Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. - Page 22
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Garage is done! Permit is closed. Time to do electrical. Pending weather this weekend (and me fixing my truck), I ...

Garage is done! Permit is closed. Time to do electrical. Pending weather this weekend (and me fixing my truck), I should be able to rent a ditch witch and lay some pipe out to the building. At the very least, I'll get the car parked in there.

~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looks great Stan!

You have so much room for activities!!!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Thanks Mikie! She's gonna start filling up quick though. Gave the subie a quick bath since it was (soooo nice out) before she goes in the garage for the winter.

And in she went.

~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Another month long update, which will hopefully be the start of some more frequent ones, since I'm slowly kindling the fire under my ass.

After getting the car in the garage, I was doing my normal forum surfing and stubled upon a set of Wilwood front & rear 4 piston calipers with 2 piece rotors for a damn good deal. My main point of getting these is weight reduction. The aluminum calipers weigh maybe 2-3lbs a piece, and the rotors only 9lbs. This reduces corner weight by a little over 20 pounds per corner, ~10 of that being rotating mass. They'll need a bit of work, front dust boots and rotor rings need to be replaced, but for what I paid I can't complain too much. Another plus was the additional pads that were included, so I have two great sets of pads for autox.

So I posted a feeler for my existing brake setup, got a bunch of interest, and sold it to a Lehigh Valley Subaru guy who is building a Factory 5 818. These needed to come off anyway, as my winter plans are coming together. So no brakes!

The winter work list is about done (maybe):
    - Pull front suspension (more on this in a moment)
    - Pull front control arms and front and rear hubs
    - Remove trans and tear into it for front differential swap
    - Rebuild the 4 hubs I have laying around and press in extended wheel studs
    - Reinstall trans, hubs, suspension, new brakes and the aluminum front sedan control arms and axles I've had laying around.
    - Do the fuel mods to get tuned for E85 in March-ish (injectors and filter)

And of course, with my luck, when I was removing the calipers and rotors from the front of the car, I noticed my front dampers were leaking fluid from the bottom. So I email turn in concepts with the picture below, and hope to get these back to JRZ and have the issue resolved before spring hits...

But that's all I'll get for this week. I jump on a plane to Baton Rouge tomorrow and won't be back till Friday. I'm hoping I'll get a good amount of work hammered out when I get back. Till next time...
    ~Stan

Also, I'll be getting rid of my 18x8 +45 MB Motorsport wheels once I get the Hoosiers dismounted. If anyone would be interested, let me know!

~Stan

Appears you got the new hose kit ok. Those old ones do look a bit worse for wear...!

I did! Thanks Todd. You can see why I wanted to replace them, haha. I'm going to pull the calipers apart when I get back on Friday and see if there is anything else needed besides dust boots, then you'll see an order from me.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    ~Stan

Well I got a little bit accomplished this weekend. Pulled the front dampers, tore them down, and mailed them over to Turn In Concepts. They'll get them over to JRZ for repair under warrenty.

Also put in an order for some caliper dust boots and a piston wrench, since I'm having a helluva time pulling the pistons out. Usually I would blast them with air, but my neighbors compressor is currently down for rebuild. Since I haven't finished the electrical in the garage yet, I'll have to hope these do the trick...
    ~Stan

I might have missed this, but what was wrong with the coilovers?

Also the season is only ~3 months away , for us at least.

Damn, wish I had known your Brembos were for sale!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    I might have missed this, but what was wrong with the coilovers?

Also the season is only ~3 months away , for us at least.
    They were leaking at the bottom due to some machining issues that JRZ apparently had, from what TiC told me.

But I know! Mine too, I'm going to be cutting it damn close with how much work I still have planned and how crazy work will be for the next 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Damn, wish I had known your Brembos were for sale!
    Sorry buddy! I keep forgetting you have a shiny new car...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    ~Stan

Small update...

- Just talked to Tony from TiC, my front suspenstion should be back from JRZ in ~3 weeks. That means I can try to bust my ass and get everything back together in preparation for that.

- I'm about to sell some wheels so I'll have fat stacks of cash to buy mad parts with. (except I just remembered the $600 I spent on winter tires )

- My Karlton wagon specific fender flares came in. I'll see if I can get some pics of them taped up on the car.

Now I just need to get my ass in the garage.
    ~Stan

Easy on the piston wrench tho...they are not going to give you a ton of torque to really wrestle with frozen parts. There's only so much grip you can give it. The ideal way of getting those moving would be to put them on the car with the rotor in place and some worn pads or pad spacers and push them out with fluid pressure.

Air pressure works too but unless you block things up really well you'll pop out one piston and be stuck with the other three. We've all done it..!

Thanks for the suggestions Todd. I've stalled long enough now that my neighbor has his compressor back up and running. So I might give the air a with some good blocking a shot and see how it goes. I'll let you know if I can't figure it out . Thanks again for your help!
    ~Stan

karlton specific wagon flares OMG. :drooling:

wanted those with a 18x10 +20 and a 285 but since its my DD ive decided against it :/ cant wait to see how it looks and also I AM GOING TO 2 AUTOX events this year with you lol.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.