17K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  J_Maher_WRX 
#1 · (Edited)
Torqued Performance Stage 2+ E-Tune

Engine/Power
- Torqued Performance Stage 2+ E-Tune
- Cobb SF Intake w/Airbox (Sold)
- Stock Airbox
- FMS 3" SS Catless Downpipe
- Nameless Performance Axleback Exhaust (No mufflers)
- Nameless Performance Midpipe w/Resonator
- Grimmspeed 44mm EWG Up-pipe w/Tial 44mm EWG
- Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
- Grimmspeed Turbo Heat Shield
- Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
- Forge 100% Recirc. BPV (Black)
- DW65C Fuel Pump

Drivetrain/Transmission
- SPT 5spd STS
- Kartboy Front Shifter Stay Bushing
- Kartboy Rear Shifter Stay Bushing
- TiC Pivot Bushings
- Group N Transmission Mount
- Torque Solutions Transmission Crossmember Bushings

Suspension
- RCE 25.5mm Front Sway Bar
- RCE 25.5mm Rear Sway Bar
- Kartboy Front Endlinks
- Kartboy Rear Endlinks

Wheels/Brakes
- Winter setup: 235/45R17 Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 -> OEM Summer Wheels
- Summer Setup: 255/35R18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports -> XXR 527 18x8.75 +35mm Flat Black
- Stoptech Cyrostop Front Rotors
- Stoptech Cyrostop Rear Rotors
- Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads
- Hawk HPS Rear Brake Pads
- ATE Super Blue Racking Brake Fluid

Interior/Exterior/Accessories
- OEM Footwell Illumination (red)
- SMY Clustermaker Dual Gauge Pod
- Prosport Premium Peak/Warning Boost Gauge (Amber/White Needle)
- Prosport Premium Wideband AFR Gauge (Amber/White Needle)
- WC Lathe Werks Custom Titanium Piston Shift Knob w/Three Knurled Bands and WRX Engraving
- 15% Tint (Excluding only windshield)
- Gloss Black Roof Vinyl
- Matte Black front bumber vent and fog light vent vinyls
- Matte BlackTrunk Lid Trim vinyl

Future Plas
- FMS FMIC (ordered)
- KSTech 73mm CAI (ordered)
- Tomioka Racing Throttle Body Hose (ordered)
- Aquamist HFS6 Methanol Injection Kit
- ID1000 Injectors
- Blouch Dom1.5XTR (10cm^2,3"inlet)

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks man! Mudflaps because rally car bro :)

Nah, I really had to get them, with all the sand and salt that they spread over the roads here in winter (which lasts for like 5 months), my paint would look like hell. I would ditch them if I could get away with it, but I want it to stay pretty lol

#9 ·
So... all thanks to Lokey... I decided to get crafty and sold my Cobb Accessport and have decided to make the switch over to Opensource and on to Stage 2!! :D

I was using Cobb Stage 1 + SF intake for the past few months, and although the AP did a great job at improving low-mid range torque and smoothing out the power band, it just left me wanting more. So, I decided to sell my AP (to my friend Kyle over on Nasioc, thanks again :)) and use that money to put towards ordering some other goodies.

I ended up ordering the Tactrix 2.0 from tactrix.com and ordered the following from ImportImageRacing, who once again, gave me a great deal:

- Fast Motorsports 3" Catless SS Downpipe
- Grimmspeed Downpipe to Catback adapter

As soon as those arrive I will be flashing to Torqued Performance's Stage 2 map :D Honestly cannot wait.
I am also going to fabricate my own "Bulletproof" TMIC mod, as the original creator of this ingenious modification emailed me his drawings, specifications and instructions on how to make it and what materials are needed.

I think its going to be a pretty awesome experience jumping from stock to TP stage 2 at 19 psi... lol Honestly, I wasn't that impressed anymore with how much power the Cobb maps made, but when I returned the car to stock... I couldnt definitely notice the differene it made lol

The FMS Downpipe was only released within the last few months, so there aren't too many reviews out yet. I talked to Josh at IIR however, who has helped me out and answered countless questions for me along with giving me Great deals, informed me that there has been 0 fitment issues so far and that they have Subaru technicians installing them down there. I realize that this DP will not have the same weld quality or even overall quality as Invidia, Perrin, Nameless, etc. but I was under a tight budget, and for the time being, this DP will serve my purposes just fine.

