MY '11 WRX 5-door...Progress - Page 10
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on MY '11 WRX 5-door...Progress within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bad luck man, that sucks. I had a hell of a time with threading those bolts too. Just finally got ...

Bad luck man, that sucks. I had a hell of a time with threading those bolts too. Just finally got the right angle after a while. Try to get it out w/o drilling, but it might have to come to that. If you be careful it should be alright though. Good luck!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've looked up certain ways to try to extract it - tap a small hole in the center and try to use an "easy out" which is essentially a broken bolt remover. The area just sucks there is almost no room to work under there. I'll have to remove the DP, which is ok because i picked up an Invidia Catted DP earlier today!
    '11 WRX 5-door Premium - Satin White Pearl
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-progress.html

those rear bushings are a royal pain in the arse to install... it took me 2 hours to get both bolts alight properly to go in w/o stripping them. i'm a stubborn bastard so i got it done.

tap and dye set? you should be able to get it out with one of those.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

STAGE 2....woohoo! Wow, the car is fast. It feels like the power and torque just pours on and doesn't want to stop. I spent the last few days installing the following:

• Invidia Catted Downpipe (used) with new Subaru Gasket
    • Cobb Stage 2 Map ACN-91 Map
    • STI Transmission Mount
    • Whiteline Gearbox Positive Shift Kit
    • Cobb Front and Rear Shifter Bushings
    • SPT Turbo Heatshield

My Dad and I were able to tap through the broken bolt i had stuck in the rear shifter bushing and drilled through the housing underbody. Installed the Cobb rear shifter bushing after that. Along with the front bushing, Whiteline positive shift kit, and the STI tranny mount, the drivetrain feels very direct and strong. When I get off the throttle there's less of a herky-jerky feel.

Installing the downpipe was pretty easy; it was more difficult to angle my way in and remove the stock downpipe. The Invidia DP went in smoothly and fitment was perfect. Flashed the Cobb Stage 2 ACN91 map and went out for a test drive. The butt dyno tells me its fast, plenty fast. I'm pretty sure I won't need any power upgrades after I install my AEM intake.

I'll be logging boost levels later. Anything else I should be looking for?

Install notes/concerns:
    -Shifter bushings were kind of a PITA
    -I was kind of confused with what to do with the bottom portion of the old heat shield. I left it off all together. Is this incorrect?
    -Wrap the downpipe! I installed the dowpipe then realized that I should have wrapped it. I'll have it wrapped sooner or later.

Nice! Glad you like it...yes, the downpipe heatshield can't go back on to the Invidia just cause the size is much bigger. You can cut and rig it, but its more of a pain than its worth.

You most likely won't feel too much from the AEM intake, though you may net 8-10whp.

You're going to want to log Feedback knock correction, fine learning knock correction, DAM, Boost, engine speed, engine load.

I also did all the same bushings you did: the tranny mount bushings were good. I like them. But I also realize I should have skipped the Group-N tranny Mount, and went right for a solid mount like the Beatrush or Cusco.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Sweet! It's good you were able to fix your rear shifter bushing bolt. Your car is coming along nicely though. I like all the pics!

What's next? If you're into the bushing thing, I recommend the whiteline subframe inserts and the rear diff inserts if you don't have them. I don't have any transmission bushings, but these definitely helped the feel when taking off and letting off the clutch.

Thanks! Up next will be SS brake lines, dot4 fluid, rotors, and my intake. Hope to install today and tomorrow.

But looking down the road, I'd like to do the RCE/Koni combo and maybe a strut bar. After that maybe tint and new wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    Sweet! It's good you were able to fix your rear shifter bushing bolt. Your car is coming along nicely though. I like all the pics!

What's next? If you're into the bushing thing, I recommend the whiteline subframe inserts and the rear diff inserts if you don't have them. I don't have any transmission bushings, but these definitely helped the feel when taking off and letting off the clutch.
    I also have those ready to go. But honestly...I'd pay someone to have the diff bushings done. The subframe/outrigger bushings are simple...but the rear diff? Total biatch. Its not easy getting the mounting bolts out at all.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I also have those ready to go. But honestly...I'd pay someone to have the diff bushings done. The subframe/outrigger bushings are simple...but the rear diff? Total biatch. Its not easy getting the mounting bolts out at all.
    I did them myself and it was really simple! You only put the bushings in the one side so if you don't want to remove the whole mount you can do one side and swing it down. I will admit the bolts were difficult to break loose, but not impossible. Not sure if your car is different, I have a 2011 wrx, but these instructions are pretty clear: 2008 Whiteline Rear diff bushing install - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

I did a few logs earlier and here's one of them. Please let me know if anything looks concerning.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...GpCekNoQWoxUGc

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    I did them myself and it was really simple! You only put the bushings in the one side so if you don't want to remove the whole mount you can do one side and swing it down. I will admit the bolts were difficult to break loose, but not impossible. Not sure if your car is different, I have a 2011 wrx, but these instructions are pretty clear: 2008 Whiteline Rear diff bushing install - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
    Ohh yeah yours are different than mine. Plus, I have a 2005 STI with 121k on the clock...tell me how simple it's gonna be again

Log doesn't look too bad. Some minor fine learning knock correction, but no feedback, which is what would occur if your car saw any detonation at that particular moment. Boosting is looking alright as well.

Did you reset the ECU after flashing Stage 2?

I actually started out with the standard ACN stage 2 map, saw a boost of 19 at one point (no logs of it), switched to lwg map but under boosted, and finally switched back to the standard stage 2 map. I guess the blip of over boost spooked me a bit. But the lwg map was not satisfactory so I switched back. I did a few more logs and they all are similar to the one I posted.

That's good to hear. Sometimes you can catch a spike here and there...just keep an eye on it.

Powerslot slotted rotors, stoptech SS lines, and ATE super blue now on the car...brakes feel firm, less mushy.

But now I'm hearing a whine when boosting. Turbo leak or exhaust perhaps?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.