Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. - Page 20
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello good friends, long time no update. So, I've been continuing my trend of laziness lately. Between house work, STILL ...

Hello good friends, long time no update.

So, I've been continuing my trend of laziness lately. Between house work, STILL battling my township for a building permit, and work, I've been beat. But I think I've finally re-kindled the fire under my ass. Just got these in today:

I'm tired of killing my batteries when the car sits, and told myself if I did the last one in (which I did apparently), I would get a better battery and a permanent battery tender to install in the car. Being a man of my word, I did. This battery tender is pretty kick ass, and might even be able to recover the last one I just killed, so we'll see what happens.

New plans? E85. All the torques, all the time. So that means some slight fuel upgrades. Walbro 255 will be upgraded to an AEM 320lph E85 compatible pump. Injectors will be upgraded per the tuners recommendation, and then there's the tune. Fortunately, everything else should be good to go, though I'll probably upgrade the hose I have currently to something teflon lined for long term. OH, and maybe a spare transmission.

This will also be on my wish list, but I'll make due with a $15 graduated cylinder for now: Zeitronix ECA : SEMA Award Winning Ethanol Content Analyzer and Flex Fuel Sensor for E-85 and E-85/gasoline Blends

I also got some other awesome news today, but no details on that till I iron a few things out.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ohhh that Zeitronix flex fuel sensor is badass!!! That'd really make your car versatile.

So the township doesn't want you to build a garage, eh?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    This will also be on my wish list, but I'll make due with a $15 graduated cylinder for now: Zeitronix ECA : SEMA Award Winning Ethanol Content Analyzer and Flex Fuel Sensor for E-85 and E-85/gasoline Blends

I also got some other awesome news today, but no details on that till I iron a few things out.
    The guys over at RR are working on a patch using that fuel sensor, if you didn't know. It would allow you to run a mix of e85 or automatically interpolate between a few versions of key tables (fueling/timing/boost) depending on the output of the fuel sensor. I think it's going to be a while, however. Are you running an open source or cobb tune? I'm not sure regarding any options Cobb has for it. I believe the guys on RR are using their TGV sensor input as the input for the sensor.

Builds coming along nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Ohhh that Zeitronix flex fuel sensor is badass!!! That'd really make your car versatile.

So the township doesn't want you to build a garage, eh?
    Agreed! I need to do more research to see what my options are, but a flex fuel WRX would be awesome. The township, they have been a major pain in ass, mostly because they deny the permit for something small, I fix it, they deny something else, I fix it, deny, rinse and repeat. But I think this might be my last week of this nonsense...

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    The guys over at RR are working on a patch using that fuel sensor, if you didn't know. It would allow you to run a mix of e85 or automatically interpolate between a few versions of key tables (fueling/timing/boost) depending on the output of the fuel sensor. I think it's going to be a while, however. Are you running an open source or cobb tune? I'm not sure regarding any options Cobb has for it. I believe the guys on RR are using their TGV sensor input as the input for the sensor.

Builds coming along nice!
    I was not aware of that. I am opensource, no plans for Cobb, so that could be pretty kickass if it comes through. Though what little I've searched now, I'm sure I would have to swap my '04 ECU to something 32 bit (and DBW while I'm at it, which I want to do anyway). Any particular thread to track their developements?

Thanks buddy.
    ~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Hello good friends, long time no update.

