Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. - Page 5
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I made a ton of progress this past weekend. Will have the engine buttoned up this weekend, and a good ...

I made a ton of progress this past weekend. Will have the engine buttoned up this weekend, and a good start on the rear suspension.

Progress picture from this weekend.

Intake manifold is all buttoned up and ready to be dropped back on. Had to wait for a $3.50 part so I could delete the PCV valve and route it to my catch can set up.

Also picked up a lightweight battery from autozone (autozone motorsports batteries are the exact same as Braille batteries for half the cost). I'm going to have to weight all the crap I've pulled off and see how much I've saved!
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Why the fuel rails?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I did the fuel rails for a few reasons:

1. Installing these makes changing injectors and pulling apart the IM significantly easier. It was also an easy/inexpensive mod to get a jump start on upgrading the rest of the fuel system.
    2. More flow, so added safety factor for when I'm driving hard.
    3. I feel these will be more reliable than my beat to crap stock rails.

So, they don't do a whole lot more right now, but I have more plans for the fuel system down the road.
    ~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

So, it's been a few weeks of crappy luck with getting parts. First, I open my Eibach rear sway bar kit (bar + endlinks). And what do you know, they sent me front endlinks with my rear sway bar kit.

Then my various replacement gaskets from Subaru go MIA. But look what was at my door step today!!!

...with a bonus 17mm crows foot so I could torque down the forward trailing arm bolts. Now that I got what I need, the car SHOULD be running this weekend. Except I'm still waiting on rear endlinks....
    ~Stan

My focus has shifted to getting my rear suspension bushings swapped out. I'm so close to being done, but the forward lateral link inboard bolts just won't budge. Hopefully it doesn't come to taking a torch to them this weekend.

But on another note, my trusty craftsman jack no longer wishes to hold things up anymore. I noticed this when I was jacking up the rear hubs to take some tension off the lateral link bolts. The hub would sllloooowwwlly start to go down while i was wrestling the long bolt out.

Anyone recommend a decent high lift jack?
    ~Stan

Been swamped with work and life in general (buying a house ).

Anyway, so the car is running. I did the Novice Solo school this past weekend, learned a crap ton, and will be seeing how it goes at the NE Solo regional in two weeks.

Pics to follow.
    ~Stan

Finally got a call from AMR Engineering regarding parts for my coilovers. Looks like he finally shipped the parts, so hopefully, , I can have them on the car by Wednesday night. I have an alignment scheduled for Thursday, then off to the test and tune on Friday.

I'm thinking 2.5 degrees camber up front, 1.5 degrees camber rear (if they can get it), 0 toe all around. Maybe go 3 up front since I don't drive it a bunch?
    ~Stan

Long weekend at Metlife in East Rutherford, NJ. Front O2 sensor is shot.

Decent run:

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...life-Large.mp4

Bad run (note that I curse at the end):

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...dRun-Large.mp4
    ~Stan

Coilovers going on this weekend. Next event is June 10th, we will see how it goes.
    ~Stan

It's been almost a month since an update. Between buying a house, moving, and work, life's been busy. But I figured I'd take the time to keep this kinda up to date.

- Ran the car on June 10th at Citizen's Bank Park. Didn't do too bad, but still tons of room for improvement.

- Changed the oil, and it looked like I had found some gold. So I know my days are numbered. There is no noticeable knock right now, so I'm contemplating running it on July 14th/15th. I'm really tempted becauseof the next item.

- Picked up a set of nicely used 245/34/18 Hoosier A6's and some 18x8 wheels for a really good deal. Measurements tell me they should fit with my current suspension (fingers crossed), but I'll find out when I get them mounted next week.

- Coilovers fell through, so I'm still looking for a suspension solution. I'm still between spending some cash and getting a nice ground control setup, or saving some bucks and getting a Tein or KW setup. If anyone has comments/opinions or anything for sale, let me know!

So my wants and needs have again shifted. I'll be focusing on getting more seat time till the engine dies, swapping in a EJ255 to keep me ESP legal, then getting more seat time. Videos to come if I run on the 14th & 15th.
    ~Stan

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry to hear about the engine. Hopefully she holds out a ways.

Nice to hear an update though. Hopefully the other chunk of the life and the house ordeal is going well, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the engine. Hopefully she holds out a ways.

Nice to hear an update though. Hopefully the other chunk of the life and the house ordeal is going well, too.
    Thanks! I'm hoping to get the hoosiers on by the 4th, so I may be out to see how little life is left in the engine in the next few weeks.

Seems like you've been having a good amount of fun as well. Enjoying the 2011 STi? If you're ever out in the Philly region, give me a shout.
    ~Stan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Thanks! I'm hoping to get the hoosiers on by the 4th, so I may be out to see how little life is left in the engine in the next few weeks.

Seems like you've been having a good amount of fun as well. Enjoying the 2011 STi? If you're ever out in the Philly region, give me a shout.
    Yeah I'm still lovin the car. I want to try to make a weekend trip out to philly. It'd be nice if I could double up visiting a few friends along with a victory meet. Will let you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Yeah I'm still lovin the car. I want to try to make a weekend trip out to philly. It'd be nice if I could double up visiting a few friends along with a victory meet. Will let you know.
    Sounds good.

Got the new wheels and Hoosiers mounted. The guys at my local Pepboys must have like me, considering they did it for free at the end of the day. I'll throw them on Sunday morning, see how the 245/35/18's fit, and report back with results.

Last edited by Hold_Fast; 07-09-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    ~Stan

^^^Im lovin' those rims, and sorry to hear about the engine =/