MY '11 WRX 5-door...Progress - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on MY '11 WRX 5-door...Progress within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by mangostick Nice work so far man.. looking (and working) quite well. I did the H9 conversion a ...

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Nice work so far man.. looking (and working) quite well. I did the H9 conversion a while back too.. made a huge difference.

As for sways.. the question arose about using a heavier bar out back. That might work but the problem with the understeer is more traction as the suspension dips in.. the tire is on its edge and looseing traction (front) and that's why we have so much push(understeer). Using a heavier rear bar reduces weight transfer out back and inducing a scenario where the rear will step out. Now, sure that combats understeer but now you have a problem where the front AND the rear are sliding around. We want to improve traction up front.. so exactly what Gomez found on the track.. improving the front bar helps to keep the front tires in the proper geometrical position to maintain traction and improves turn in without sacrificing rear traction. Doing the rear bar too helps with overall weight transfer and also works to keep the car more balanced. When I did my own, I tried to keep the factory size ratio front to rear just larger at both ends. Same as Gomez found, my car is now much more neutral and balanced but not rear happy enough to make street driving scary.
    Thanks! I'm very happy with the Whiteline sway bars. This fairly inexpensive mod can do wonders for the handling characteristics of the WRX (and a nice set of sticky tires a la Star Specs or RS3). Now, i'd like to see how this all changes with the addition of coilovers or a new spring/strut combo. I haven't had time for track days lately, but hopefully I can squeeze at least one more before year end.
    '11 WRX 5-door Premium - Satin White Pearl
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-progress.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I purchased a bunch of mods last week. Enjoy the pics!

JPM Coachworks Leather Shift Boot

OEM Rear Cupholder (I can't believe this isn't stock!)

OEM Footwell Illumination Kit. I've read some install threads saying it was easy - it was not, for me at least. What a PITA! I've never dealt with wiring and removing console pieces, so it was an interesting install. Now that i've done it once, I could help someone do this in 10-15 minutes. And note that the lights are not this bright; This photo was taken with a longer exposure - see second photo with flash (you can notice the faint light below the steering wheel and glove box).

Also purchased but not yet installed:
    Whiteline Rear Differential Positive Power Front

COBB Tuning Front Shifter Bushings

STI Transmission Mount Subaru 5MT Models

Impreza SPT Rear Shifter Bushing

Anyone know if the Cobb/Kartboy rear shifter bushing is better than SPT? I watched an install video of the shifter bushings, and the OEM bushing looked just like the SPT pictured above!!!

nice! i'm a little late to the party but i am very interested in the lip.

the floor lights? i toyed with the idea and decided NOT to. plus i changed my map and dome lights to blue LEDs so they wouldn't match.

the steering wheel is an awesome touch! i might just give it a whirl.

^Blue Illumination kit is available as well.

The steering wheel is my favorite mod to date. Great grip at 10-2 and 9-3.

Love the steering wheel man. I have all those bushing and mounts sitting in my trunk too.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

We did those bushings on my 05 STi this weekend. Not too bad of an install. The rear SPT bushing looks to be made the same way, just out of more firm rubber. I'd honestly say that the Kartboy unit is probably a little better though. It's all one solid piece of Urethane.

If you're doing the Tranny Mount, order the Kartboy tranny mount bushings as well and do it all together. I just did them this weekend myself and they all work together very well.

Yet my 05 STI has the rear cupholder as OEM
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I was planning on ordering the Whiteline Gearbox positive shift kit Whiteline Gearbox Positive Shift Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2012 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

But, I accidentally ordered the Whiteline Rear Differential Positive Power kit. So, i'll probably order the above soon. How big of a difference was the tranny mount??

wow, you have alot of goodies. can't wait to get my rex lol

Re: MY '11 WRX 5-door...Progress

I love the string wheel. I see one in my future as my oem is getting torn up front my pocket knife. Only limited funds in the budget though.

Isn't here any REAL difference in the different manufacturers' sway bars? Whiteline seems to be the cheapest, but I like the look of the Perrin.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Quote Originally Posted by GOMEZ View Post
    I was planning on ordering the Whiteline Gearbox positive shift kit Whiteline Gearbox Positive Shift Kit Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2012 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

But, I accidentally ordered the Whiteline Rear Differential Positive Power kit. So, i'll probably order the above soon. How big of a difference was the tranny mount??
    Tranny mount is nice. It definitely makes a difference. You feel a bunch more vibration, but it's worth it. It seems to be a bit more responsive, which is what I wanted. I also have those diff bushings to do, which are gonna be a pain in the arse!!! But yes, the positive shift kit is the same as the Tranny Mount bushings I mentioned. They will definitely be an improvement. The ones I pulled off were crazy gooey soft rubber which is good for nothing.

I gotta get some engine mounts as well as a pitch stop next...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    I love the string wheel. I see one in my future as my oem is getting torn up front my pocket knife. Only limited funds in the budget though.

Isn't here any REAL difference in the different manufacturers' sway bars? Whiteline seems to be the cheapest, but I like the look of the Perrin.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Eibach has a set that's cheaper than Whiteline - $298 for front and rear! I spent $400 for the Whitelines plus the kartboy endlinks.

Thanks for the info Mikie! I'll definitely pickup the tranny mount bushings before I install the mount.

Hey man, exactly what brand h9 lights did you get?
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Looking real clean. . . Have you installed your power mods yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    Hey man, exactly what brand h9 lights did you get?
    Just the Sylvania bulbs on the shelf at Autozone.

Quote Originally Posted by D-WRX View Post
    Looking real clean. . . Have you installed your power mods yet?
    Not yet. I don't have a need for power mods, for now. I'd like to do more suspension stuff, more track days, r-comps after a few more track days, 4pots or brembos, and more track days.

Honestly, the WRX has enough power for me out of the box. I'm not going for crazy whp numbers or 1/4 mile times; however I'd like to get an AP sooner than later and go stage 1 tune. But then again I'm at 19k miles so I might as well wait until the warranty runs out. I've gone this far with the crappy, stock tune I might as well spend my money on more suspension mods.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GOMEZ View Post
    Just the Sylvania bulbs on the shelf at Autozone.

Not yet. I don't have a need for power mods, for now. I'd like to do more suspension stuff, more track days, r-comps after a few more track days, 4pots or brembos, and more track days.

Honestly, the WRX has enough power for me out of the box. I'm not going for crazy whp numbers or 1/4 mile times; however I'd like to get an AP sooner than later and go stage 1 tune. But then again I'm at 19k miles so I might as well wait until the warranty runs out. I've gone this far with the crappy, stock tune I might as well spend my money on more suspension mods.
    Looking to lightly build my suspension in the near future got any good recommendations for dampers. I've been looking into the Bilsten/GTWORX damper kit withe Yellow RCE springs. Primarily a DD, looking forward to do some auto-x as well.