Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Winter plans: Engine - GrimmSpeed Exhaust P&P and Ceramic coating - Custom JR Crossover Pipe - MAYBE light weight crank ...

Winter plans:

Engine
    - GrimmSpeed Exhaust P&P and Ceramic coating
    - Custom JR Crossover Pipe
    - MAYBE light weight crank pulley

Suspension
    - Send suspension back to Tein for rebuild, possible revalve
    - New camber bolts for the rear
    - Do a good alignment, buy some tools

Brakes, etc
    - ARP Wheel studs, because I feel like I should after using an impact wrench on the lugs multiple times a month
    - New front brake pads
    - MAYBE a master cylinder brace
    - New-to-me Hoosier A6's for next year (unless I pony up for some BFG g-Force R1-S's)

Misc.
    - Put water/oil temp gauges where my radio was (already have the mount made up!)
    - Change the read diff/trans fluid, see what kinda shape the rear diff is in, possibly replace (for $50, why not?)
    - Rear strut tower bar, see if it changes anything, not sure that it will

This crap adds up quick. Only 6 months to get it all done...any other suggestions, feel free.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Found some photo's:

~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Love your wagon man...it was cool to see it in person at the Victory meet!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Thanks Mikie! The STi is looking pretty sweet on those 441's too. Makes me want some moar low. How do you like em'?
    ~Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Thanks Mikie! The STi is looking pretty sweet on those 441's too. Makes me want some moar low. How do you like em'?
    Haha thanks man...it was a fun install to say the least. But I am absolutely loving them. The handling aspect alone is so worth it. It's crazy how it neutralizes the suspension to where you can actually take turns flat. Makes it so much more fun. And the ride? For coilovers, is very good. Miles better than my blown suspension was, but only a little more firm than a stock STI! So to me, that's perfect. Makes me realize I need new seats in my car though since the foam is flattening and the bolstering has flattened as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Haha thanks man...it was a fun install to say the least. But I am absolutely loving them. The handling aspect alone is so worth it. It's crazy how it neutralizes the suspension to where you can actually take turns flat. Makes it so much more fun. And the ride? For coilovers, is very good. Miles better than my blown suspension was, but only a little more firm than a stock STI! So to me, that's perfect. Makes me realize I need new seats in my car though since the foam is flattening and the bolstering has flattened as well.
    Glad you're liking them. That's good to hear that the ride isn't too harsh (as my girlfriend reminds me every time we go somewhere in my car). And like you said, the difference really is amazing. They corner/handle like a completely different car with just a few suspension changes. Any other suspension plans? And good luck with the seat. If you're looking for OEM, let me know. I know a guy who can find you a set probably.
    ~Stan

Taking the car up to my rental garage this weekend to start work. Also just got some roof rail deletes for the wagon. Spontaneous buy from a classified I saw on Nasioc. Pictures will start rolling in soon when work actually begins.
    ~Stan

Car is in the garage with the E30 for the winter. Thanks to Sandy, only pulled the battery and left the garage.

Stay safe fellow northeastern-er's!
    ~Stan

You too!

What do you drive in the winter?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I have a hyundai elantra that I DD, since I have a 100 mile round trip to work. It's boring as hell, but it gets 37mpg and doesn't rattle my brains out on the highway.

Hope everyone weathered the storm OK. I still don't have power (sitting at work), and haven't had time to check up on the garage to make sure it didn't blow away. :fingers crossed:
    ~Stan

The past 3 weeks have been a blurr. First the hurricane, then hammering out an emergency project at work to try and get things running normally (two days off since the hurricane = tired). But with turkey day tomorrow, I'll at least have a nice little 4 day weekend to get new tires for the DD and get my ass over to the garage and work on the car(s).

So plans for Sunday:

- Get the wrx in the air, change oil, start pulling exhause manifold.
    - Pull exhaust off the BMW, troubleshoot vacuum leaks. That's right, now two cars to prep for next season!

Pictures to come. Have a nice thanksgiving!
    ~Stan

Been a while since I've updated. I've been making a little bit of progress, and have actually been remembering to take pictures along the way. Accomplished in the past few weeks:

- Oil change for the winter
    - Pulled the exhaust manifold off to prep it before it goes to GrimmSpeed for P&P and coating. This was unbelievably easy to do. 3-14mm bolts on each head. Pull the O2 sensor...

16/14mm bolts hold the up pipe to the headers...

And off she comes. A shot of the headers before I take the angle grinder to them (I hear you can shave 11 pounds)...

I'll get some photo's after I shave and disassemble them as well. The I popped the coilovers off...

Been lazy, and only have the front 2 disassembled so far. Hoping to get these shipped out next weekend so I can hit some of the events in the northern NJ region in late March. I also got hooked up with some vinyl numbers (thanks Area1320!), so no more magnets scratching up the paint when dirt gets stuck to them...

~Stan

Also working on putting my schedule together for the 2013 season. Philly region still hasn't posted its schedule, but I have the following so far:

3/23, NNJR Solo, East Rutherford, NJ
    3/30, NNJR Solo, East Rutherford, NJ
    4/13, NNJR Solo, East Rutherford, NJ
    4/20-21, New Jersey ProSolo, East Rutherford, NJ
    4/27-28, Dover Championship Tour, Dover, Del.
    5/26, NNJR Solo, East Rutherford, NJ
    6/1, NNJR Solo, East Rutherford, NJ
    6/8-9, DC ProSolo, Landover, MD
    6/16, NNJR Solo, East Rutherford, NJ
    7/27-28, Toledo ProSolo, Toledo, Ohio
    8/3-4, Wilmington Champ. Tour, Wilmington, OH

I don't know if I'll make a back to back weekend trip to Ohio, but I'm hoping to make at least the Toledo event.
    ~Stan

Coilovers disassembled and ready to be sent to Tein for overhaul.

Some after shots of the exhaust after removing the shields and cutting/grinding down the tabs and heat shield mounts. Lost about 5-6 pounds!

Now off to GrimmSpeed for some P&P and coating.
    ~Stan

Last item I needed for DIY alignments has arrived:

Just need to get motivated to go borrow my neighbors drill press and assemble my home depot racing camber gauge. In other news, GrimmSpeed called to inform me that my headers are done, and will be sitting on my door step come friday.
    ~Stan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.