I will post more pictures and reviews of those items when they arrive... soooo pumped up :D haha

#13 · (Edited)
So... all thanks to Lokey... I decided to get crafty and sold my Cobb Accessport and have decided to make the switch over to Opensource and on to Stage 2!! :D

I was using Cobb Stage 1 + SF intake for the past few months, and although the AP did a great job at improving low-mid range torque and smoothing out the power band, it just left me wanting more. So, I decided to sell my AP (to my friend Kyle over on Nasioc, thanks again :)) and use that money to put towards ordering some other goodies.

I ended up ordering the Tactrix 2.0 from tactrix.com and ordered the following from ImportImageRacing, who once again, gave me a great deal:

- Fast Motorsports 3" Catless SS Downpipe
- Grimmspeed Downpipe to Catback adapter

As soon as those arrive I will be flashing to Torqued Performance's Stage 2 map :D Honestly cannot wait.
I am also going to fabricate my own "Bulletproof" TMIC mod, as the original creator of this ingenious modification emailed me his drawings, specifications and instructions on how to make it and what materials are needed.

I think its going to be a pretty awesome experience jumping from stock to TP stage 2 at 19 psi... lol Honestly, I wasn't that impressed anymore with how much power the Cobb maps made, but when I returned the car to stock... I couldnt definitely notice the differene it made lol

The FMS Downpipe was only released within the last few months, so there aren't too many reviews out yet. I talked to Josh at IIR however, who has helped me out and answered countless questions for me along with giving me Great deals, informed me that there has been 0 fitment issues so far and that they have Subaru technicians installing them down there. I realize that this DP will not have the same weld quality or even overall quality as Invidia, Perrin, Nameless, etc. but I was under a tight budget, and for the time being, this DP will serve my purposes just fine.

I will post more pictures and reviews of those items when they arrive... soooo pumped up :D haha
Dude, I just saw this! Congrats on making the jump, and thanks for the blame...er....I mean credit. :p I see you're also planning on a PW TMIC. :thumbup: Though its price tag is hard to swallow, it will open up many other mod opportunities (even a 20G) without worrying about heat soak. Be sure to post some logs after you get that TP Stage 2 tune going. For awhile there, I was hearing nothing but good things about TP....but now that it's got warmer, I've got a couple mixed reviews. The goods news is that Eric is apparently great at following up and making adjustments for his customers.

"Bulletproof" TMIC mod? School me...

....nevermind, found it. Hmm....I'm not too sure about this one.

#15 ·
Have you ran it really hard on a hot day yet (above 80)? It's not the tune (per se). It's the stock intercooler's inability to handle the heat from multiple WOTs at 19psi of boost. Summer will tell the tale.

#26 ·
What engine can you do, if any. That will not void the warranty. My plan is:

Cobb AP
Cold Air intake
lightened pulley's
grimmspeed boost control solenoid
headers
manifold
down pipe
exhaust
..and of course pro tuned

This is my first Subi and just got a 2012 Dark Grey WRX, so the mods may not being come soon.

#27 ·
It all depends on your dealership. Some dealerships are mod-friendly, some aren't. I would ask them first before you do anything, just so you know what you're getting into. I'm fairly certain that with those mods, 99% any dealership will deny you warranty with ANYTHING related to the engine or transmission lol

#28 · (Edited)
Finally went stage II!!!! Been a few weeks actually, only now getting around to writing a review :D

Few pictures here of the FMS Catless Downpipe I bought along with the Grimmspeed Heat Shield(was on a TIGHT budget, so a $169 downpipe that included new bolts and gaskets was very appealing):

