2007 STI Limited Build thread. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2007 STI Limited Build thread. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'll be retuning and making a safe 91 octane tune first (as soon as I get my AP back from ...

I'll be retuning and making a safe 91 octane tune first (as soon as I get my AP back from COBB). Hopefully truly modding sometime early 2012. January after the Holiday's and putting plates on this beautiful thing. Plus for some odd reason, the wife thinks I have to spend dollar for dollar on her as the car. Weird, she wants diamond replacement wedding band to go with the engagement rock.

2007 UGM WRX STi - Limited 65k
    PSN : MileHiTattoo
    facebook.com/paul.berkey

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Take back engagement rock for more car parts...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    You are off a bit on the boost at altitude thing.

So boost is the increased pressure above baseline. Our baseline atmospheric pressure is ~80% of sea level. Obviously barometric changes from weather changes makes calculating sea level's atmospheric pressure difficult, but it's recognized that 1atm (1 atmosphere) is ~ 14.7psi. So that means that 1psi of boost is 15.7psi in the intake manifold at sea level. 2psi of boost is 16.7psi, 3psi 17.7psi, etc. (we are not going to discuss friction induced pressure loss at all.. because the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) is going to be less due to friction loss, and heat changes due to intercooling).

Up here 80% of 1atm means our atmospheric pressure is around 11.7psi. So 1lb of boost is 12.7psi post turbo, etc.

In addition, at sea level... oxygen percentage is 20-21%. Up here, we have a measly 17% O2.

Nice part about E85... it uses less oxygen (a lower afr, but for tuning purposes, lambda is usually used, and then converted to standardized gasoline AFRs) Because E85 uses less oxygen, we see a huge benefit at altitude from E85 tuning. Harvey said he expected 410-430whp out of my setup.

Theoretically, you should be able to get 350whp out of your vf43 on E85, but on pump fuel you'll probably be able to get 255-275whp on harvey's dyno.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Take back engagement rock for more car parts...
    Already married, good luck getting that off her finger. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    You are off a bit on the boost at altitude thing.

So boost is the increased pressure above baseline. Our baseline atmospheric pressure is ~80% of sea level. Obviously barometric changes from weather changes makes calculating sea level's atmospheric pressure difficult, but it's recognized that 1atm (1 atmosphere) is ~ 14.7psi. So that means that 1psi of boost is 15.7psi in the intake manifold at sea level. 2psi of boost is 16.7psi, 3psi 17.7psi, etc. (we are not going to discuss friction induced pressure loss at all.. because the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) is going to be less due to friction loss, and heat changes due to intercooling).

Up here 80% of 1atm means our atmospheric pressure is around 11.7psi. So 1lb of boost is 12.7psi post turbo, etc.

In addition, at sea level... oxygen percentage is 20-21%. Up here, we have a measly 17% O2.

Nice part about E85... it uses less oxygen (a lower afr, but for tuning purposes, lambda is usually used, and then converted to standardized gasoline AFRs) Because E85 uses less oxygen, we see a huge benefit at altitude from E85 tuning. Harvey said he expected 410-430whp out of my setup.

Theoretically, you should be able to get 350whp out of your vf43 on E85, but on pump fuel you'll probably be able to get 255-275whp on harvey's dyno.
    This does make total sense Sinister. I appreciate the info. I'd love to feel what E85 on your car feels like sometime. I wonder if our work schedules would ever allow for that? I'm typically off all day Monday's and Tuesday's.. Weekends are my busiest days.

facebook.com/paul.berkey

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nosoupfoyou
    Just take the finger with it...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nosoupfoyou View Post

This does make total sense Sinister. I appreciate the info. I'd love to feel what E85 on your car feels like sometime. I wonder if our work schedules would ever allow for that? I'm typically off all day Monday's and Tuesday's.. Weekends are my busiest days.
    I'm always up for a beer, and a cruise. I only work 3-4 days a week. I PM'd you my phn #. A buddy and I like to go gokart racing on either mondays or tuesdays down at centennial airport. Feel free to join us.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I got your number thx. I'm currently nursing a fractured heel bone. I'll hopefully be able to really get around easily next week. I'll hit you up thanks mang

facebook.com/paul.berkey

I Support ClubWRX
    just a forewarning... I only have 330whp right now... I'm on winter tires, and pump gas
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Your car wasn't that fast before, so it must be a pig now.....

That was a great explanation on boost pressure at altitude Kevin.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Your car wasn't that fast before, so it must be a pig now.....

That was a great explanation on boost pressure at altitude Kevin.
    :P Let's head to bandimere this spring scott... we'll see how the 911 and the WRX compare And then after I beat you there... we'll have to head to high plains raceway so you have a chance...
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I'm always up for a beer, and a cruise. I only work 3-4 days a week. I PM'd you my phn #. A buddy and I like to go gokart racing on either mondays or tuesdays down at centennial airport. Feel free to join us.
    Why have I never been invited to this gokart racing??????
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Added some new updates today. COBB accessport, plus windshield mount. I'll be making a custom bracket to go on the arm soon so its not so bulky...
    And tore out the trash stereo system, upgraded to Nav / DVD / Ipod / Netflix - Kenwood 318 unit.

PICS:

facebook.com/paul.berkey

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good... how's your Calcaneus btw?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Today I had the car cleaned up at the Boost Creep with Harvey. It had quite the ugly map when I bought it.

After today, feels so much smoother, obviously a smoother map.

facebook.com/paul.berkey

Looks good... how's your Calcaneus btw?
    Foot is much better, and back on the ice rink! Thanks!

facebook.com/paul.berkey

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.