Justin's 2011 WRX - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Justin's 2011 WRX within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 11blackwrx wow pretty good results Yeah, it feels awesome man, gotta love cool weather all year round ...

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    wow pretty good results
    Yeah, it feels awesome man, gotta love cool weather all year round and sea level elevation
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Im getting the car dynoed this month and im curious to see what it says im putting down
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Let me know how it goes man, definitely interested Although there is a video online of a 2011 WRX with TP stage 2 and it actually dyno'd at 289whp and like 327wtq or something, so I think its fairly accuracte. Also, old rule of thumb, 1 g/s mass airflow = 1 whp, and I was pulling 292 g/s, so I think that the virtual dyno is pretty accurate.

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    The dyno at the place im going is a dynopack dyno so its gonna be on the high side i believe
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Oh well, makes you feel better don't it?

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha yeah, Im expecting to be 300 or darn close on the dyno. I cant wait to get it to a track to see what times it will put down
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Nice work! I was planning on going Stage 1, since I'm not in a position to buy a catted DP. BUT...a catless DP is a great low-cost idea! And...I can save the $85 Stage 1 tune from Torqued Performance and go right to the Stage 2 tune.

Did you consider any catless DP competitors in the same price range?
    It looks like it is not a divorced pipe?
    Also, is there any boost creep? I've read this can be a problem with a catless DP.

Thanks
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by WRXpa View Post
    Nice work! I was planning on going Stage 1, since I'm not in a position to buy a catted DP. BUT...a catless DP is a great low-cost idea! And...I can save the $85 Stage 1 tune from Torqued Performance and go right to the Stage 2 tune.

Did you consider any catless DP competitors in the same price range?
    It looks like it is not a divorced pipe?
    Also, is there any boost creep? I've read this can be a problem with a catless DP.

Thanks
    Thanks man! Yeah Stage 2 is WAY more fun than stage 1 bro haha I actually came from a Cobb Accessport, but I sold my accessport and used the money to buy a Tactrix Cable along with the downpipe and other necessary items. Just know that if you are getting a downpipe, you do need new gaskets, as well as a grimmspeed adapter ONLY IF you are using the stock midpipe, which I am.

I did consider some other brand name downpipes. Personally, I would probably have gotten the Invidia if I had the the extra cash on hand, but like I said I was on a very tight budget. Other brands to look at would be Tsudo and CNT. Both of them make decent affordable downpipes as well. The decision maker for me was that those two pipes have cast iron heads, whereas the FMS downpipe is 100% stainless steel. Since I live next to Saltwater the Tsudo and CNT would have rusted out in weeks. The FMS also comes with all new bolts and nuts, along with the two gaskets (does't include a Donut gasket, which is necessary if you are using stock midpipe).

And yes it is actually a Bellmouth Downpipe. The gains a divorced may have over a bellmouth or vice versa are negligible and definitely won't be felt on the butt dyno. The only true design that I have seen proof of making power than ALL of the competition, would be the Nameless Performance Catted Divorced Downpipe. By far the best downpipe on the market, period.

I was worried, like you, about boost creep when I first thougth about going catless. I talked to Eric at Torqued performance extensively regarding this issue and he answered all of my questions. He informed me that boost creep with his customers when using a catless downpipe was extremely rare -- less than 1% in fact. He said that of those 1%, most of them had intakes and that they only experienced boost creep in the winter. He also said that every one of those customers who experienced boost creep issues were able to eliminate it by switching to the stock intake box during the cold winter months. He also said that it depends upon the car, location, weather etc, and I feel as though I am a pretty good test subject. I am at sea level, with a catless downpipe, a Cobb SF intake, and pretty cold weather. Its been a few degrees celcius below 0 a few days here and there, and each time I have done several 1st, second, and third gear pulls, and the most I have seen on my boost gauge is ~20.6psi. I know that my boost gauge is spot on as it matched the Romraider maximum values almost 100% every time. And the 20.6psi, most people will agree that that number is simply boost spike, which is not related to boost creep at all. Eric also told me that the stock midpipe being slightly more restrictive may also decrease the risk of boost creep. Other than that, I've easily done at least 40 or more WOT pulls, either in 1st, 2nd or 3rd or a combination of those and not seen boost creep once, all well under 50 degrees farenheit (where boost creep is more likely to occur).

I would say go for it man. I went from Cobb Stage 1 back to stock for more than a month, and then to TP Stage II and I was literally blown away. If you have any serious questions, dont hesitate to hit up Eric, either by email or phone. He truly is an amazing tuner, and he must have answered 50+ emails from me Seriously, he's a great guy and will do everything he can to help make you happy with your car man!

Good luck with it! Let me know what you decide

Build Thread Beloww:

^^First off, thanks for the wealth of information/experiences! Its responses that this that make the forum thrive

I still have some deliberating to do, but I will probably go with the same catless DP and tune as you and either swap back to the stock pipe for my emissions inspection in 10 months or go with a catted DP at that time. The sooner I can get to Stage 2, the better!

I'm already over the stock tune and know that the car has so much more to offer; it feels like a caged animal in its current form. To be continued
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by WRXpa View Post
    ^^First off, thanks for the wealth of information/experiences! Its responses that this that make the forum thrive

I still have some deliberating to do, but I will probably go with the same catless DP and tune as you and either swap back to the stock pipe for my emissions inspection in 10 months or go with a catted DP at that time. The sooner I can get to Stage 2, the better!

I'm already over the stock tune and know that the car has so much more to offer; it feels like a caged animal in its current form. To be continued
    No worries man, always eager to help someone out man, as the guys on here have been extremely helpful and kind to me when I first got my wrx, I absolutely love the community on here

Doesn't matter whether you get catted or catless, you'll still fail inspections, because its actually against federal law in the US to tamper with any catalytic converters, which basically means that its illegal to touch the stock downpipe haha I'm lucky to live in Newfoundland Canada, where there are no such laws

Build Thread Beloww:

TP Stage II is da gear!! Only downside is that its made me WANT MOARRR POWERRRR!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL0naKXIc-M&feature=plcp
    Last edited by J_Maher_WRX; 05-10-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    TP Stage II is da gear!! Only downside is that its made me WANT MOARRR POWERRRR!!!!!!!!
    haha i agree
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post

2011 WRX Torqued Performance Stage 2 - YouTube
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Sooo happy about making the move to stage 2 bro, honestly couldn't drive another wrx or sti without stage 2, its that addicting haha thanks for the approval Greg, i'll have more mods, more power, more videos to come. After all, I have a lot to do to catch up to you yet! haha

Build Thread Beloww:

How do you like the oem red foot well lights? I was thinking about getting them to match the rest of the interior lighting. Just didn't want them to be too bright.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.