Auto part Pipe Muffler Automotive exhaust Exhaust system
Auto part
Toyota

I will say upfront that I plan on getting a catted Nameless downpipe at some point in the future, but for now the FMS unit will do just fine. The quality is actually very good for something so cheap, the welds are decent, it has 1/2" thick flanges, and is 100% made of 304 stainless steel. Had two small issues with the fitment, the flange on the side of the downpipe that bolts to the transmission bracket, the flange on the downpipe is actually 3-4" away from the bracket on the car... therefore, that mounting point is rendered useless. Basically, the downpipe is only bolted to the turbo and midpipe, which fit perfectly. The other issue, is that the shape of the downpipe doesn't allow the stock heatshield for the up-pipe to be reinstalled. Therfore, my Grimmspeed Heat Shield was only able to utilize 2 of the three bolt holes that keeps the heat shield secure. As it stands, if I hit a particularly rough patch or bump, I can hear a very slight rattle, but since I'm in a WRX, rattles are not something I haven't become accustomed to... lol PS, to anyone who says the downpipe doesn't affect the exhaust noise.... My car sounds SO MUCH meaner and louder than before. It is actually crazy and I love it :D

The Grimmspeed Heat Shield is built with incredible quality. Feels very solid and looks great in the engine bay. Videos and pics of the exhaust/engine bay to come soon!

#29 ·
I decided to go with Eric Minehart for my tuner and am super glad that I did. He answered countless questions and never once became impatient with me. Very helpful guy and always got back to me within 2 hours Maximum, no matter what day of the week.

His stage II map is an absolute beast. Am so glad I listened to you Lokey :D haha the car pulls harder than ever and hits between 19-20psi every time during WOT, even though I have a catless downpipe. So much more power throughout the entire RPM band, and it feels as if there is no turbo lag at all. Here is a dyno plot that I done of the stage 2 map:

Text Line Plot Slope Diagram

Super happy with the results, the original OTS map showed 313whp and 327 wtq, but Eric tamed it back a little to be more conservative and to have better reliability. I honestly feel no difference on the butt dyno and am PUMPED with the results :D

#33 ·
Let me know how it goes man, definitely interested :) Although there is a video online of a 2011 WRX with TP stage 2 and it actually dyno'd at 289whp and like 327wtq or something, so I think its fairly accuracte. Also, old rule of thumb, 1 g/s mass airflow = 1 whp, and I was pulling 292 g/s, so I think that the virtual dyno is pretty accurate.

#37 ·
Nice work! I was planning on going Stage 1, since I'm not in a position to buy a catted DP. BUT...a catless DP is a great low-cost idea! And...I can save the $85 Stage 1 tune from Torqued Performance and go right to the Stage 2 tune.

Did you consider any catless DP competitors in the same price range?
It looks like it is not a divorced pipe?
Also, is there any boost creep? I've read this can be a problem with a catless DP.

#38 ·
Thanks man! Yeah Stage 2 is WAY more fun than stage 1 bro haha I actually came from a Cobb Accessport, but I sold my accessport and used the money to buy a Tactrix Cable along with the downpipe and other necessary items. Just know that if you are getting a downpipe, you do need new gaskets, as well as a grimmspeed adapter ONLY IF you are using the stock midpipe, which I am.

I did consider some other brand name downpipes. Personally, I would probably have gotten the Invidia if I had the the extra cash on hand, but like I said I was on a very tight budget. Other brands to look at would be Tsudo and CNT. Both of them make decent affordable downpipes as well. The decision maker for me was that those two pipes have cast iron heads, whereas the FMS downpipe is 100% stainless steel. Since I live next to Saltwater the Tsudo and CNT would have rusted out in weeks. The FMS also comes with all new bolts and nuts, along with the two gaskets (does't include a Donut gasket, which is necessary if you are using stock midpipe).

And yes it is actually a Bellmouth Downpipe. The gains a divorced may have over a bellmouth or vice versa are negligible and definitely won't be felt on the butt dyno. The only true design that I have seen proof of making power than ALL of the competition, would be the Nameless Performance Catted Divorced Downpipe. By far the best downpipe on the market, period.

