Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. - Page 14
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My first event, I only walked the course once or twice... I got lost, only got 1 clean run out ...

My first event, I only walked the course once or twice... I got lost, only got 1 clean run out of 4.

After that I got progressively better at learning the course, I walk it 3+ times and try to walk with some veterans.

Man I can't wait for AutoX season to start up again so I can try my STI.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    My first event, I only walked the course once or twice... I got lost, only got 1 clean run out of 4.

After that I got progressively better at learning the course, I walk it 3+ times and try to walk with some veterans.

Man I can't wait for AutoX season to start up again so I can try my STI.
    Has to be soon for you, right?

Did a few small things tonight. Did some stickering and some shopping. Ride height still needs to be played with, but I can take care of that tomorrow or Saturday...

Picked this up since electric air pumps suck. I'm tired of going through them (even the good ones), blowing fuses, etc. So $30 well spent in my book, and it's already pumped up to 110psi.

Took a half day off work tomorrow to swing by AZP Installs and throw the car on the alignment rack and talk to them about their contingency program. Might be putting more stickers on the car. Then I'll be driving up to Metlife stadium to sign in and tech the car for the NJ ProSolo Saturday and Sunday. Time to see how I can do against some real drivers...
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Our first event is May 8th, I'm just hoping I get enough miles on the car before then.

Got some results from last weekend's autox with the Porsche club. I'm calling it "RU Faster than a Porsche"

Final results - 5/21 "Non Porsche's"
    PAX - 5/55 Overall (scoff at GT3's)

Long day at the meadowlands today. Finished 4/8 in ESP. I'm loosing a lot of time at the drag strip start and just need to drive harder overall. I was beat by 25 years of experience, wind tunnel testing, and 315 series Hoosiers. Getting a lot of compliments on the "little wagon that could" too, so I'm happy.

From today...

Results: http://sololive.scca.com/ESP.html

~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

I Support ClubWRX
    Great results! I will probably pick up autoX in the future. I think next spring I will end up pretty heavy in both the HPDEs up at Beaver and any local autoXs. Until I get another car and a few more dollars into the sti, I don't want to risk breaking anything and being out a good chunk of money on the spot.

Overall, how do you like the coils? I'm pretty sure they are filled with straight up unicorn jizz. No water or anything to dilute it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Thanks buddy! I wouldn't fear breakage too much, though I'm sure you want to be careful with the whole ringland failure thing, right? Out of all the people there this weekend, I only heard of 2 broken motor mounts on a 06 sti and a miata.

The coils are freaking fantastic. I drove the car to and from the meadowlands all 3 days (55 miles one way), and is doesn't even feel like I have high spring rates on for the most part. On course, I probably need to lower the rear spring rates a little. But other than that, I am one happy customer. Definitely would recommend for the serious enthusiast.
    ~Stan

Cool vid! I'd never actually seen what AutoX is like to be honest.

How the hell do you know where you're going???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Cool vid! I'd never actually seen what AutoX is like to be honest.

How the hell do you know where you're going???
    Not that I've ever done it, but the cones indicate which way to go around them, and walking the course before driving it.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Thanks buddy! I wouldn't fear breakage too much, though I'm sure you want to be careful with the whole ringland failure thing, right? Out of all the people there this weekend, I only heard of 2 broken motor mounts on a 06 sti and a miata.

The coils are freaking fantastic. I drove the car to and from the meadowlands all 3 days (55 miles one way), and is doesn't even feel like I have high spring rates on for the most part. On course, I probably need to lower the rear spring rates a little. But other than that, I am one happy customer. Definitely would recommend for the serious enthusiast.
    Cool. I think I am leaning towards Tarmac 2s when I jump to coils. Just kinda the defacto tried and true one I feel for STi's. Glad to hear those coils are working out though. The brand sure has an impressive history, which is a big thing I look for when buying products.

