Subaru WRX Forum banner

Drews RS Build

40K views 245 replies 37 participants last post by  JaySin 
#1 · (Edited)
As many of you know I picked up a 98 RS with an H6 in it that wasn't running. I've just really decided to dedicated most of my spare time to putting it together. I'm actually posting this thread from the garage :) I'll snap some pictures and post them when I go inside and get on my desktop.

RS Goldies

H6 deliciousness

Rats nest

See less See more
Reactions: mycologist
#53 · (Edited)
Ha you guys have me lost now. ^Yes, that's true...GTR, R34 is the Skyline made up until 2001. GTR R35 is technically the new GTR. I only say the R34 is better because it has a true manual transmission, which the R35 does not. Both are AWD, however the R34 never had anything more than about a 75/25 rear-biased power split, that was unchangeable. Yes the R35 outperforms it in almost every way, but I'm a purist and like a true standard gearbox over paddle shifters.

GT35R is a variant of turbo, that is rotated when mounted to the Subaru engine. It provides for quicker spool for such a large turbo, as well as a shorter path for the charge pipe to reach the FMIC. These are some of the things that make rotated turbos able to produce so much power.

Edit: Technically the new Generation GTR is only designated as the GTR and not actually having a R35 moniker, though it is known generally as that. Nissan actually did produce the Skyline V35, after 2001 which was based on the 350z/Infinity G35 platform. So it was basically a G35 with Nissan badges and with "Skyline" on the back instead of G35. The sedans also carried the Skyline name.

#55 ·
So I just got back from NW FL with a donor STI for my RS build. Winning.

#56 ·
Alright...I started stripping down the STI. I'm going to try and dedicate 2 or so hours during weekdays to get this done. And then I'll probably be spending many a hot weekend outside putting all the stuff into my RS. So, here are some pics of the progress.

04 STI. It was most definitely a return to stock car and it's quite apparent when you see the WRX TMIC. A lot of the stock hardware was missing. Not a big deal since I have most of the stuff for it already. Whatever I don't have I'll just order online.

The next thing to tackle is the rest of the dash, then the harness. Once I get all that out, I'll drop the trans and pull the motor. I'll probably spend this upcoming weekend stripping out the rest of the RS if the weather holds out.

#57 ·
Alright guys! Day two of getting the STI stripped down. I really wish I could dedicate more time to this...I've got the entire dash out minus the support. Here are my pictures starting with where I left off.

This is what I started with...

Me doing some work. (actually watching Top Gear)

And here is where I stopped. Getting the dash out isn't too bad, it just takes some patience with getting some of the connectors out.

#59 ·
Hey it's hot here, don't judge me. lol

#64 ·
I'm wearing a shirt because pinch welds are sharp.

I am working alone. The old lady is taking pics.

Tip #1: Remove pants

Tip #2: I need to be in person to show you my other tip
I was wearing shorts...I'm excited for tip #2.

Are you sweating so much from oogling my Facebook pics?
I sweat out of my penis when I see your pics, Bo.

#63 ·
Wow...it really is a progress thread! Or more like an unbuilding thread...

Certainly is a donor...hows the engine feel/run though before you started stripping it?

#65 ·
Strong. I gets up and goes like it should. I'm pretty sure it's stage 2+ but I have no idea if it's a protune or an OTS map. Not like it matters because It will get protuned when I get it all put together. It's got a DP and a Bosal cat back, AEM intake, and Perrin turbo inlet. That is about the only mods that I've noticed so far. The underside of the motor is nice and clean so it's not leaking oil or anything. Someone took care of the motor, but not the interio. I'll probably need a new STI center console but that's no biggie.

#67 ·
Moar pics!!

My starting point today...

This is where I stopped. At this point the engine and trans are ready to be dropped out of the car.

#70 ·
Dropped out. I'm pulling the motor and trans from underneath the car.

#71 ·
Wait...I thought it was an STI...why does it only have Subaru 4-pots?

#72 ·
Good question. I have no complaints since they are just as good as the Brembos but have a smaller braking surface. It's whatever. Brembos wouldn't fit under my RS goldies anyway.

#78 ·
Yeah...but I can get the motor and trans without having to separate them. Is your friend still interested in the Bosal? It's hard for me to keep up with you guys on the phone since I can't have it at work.

Hey Jimmy, you mentioned you'd part with that Bosal earlier. How much were you thinking?
Bo mentioned he knows someone who might be interested but I wasn't able to get the details. If his buddy doesn't want it I'll sell it to you. I'd probably let it go for 150+ whatever shipping is.

#81 ·
Donkey shipped me the axleback. He's on the east coast too, and I want to say it was like $25-30, but that didn't include the midpipe.

If you've got a rough weight and dimensions, I can estimate it. I just guessed 30lbs and some rough box measurements based on another post, and I see USPS estimates around $50-60. Basically I'd do $200 shipped, if that's at all reasonable.

#87 ·
Considering it comes back in a carfax report...

#91 ·
The Legacy did...it's still not enough.

#94 ·
I've got the motor ready to come out of the RS. I'll be dropping the trans and stuff this weekend.

#95 ·
I must say, the wiring looks a lot better than when I got a hold of this thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.