I was worried, like you, about boost creep when I first thougth about going catless. I talked to Eric at Torqued performance extensively regarding this issue and he answered all of my questions. He informed me that boost creep with his customers when using a catless downpipe was extremely rare -- less than 1% in fact. He said that of those 1%, most of them had intakes and that they only experienced boost creep in the winter. He also said that every one of those customers who experienced boost creep issues were able to eliminate it by switching to the stock intake box during the cold winter months. He also said that it depends upon the car, location, weather etc, and I feel as though I am a pretty good test subject. I am at sea level, with a catless downpipe, a Cobb SF intake, and pretty cold weather. Its been a few degrees celcius below 0 a few days here and there, and each time I have done several 1st, second, and third gear pulls, and the most I have seen on my boost gauge is ~20.6psi. I know that my boost gauge is spot on as it matched the Romraider maximum values almost 100% every time. And the 20.6psi, most people will agree that that number is simply boost spike, which is not related to boost creep at all. Eric also told me that the stock midpipe being slightly more restrictive may also decrease the risk of boost creep. Other than that, I've easily done at least 40 or more WOT pulls, either in 1st, 2nd or 3rd or a combination of those and not seen boost creep once, all well under 50 degrees farenheit (where boost creep is more likely to occur).

I would say go for it man. I went from Cobb Stage 1 back to stock for more than a month, and then to TP Stage II and I was literally blown away. If you have any serious questions, dont hesitate to hit up Eric, either by email or phone. He truly is an amazing tuner, and he must have answered 50+ emails from me :D Seriously, he's a great guy and will do everything he can to help make you happy with your car man!

Good luck with it! Let me know what you decide :)

#39 ·
^^First off, thanks for the wealth of information/experiences! Its responses that this that make the forum thrive :)

I still have some deliberating to do, but I will probably go with the same catless DP and tune as you and either swap back to the stock pipe for my emissions inspection in 10 months or go with a catted DP at that time. The sooner I can get to Stage 2, the better!

I'm already over the stock tune and know that the car has so much more to offer; it feels like a caged animal in its current form. To be continued :woocow:

#40 ·
No worries man, always eager to help someone out man, as the guys on here have been extremely helpful and kind to me when I first got my wrx, I absolutely love the community on here :)

Doesn't matter whether you get catted or catless, you'll still fail inspections, because its actually against federal law in the US to tamper with any catalytic converters, which basically means that its illegal to touch the stock downpipe haha I'm lucky to live in Newfoundland Canada, where there are no such laws :D

#44 ·
Sooo happy about making the move to stage 2 bro, honestly couldn't drive another wrx or sti without stage 2, its that addicting haha thanks for the approval Greg, i'll have more mods, more power, more videos to come. After all, I have a lot to do to catch up to you yet! haha

#49 ·
Sooo happy about making the move to stage 2 bro, honestly couldn't drive another wrx or sti without stage 2, its that addicting haha thanks for the approval Greg, i'll have more mods, more power, more videos to come. After all, I have a lot to do to catch up to you yet! haha
Things are about to get ugly over here, so don't follow me!! I've been eyeballing a few of the things I'm seeing here - http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds/134352873-2011-silver-wrx-build-date.html

#46 ·
Honestly love them man, they add a nice subtle accent to the interior to make it feel a little more expensive. They are not too bright at all if you are worried about that. Though I'm fairly certain they share the dimming switch associated with the gauge clusters as well if you did have issues. I've had them in so long I don't even notice them at all anymore, though I can tell you I wouldn't want to be without them :)

#53 ·
You'll see what I mean when you go to install the new Downpipe. In order to remove the stock downpipe, an uppipe heat shield has to be removed, as it blocks you from accessing the bottom two bolts on the stock downpipe from under the car. Once I installed the new downpipe, I found that the shape of it prevented me from reinstalling the stock uppipe heat shield. It doesn't really affect anything, though it may prevent you from using all of the bolts when reinstalling the turbo heat shield.

I probably won't be able to get pictures for you, as I doubt I'm going to take out my ramps and jacks and get the car up and crawl underneath it for a pic :p

Trust me when I say though, when you go to install the new downpipe, you will know exactly what I mean man. My tuner told me that almost all downpipe prevents Reinstalling the uppipe heatshield. Otherwise; the heat shield would probably have to be hacked and cut to be made to fit.

If you got any more questions, let me know man!

Justin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.