WRX 2.0 rebuild
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX 2.0 rebuild within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I'm not a newbie to rebuilding engines... if they are the V or inline versions. Never rebuilt a flat ...

WRX 2.0 rebuild

Ok, I'm not a newbie to rebuilding engines... if they are the V or inline versions. Never rebuilt a flat 4 and can't imagine it's much different.

My step son spun 2 rod bearings, 1 and 4. Not much for metal shavings throughout that I could see upon initial inspection but that only included the bottom of the pan, and the oil pick up screen.

The engine has not been pulled yet and I still have to look at and/or measure the cylinder walls, pistons, rings, ring clearances, cranks shaft journals, connecting rods, etc.

I know we can reuse headbolts and block through bolts, etc.

So here is my question, assuming I measure and tolerences come back as still within specs, is there anything aside from rod bearings, main bearings, and a complete gasket set that I should consider replacing on this motor?

It has +/-76,000 miles on it. He has limited funds to work with. Again, assuming much without pulling the engine, I can pull it, boil it, turn the crank, get oversized bearings, replace all gaskets, and update the oil pickup for about $800.

Minumum on a shortblock that I've found is about $1650 and that doesn't include a master gasket set for $250ish plus an upgraded pickup for about the same.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Michael
    Last edited by flewthecoupe; 01-30-2012 at 11:31 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You might as well get new cylinder rings they love to crack.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    I assume that you would also put in a new timing belt, given the mileage and hard driving. Good luck!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I assume that you would also put in a new timing belt, given the mileage and hard driving. Good luck!
    Good Point.

OP, I sent you a PM.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Thanks everyone... talked to a machine shop... and to some others... no one recommends keeping the crank once a bearing is spun.. nor the rods for a whole that spun a bearing... so now looking at a short block regardless.

so.. the machine shop also recommended redoing the heads, adjustments, pucks (never heard of pucks). thoughts on that?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know what pucks are.

I am guessing the car is driven hard. If the car has no mapping (reflashed ECU) and you go the short block route, be aware you will need to remap for a 2.5L short block (few do a 2.0L at this point as the $ for the hardware is comparable).

If the car has no map, and your stepson has the original parts available, consider using the stock parts and finding a wreck with a good motor and putting it back on the road on the cheap, never to be driven hard again.

If you start adding up machining costs for two heads, a two-part split block, etc., etc., plus front cover stuff, all pumps, and so on, the $ adds up too quickly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by flewthecoupe View Post
    Thanks everyone... talked to a machine shop... and to some others... no one recommends keeping the crank once a bearing is spun.. nor the rods for a whole that spun a bearing... so now looking at a short block regardless.

so.. the machine shop also recommended redoing the heads, adjustments, pucks (never heard of pucks). thoughts on that?
    I have a brand new crankshaft that has been in my living room that ive been trying to sell. Let me know if you want it cheap...
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Pucks...maybe shims to adjust the valves?

From memory, here is what I've found for some pricing for OEM or aftermarket OEM "quality":
    Crank: $305
    Rod Bearings: $50
    Main Bearings: $60
    Rods: $250
    Piston and Rings: $180 (and these are probably cheapo)
    Plus assembly of all parts. Do the connecting rods require being heated to get the wrist pins in on these motors? That's $10 a pop unless I can put them in the oven but I don't remember an oven getting hot enough.

Extras
    Master Gasket Set: $250
    Timing Belt: $50
    Head work/adjustment: $450 (but not sure if that's for both, I assume per head which is the norm for quotes)
    Oil pump: $150

And he will need someone to map the ECU because it does have a bigger turbo, i don't know if it has a chip or what so that's another $400

I could adjust the heads myself... but... spun bearing, bearing material in oil = the heads should be pulled apart, and checked, too.

Crap... honestly not the word I want to use.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah, bigger turbo adds another layer of complexity. Should we assume that he has the supporting mods to push a bigger turbo? (Usually fuel pump, injectors, and people generally combine it with a downpipe and upipe)

Did he have the turbo swap prior to spinning the bearing? Was tuning done to accommodate it? This may be a bigger kettle of fish than you think. Around here, people go in 2 general directions for tuning; open source or cobbtuning.com. Whatever way you go will need to be in sync with the preferences of whatever tuner you go to.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

He bought the car with the turbo with bigger pipes. He's a little handheld programmer, I'm assuming, kind of like a BullyDog for diesels. Don't know what he's done if anything which may or may not have added to the problem. As far as bigger anything for fuel delivery.. not sure.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have a look at the programmer, which may be a Cobb AccessPort. If that's what it is, you'll just need to find a recommended tuner that can do a "Protune", and you'll be in (hopefully) good hands.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.