Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. - Page 17
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yes they certainly are. I went t-bolt on everything from the MAF to the throttle body. While I was at ...

Yes they certainly are. I went t-bolt on everything from the MAF to the throttle body. While I was at it I got stainless worm clamps for everything else (head breathers, etc). SOO much nicer than crap at home depot racing, autozone, etc. I <3 McMaster Carr.
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hoosiers are mounted. Didn't make the trip to get the turbo, will do that Saturday. Pictures tomorrow, for now, beer.

Oh, and if you're in the lower Bucks area, I would HIGHLY recommend these guys:

ASE Certified Auto Technicians | Fairless Hills PA | RPMTireAuto.Com

Cool bunch of guys, mounted the tires for $10 a pop, very mod friendly. I'll probably be going back there for alignment checkup's.
    ~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Hoosiers are mounted. Didn't make the trip to get the turbo, will do that Saturday. Pictures tomorrow, for now, beer.

Oh, and if you're in the lower Bucks area, I would HIGHLY recommend these guys:

ASE Certified Auto Technicians | Fairless Hills PA | RPMTireAuto.Com

Cool bunch of guys, mounted the tires for $10 a pop, very mod friendly. I'll probably be going back there for alignment checkup's.
    Innnnnnteresting.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Yep, a bunch of mechanics who got tired of working for a big chain shop, so they started their own business. I was talking to them about alignment and some other stuff and they sound like they are pretty experienced with the aftermarket crowd. "Let me guess, you're running something like -2.5-3* front, a little less in the rear?" So I'll definitely be giving them another shot.
    ~Stan

^that's pretty awesome. Might be worth checking out for me as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

If you end up making a trip up there Mikie, let me know. It's about ~10 minutes from my place, I'll buy ya a beer.

So since the weather was ****-tastic this weekend, not much got done besides going and grabbing a new turbo. Probably get a little work done on taking everything apart tonight. Going to do my damndest to get it back together for Victory on Saturday and autox on Sunday. Now if only the new gaskets and what not would show up...

Last night I spent some time test fitting the new wheels and tires. Surprisingly, the 275's don't fit too bad. I still need a spacer for inboard clearance, already have the ARP's, and just ordered the spacers tonight. If I was willing to give up a little camber, they only seem to need a little pull to work.

~Stan

So in about a half hour, the only thing stopping me from pulling this bad boy is:

- Yanking the DP off the two bottom turbo studs.
    - Removing the oil feed line.
    - Yanking off the coolant feed/return and oil return.
    - Unbolting the last uppipe bolt that's covered by the DP.

So it looks like I have a shot of nearly completing this tomorrow. Just got shipment notification for my OEM parts, so I'll keep my fingers crossed it gets here quick.

Also got shipment notification for one of the new GrimmSpeed products, splitter specifically designed to maximize airflow to aftermarket intercoolers:

GrimmSpeed

There is a group buy going on over on nasioc, so you can pick it up for $140 vs. $199!
    ~Stan

Those tires look baller! You gonna make it to Victory this weekend?

And that splitter...nice piece! Does it offer any improvement over an STI TMIC, stock?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks Mikie! And fingers crossed on driving the car to Victory. The new turbo oil feed crush washers won't show up till next week, but if it doesn't leak, I'll drive it. If it doesn't work out, I'll be riding dirty in my sweet Hyundai.

And from what I can tell, they claim there is improved airflow over stock. But the thing really shines with an aftermarket TMIC. When I look at mine, I have a mark from the stock splitter that shows how 1/3 of the top of the IC doesn't even get airflow. That should REALLY help cool things down.
    ~Stan

So....close...

Just need to bolt the downpipe back up, put the intercooler and catch cans back on, and I'm ready to roll!* Signed up for some autox with the northern NJ region for Sunday as well. As long as the weather is decent, should be a good time.

*As long as I didn't screw something up and end up spewing oil and coolant everywhere.
    ~Stan

hope to see ya tmmrw!

once my car is tuned id like to attend an auto x event with ya.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I swear, ESP is designed to break my car. First, BAD TURBO:

Fixed that. Then today, BAD MSI TUBULAR LATERAL LINK:

I made it back from Metlife stadium, fortunately. I do, however, think that it's time to get a trailer. I don't want to have to do that again.

Video of me drifting with a broken lateral link may be coming, maybe.
    ~Stan

Also, I did get the new GrimmSpeed splitter installed. It was too cool today and my car broke too soon to be able to tell if it made a huge difference, but boy does their packaging look good.

~Stan

Damn man...and the hits keep on coming.

Least you made it to Victory!

Damn man...and the hits keep on coming.

Least you made it to Victory!