So, I've been continuing my trend of laziness lately. Between house work, STILL battling my township for a building permit, and work, I've been beat. But I think I've finally re-kindled the fire under my ass. Just got these in today:

I'm tired of killing my batteries when the car sits, and told myself if I did the last one in (which I did apparently), I would get a better battery and a permanent battery tender to install in the car. Being a man of my word, I did. This battery tender is pretty kick ass, and might even be able to recover the last one I just killed, so we'll see what happens.
    What exactly does the battery tender do? I too struggle with killing batteries

A battery tender basically maintains a charge on the battey. There are really cheap ones and really expensive ones (~$20 - $200+). After reading the reviews and features, I ended up going with the CTEK ($54 when I bought it Sunday):

CTEK 93-56-864 MUS 4.3 Black 12V Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive

Good reviews, and the fact that Porsche also rebrands them gives me confidence that it'll last. Tons of features, "8 stage charging", winter charge mode, can charge higher end AGM batteries (Optima/Odyssey), battery recovery mode, and is water/weather proof, so I can mount it in the engine bay. I plan on just leaving the plug somewhere easily accessable and plugging in the battery every couple of days. I'll post pictures once the install is done.
    ~Stan

I Support ClubWRX
    I was not aware of that. I am opensource, no plans for Cobb, so that could be pretty kickass if it comes through. Though what little I've searched now, I'm sure I would have to swap my '04 ECU to something 32 bit (and DBW while I'm at it, which I want to do anyway). Any particular thread to track their developements?

Thanks buddy.
    RomRaider • View topic - Investigating a flex-fuel hack for A2WC522N and other ROMs

... It's slowed down a bit. The updates are few and far between - but they are normally pretty substantial. I didn't realize your ECU wasn't 32 bit. Think they make the carberry ROM for you car? That's another good one, FWIW.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

- Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    RomRaider • View topic - Investigating a flex-fuel hack for A2WC522N and other ROMs

... It's slowed down a bit. The updates are few and far between - but they are normally pretty substantial. I didn't realize your ECU wasn't 32 bit. Think they make the carberry ROM for you car? That's another good one, FWIW.
    Apparently the carberry ROM only works for 02-03 USDM ECU's. So my best option would most likely be to go aftermarket/piggyback ECU, or just buy a 06-07 wrx/sti harness & ECU and rewire the whole damn car. Still haven't made up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post

I've learned one thing between all this crap. Remain calm, and give 0 ****s.
    ~Stan

I Support ClubWRX
    Apparently the carberry ROM only works for 02-03 USDM ECU's. So my best option would most likely be to go aftermarket/piggyback ECU, or just buy a 06-07 wrx/sti harness & ECU and rewire the whole damn car. Still haven't made up my mind.
    Ah, that's a sad one. That's no fun =(
    2011 STi Build Log

It is. But let me see how much ECU & harness is going for these days...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    ~Stan

So, $300 gets me:

- 06-07 wrx ecu and harness.
    - ability to use the intake avcs, which is currently disabled.
    - can tune for launch control and flat foot shifting once I throw on a drive by wire throttle body.
    - can take advantage of other upgrades for 32 bit ecu's.

Only con? Holy **** it's going to be a lot of work.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    ~Stan

A few things to have been going on...

Area1320, one of my local dedicated subaru shops, has offered to sponsor my ride. They will be helping me out with tuning and getting the car ready for 2014. Very exciting to be working with such a good shop.

My 2014 plans for the car are starting to come together. One of the main components will hopefully be some Karlton fender flares. If anyone is interested in some wagon flares, see this nasioc page and sign up! A few people are still needed to get the custom sets rolling. They will look something like this, except on a wagon:

Also key will be some driveline changes, but that will get rolling in December, once this hole I dug turns into a garage.

~Stan

Wow, that's good news all around. Congrats on the sponsorship and finally getting the approval for the garage.

So what's the plan for wheels and tires that you want those flares?

Thanks! I currently have a 18x9.5 +25 with a 275/35 slick for autox, which poke like crazy, and I'm only looking to go bigger. I'm probably going to pick one of these up:

XXR 53181543 531 Reaxion Wheel 18x11 5x100/5x4.5 20mm offset Hyper Silver/ML

$150 for a 18x11, see how they fit with a corded 315/30 slick. If it fits well, I'll buy the other 3, maybe run them for a season while I try and find something nicer than XXR's. My other option is a set of custom Forgeline's for $1350. I'm just not sure if the extra cost is worth it.
    ~Stan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.