AutoX I wouldn't mind jumping into now - I'm not overly concerned about breaking stuff there. It would give me an excuse to buy stupidly expensive tires as well again though, haha. I'd be more concerned about breaking stuff up at the HPDE... 20 minutes straight quite close to rev limit is definitely a worry. Just one of those things I'd enjoy it a lot more if I had another car in case I broke the STi.

I've actually been noticing a lot more flex in my drive line lately. I will take a look at my engine mounts next time the car is in the air actually. Never know.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Not that I've ever done it, but the cones indicate which way to go around them, and walking the course before driving it.
    That is correct. Walking the course multiple times is key to figure out where the car needs to be to make sure you're set up for the next gate/slolum/etc. Or you can go buckwild and just blow through walls of cones. It's always fun to see how many can be dragged to the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Cool. I think I am leaning towards Tarmac 2s when I jump to coils. Just kinda the defacto tried and true one I feel for STi's. Glad to hear those coils are working out though. The brand sure has an impressive history, which is a big thing I look for when buying products.

AutoX I wouldn't mind jumping into now - I'm not overly concerned about breaking stuff there. It would give me an excuse to buy stupidly expensive tires as well again though, haha. I'd be more concerned about breaking stuff up at the HPDE... 20 minutes straight quite close to rev limit is definitely a worry. Just one of those things I'd enjoy it a lot more if I had another car in case I broke the STi.

I've actually been noticing a lot more flex in my drive line lately. I will take a look at my engine mounts next time the car is in the air actually. Never know.
    The Tarmac 2's are definitely a great setup. I would have went with them, but certain individuals sold me on the monotube design, so I drank that koolaid. I do know quite a few people who like them though.

That is the only thing that really keeps me into autox instead of getting into track days is the higher potential for major breakage. Plus I just enjoy throwing the car around real hard with little to no risk of slamming it into a wall. And better tires are always moar fun, the first suspension mod every driver should do!

And no updates for this week. I'm currently in Houston, then in Baton Rouge till Friday. So I'll be enjoying some fine Texas weather, and a bar that has 200 beers ON TAP.
    ~Stan

You mean on FAP
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    That is the only thing that really keeps me into autox instead of getting into track days is the higher potential for major breakage. Plus I just enjoy throwing the car around real hard with little to no risk of slamming it into a wall. And better tires are always moar fun, the first suspension mod every driver should do!
    Well, if I get any better tires than I have... I don't think my brakes will hold up at an HPDE without some more aggressive pads than the DS2500s. I'd rather save some cash this summer though I think with the recent house purchase, and may just hold off for a year on auto events. I am pretty sure my tires will fail inspection at this point (a 1" band on the inside of the back tires.. due to my laziness) and I gotta replace them ASAP. Hence - going with cheaper tires this summer =(
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You mean on FAP
    Man, Texans seem to loooovee beer. If you ever make it as far south as Tennessee or North Caroline, try and find a Flying Saucer Draught Emporium. Awesome place, and the atmosphere is GREAT, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Well, if I get any better tires than I have... I don't think my brakes will hold up at an HPDE without some more aggressive pads than the DS2500s. I'd rather save some cash this summer though I think with the recent house purchase, and may just hold off for a year on auto events. I am pretty sure my tires will fail inspection at this point (a 1" band on the inside of the back tires.. due to my laziness) and I gotta replace them ASAP. Hence - going with cheaper tires this summer =(
    Always next year then. I would recommend holding off as well, since there is no stopping me now that I drank the purple koolaid. It's just too damn fun, I want to go faster and kick some mustang ass.

So do any of the resident open source tuner's know about adding launch control and flat foot shifting to tunes?
    ~Stan

Got some Amsoil in today and started doing a bit more work on figuring out the wheel and tire situation. Think I have a plan, but I just need to find some used wheels that work.

Anyway, oil change for the Hyundai and transmission oil for the wagon:

Some pictures from the NJ pro:

~Stan

I wanna race