Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. - Page 3
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Hold_Fast Mother of god. How many miles did he have on that thing? I'm hoping that a ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Mother of god. How many miles did he have on that thing?

I'm hoping that a multi-day soak in PB blaster will help loosen things up. I also just got a 3' steel cheater bar for my breaker bar (), and if that doesn't work, I'll take a torch to that SOB. But I'm praying it is easier than your experience.
    Well, the rear one was bent when he got it, so the forces from that may have led to the seizure. Hopefully it goes better for you though. just try to get in those bushing sleeves with the stuff, and smack the bolt with a hammer pretty well. I may buy him some trailing arm bushings just to give him a rough time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be posting about my experience regardless...

But any friend who is willing to buy me parts (regardless of the ball busting involved) is a good friend by my standards.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

I Support ClubWRX
    Shameless meet promotion: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ml#post2836529

Please alert the Lehigh crew.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

^Consider it done!

Just ordered some gaskets and things for my manifold/TGV work. New:

- TB Gasket
    - TGV>Manifold Gasket
    - Manifold>Head Gasket
    - 3mm Phenolic Manifold Spacers

I'm looking forward to seeing how well the spacers perform. If they can keep the manifold cooler during events this summer, an 8mm set may be in my future.
    ~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm looking forward to seeing how well the spacers perform. If they can keep the manifold cooler during events this summer, an 8mm set may be in my future.
    I chickened out when I went to install the spacers that I was going to use last summer. The pins that align the intake manifold would have been rendered useless with the spacers. I was also concerned with clearance with the PW TMIC. That is a tall IC.

The TGV deletes have had no effect on cold morning starts. Got down to 11 recently - the WRX ran fine.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 01-13-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I had problems with the spacers as well, but came up with an ingenious solution.

I took a coat hangar, and trimmed it into 8 straight 10mm-ish pieces. I put each of the pieces of coat hangar into the pins that are there to hold the gaskets in place. Then I put the gasket, the phenolic, then the gasket with the pins going through the alignment holes. This lined up the bolt holes perfectly, and allowed me to get the intake manifold/TGV combination bolted to the heads. The coat hangars are still there as far as I know, but they're not noticeable, and they took a 4hr headache, and turned it into a 15 minute job.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I chickened out when I went to install the spacers that I was going to install last summer. The pins that align the intake manifold would have been rendered useless with the spacers. I was also concerned with clearance with the PW TMIC. That is a tall IC.

The TGV deletes have had no effect on cold morning starts. Got down to 11 recently - the WRX ran fine.
    That's why I chickened out on the 8mm. I have no clue what top mount I will be going with, and don't want to deal with that aggrivations. But it's good to hear that you haven't had any cold start issues.

Do you by chance remember what CEL codes you had to disable in the ECU for removing the TGV's?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I had problems with the spacers as well, but came up with an ingenious solution.

I took a coat hangar, and trimmed it into 8 straight 10mm-ish pieces. I put each of the pieces of coat hangar into the pins that are there to hold the gaskets in place. Then I put the gasket, the phenolic, then the gasket with the pins going through the alignment holes. This lined up the bolt holes perfectly, and allowed me to get the intake manifold/TGV combination bolted to the heads. The coat hangars are still there as far as I know, but they're not noticeable, and they took a 4hr headache, and turned it into a 15 minute job.
    Brilliant! Thanks for the heads up.
    ~Stan

I Support ClubWRX
    That's why I chickened out on the 8mm. I have no clue what top mount I will be going with, and don't want to deal with that aggrivations. But it's good to hear that you haven't had any cold start issues.

Do you by chance remember what CEL codes you had to disable in the ECU for removing the TGV's?
    They are built right into RomRaider. Super easy. What EM are you using?
    Mods & Pics

They are built right into RomRaider. Super easy. What EM are you using?
    RomRaider. So that will work out perfectly, just a simple re-flash. Thank you Bill.
    ~Stan

I Support ClubWRX
    RomRaider. So that will work out perfectly, just a simple re-flash. Thank you Bill.
    Anytime.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 01-13-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    RR snip:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TGVCEL.GIF  
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    why are you getting rid of your misfire CELs?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

RR snip:
    You the man.

I would only get rid of the 3 that say "TGV CEL fix". All the others would remain.

Does anyone here have experience with the Boomba Fuel Rails? I'm considering getting a pair to install while I have the manifold out. They're reasonable, only $110, then I just need to order fuel line and fittings to complete the install. I think it would really help clean up the engine bay, and also make it easier to pull the manifold in the future.

Check it out: Next Gen WRX top feed fuel rail - NASIOC

Boomba Racing, Inc. :: Subaru WRX

I may just need some help doing some basic tuning for them, so I can drive the car to get tuned. Still haven't decided where I'm going yet.
    ~Stan

I Support ClubWRX
    Good question - I am checking with my tuner.
    Mods & Pics

Well, didn't get as much work done as I would have hoped for yesterday. But I did get a nice start on getting the intake manifold pulled. Removed the IC, intake, and misc brackets and accessories. Hopefully another hour or two next weekend and it'll be off and on it's way to Area1320.
    ~Stan