as well. In a performance situation, I would imagine the front wheels being wider than the rears will be a draw back. If anything, rears usually sit wider on performance cars.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You gonna throw some stickers on the front calipers to match the rear?
    I would like to... In fact, I already have heat-proof STi decals I ordered from eBay, but I don't have an easy way of taking off the wheels to get at the calipers right now. I may have to wait until I get new wheels installed (unless someone who lives close to San Fernando Valley, CA, can help me with this, wink, wink!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Looks good! Notice an improved performance in braking yet? Brembos on all STIs are basically the same models, so there's no reason why the 08+s would need an 18in wheel if all the others required only a 17in wheel.
    The new Brembos don't give me any more stopping power, but what it does give me are: (1) more initial bite so I don't have to depress my brake pedal as much as before, (2) total elimination of the "mushiness" I felt with the stock brakes, and (3) increased confidence in my brakes which enhances my driving experience especially when I do canyon runs.

The stock 17" rims do clear the Brembos in the sense that their radius is large enough to fit the calipers inside, but the curvature of the spokes is not enough for the wheel to spin without scraping the calipers. Not only am I getting 18" rims, the rims are of 2004 STi fitment which should ensure that they clear my Brembos.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Synolimit wouldn't have gone this route...
    This must be some inside joke I'm unaware of.

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post

I thought a full Brembo conversion would have required a different master cylinder and brake lines?

I would consider putting the spacers in the back as well. In a performance situation, I would imagine the front wheels being wider than the rears will be a draw back. If anything, rears usually sit wider on performance cars.
    Thank you!

It is my understanding that the 08+ WRX/STi share the same size master cylinder. In any case, my Brembos work just fine with my stock master cylinder and the Stoptech stainless steel lines I installed previously.

For now, I'm satisfied with running spacers just on my fronts. The spacers are a stop-gap measure anyways, just until the 18x8.5 Hyper Black Rota Grids I special-ordered arrive. Once I swap out the wheels and shoes, I'll most likely be selling the spacers and stock wheels to the highest bidder.
    2011 WRX 4-Door DGM

Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post

I believe the master cylinder only needed swapping in the previous generation...as the OP says, it seems to be the same.

However on the Subaru symmetrical AWD system, larger wheels in the back is not beneficial. It messes with the correct power transfer properties if you have wider on either the front or the back since it creates more traction. Not good either way. That's why Subaru has all the same size wheels with the same offset on the car to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by Ginsubie View Post
    I would like to... In fact, I already have heat-proof STi decals I ordered from eBay, but I don't have an easy way of taking off the wheels to get at the calipers right now. I may have to wait until I get new wheels installed (unless someone who lives close to San Fernando Valley, CA, can help me with this, wink, wink!)

For now, I'm satisfied with running spacers just on my fronts. The spacers are a stop-gap measure anyways, just until the 18x8.5 Hyper Black Rota Grids I special-ordered arrive. Once I swap out the wheels and shoes, I'll most likely be selling the spacers and stock wheels to the highest bidder.
    Easy way? How hard is it to pull out your jack, break loose your lugs, crank it up a few times and pull the wheel off? Anyone can do this anywhere!

But what I was getting at above is that with having the spacers only on the front, you are changing the dynamics of the AWD system...you could actually be causing harm to the differentials...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

No, the drum on the DBA 4000 rear rotors are pretty much the same size as the stock rotors, so the parking brake works as is. I do have to lift on the parking lever a bit more now than before, but that can be adjusted. In any case, the parking brake engages firmly with the new rotors.
    Kool. I did the upgrade on my 07 but I had to get special DBA rotors to match the parking brake drum pad. I just took an air chisel to the rear dust shields. Off in 5 min.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

The nice thing about the 2011 wide-body WRX is that so many components are the same as the STi. So most of the parts were straightforward bolt-on.
    2011 WRX 4-Door DGM

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jgardiner View Post
    So the stock 17" rims cleared the rear calipers? I had heard that the 3G STI calipers needed an 18" wheel. I may have to look at this again.
    Very false. The 2008 calipers are the same as the 04-07 STi just not manufactured in Germany they are a cheaper version of brembo calipers but the same in every other way.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Why are you dragging up old threads Borque?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Actually, I only put the spacers on the front to clear the Brembos. The rears I left alone. The spacers are a stop-gap measure until the set of 18x8.5 Hyper Black Rota Grids I ordered arrives.
    Since this was 4 months ago the wheels should have fit by now but the grids typically need a 5mm spacer to clear brembos. Check with wheel dude. This is the reason I didnt go with them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Why are you dragging up old threads Borque?
    Borque bored.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.