Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. - Page 12
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Calvinball I'm not sure you understand, Mikie wasn't talking about his car... Or maybe you understood all ...

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I'm not sure you understand, Mikie wasn't talking about his car...

Or maybe you understood all too well

No progess on the diff tonight. Too busy posting for sale threads. Buy my Monoflex's! Come with more springs than your grandma's mattress!

02-07 wrx/04 STi Tein Monoflex - Freshly Rebuilt
    ~Stan
    '04 WRB WRX Wagon (Build) - Hard Parked, AutoX Toy
    '08 WRX ~ Daily Beaten ~ '86 BMW 325es ~ "The Chump"

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, Fred Bean's Subaru let me down. Called them on my way home to confirm that my parts were ready for pickup tomorrow. They call me back and tell me they accidentally shipped them to me, when I specifically told the guy to make a note on the order that I will pick them up. So, now I won't have parts till Monday.

~Stan

"I was raised knowing there is a replacement for displacement, it's called engineering."

Any chance you can hold the shipment at the sort facility? I've had luck with that in the past.

They're already closed for the day, but I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if the can give me the tracking. I just hope it wasn't shipped USPS.

Thanks for bringing that up though. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed I can still get it tomorrow.
    ~Stan

No dice, looks like they have "one guy who does UPS and he isn't in today". Oh well, Monday it is. I can at least get it cleaned up and the case ground down to accommodate the new diff.
    ~Stan

Got a couple things done while I wait for the new parts to come in.

Reassembled the diff and measured the OEM backlash. Came out at .004, which is good. (range is .0039-.0078)

Disassembled, and removed the ring gear from the old LSD. Thank god for my neighbors air tools.

Ring gear on the new LSD, all torqued and ready to go.

Also took a couple minutes and cleaned up the rear diff cover. Again, air tools.

I'll hopefully get the bearings in tomorrow, then all that's left to do is:
    - press them onto the new diff
    - install new LSD and side covers
    - grind down case to fit new diff
    - check backlash and gear wear patter
    - make any shim adjustments, if necessary (hopefully won't be)
    - final torquing

I'll let you guys know how far I get tomorrow.
    ~Stan

Nice work! Open up my diff...and you'll see all bare smooth discs. No gears at all
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

My favorite kind of diff!

Got the parts in from Fred Beans today. Got everything I need, and more! They some how packed some flywheel bolts and some "angle sensing camshaft blades" for a Mitsubishi in with my parts. I'm confused, but glad I didn't get charged for them at least.
    ~Stan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hold_Fast View Post
    Got the parts in from Fred Beans today. Got everything I need, and more! They some how packed some flywheel bolts and some "angle sensing camshaft blades" for a Mitsubishi in with my parts. I'm confused, but glad I didn't get charged for them at least.
    Surprise!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Boom, tuff actin tanactin.

~Stan

So now that I'm sitting at work and have had my coffee, I thought I would just post some more insight on the swap for anyone that might be interested.

1) Get your hands on the FSM for this. It doesn't have the best pictures, but you'll get 95% of the info you'll need for the swap.

2) There isn't too much info out there for walk through's, but I did find one which helped a bit. It's missing steps & specs, which is why having the FSM is so important. Find it here.

3) My biggest issue was stuck bolts. The side and rear covers are made out of aluminum, the bolts steel, and the case cast iron. The aluminum covers corroded, and the aluminum oxide fuzed the steel bolts to the case. Be prepared with extra bolts and extra side covers just in case. I snapped a total of 5 bolt heads off, had chunks of the side covers come off, but was able to save the rear cover. Fortunately, new side covers are only $20, and come with the $6 axle seals already installed. The snapped bolts were easy to remove with some heat and vice grips, fortunately.

4) Spend the money and replace the bearings. For me, it wasn't worth the time to try and pull the old ones off without damaging them. Just buy new, and press the new bearings onto the diff, and the outter races into the side covers.

5) Keep all the shims on the same sides, and the backlash and wear pattern should come out fine. I ordered shims to be on the safe side ($1.90 a piece), but everything came out to spec.

Based on the quotes I recieved from shops who would actually do the work, I easily saved myself $400-$800, even more since the issues with the stuck bolts. We'll see how it goes though. Fingers crossed I didn't accidentally mess something up.
    ~Stan

So I discovered that swapping rear diffs is more like a two person job without a transmission jack. Got the old one out fairly easily, but I just couldn't get the new one balanced on the jack enough to feel like I wasn't going to drop it. So I'll hopefully get that wrapped up on Friday (get good friday off work, woo hoo! ), then get the diff broken in and ready to race in north jersey at the meadowlands on Saturday.

Tony from TiC claims that my JRZ's will be at their shop sometime early this week. I could possibly have them by the weekend, but at this point, I won't hold my breath.
    ~Stan

I'be been meaning to get on here and post an update, but I was too busy enjoying the beautiful weather this weekend.

Friday, met my buddy at my garage at 9am, pounded some NO-XPLODE, and got to wrenching. Had the car all back together by noon, just had to go around the car and reset the torque on everything we touched. Lucky we didn't snap any bolts.

Anyway, diff was in, torqued down everything that was pulled to do the install (lateral links, etc), put the exhaust back on, coilovers on, oil changed, catch can back in, reflashed a new map, and rolled out of the garage. With another dose of XPLODE, broke out the detailing kit and washed, polished, and sealed the **** out of the paint. Looking good now.

Car felt good, pulled well. Nice to drive it for the first time since November. And suprisingly, the Monoflex's ride pretty nice for having 12k front and 10k rear springs on them. All I have left to do now is get the car all decaled up (I probably have 200hp of stickers laying around) and change some other fluids.

Also, might be getting some 295/30/18 Hoosier A6's.
    ~Stan

Looks like you typed that up after slugging some NO-Xplode too

Glad progress is looking good, now post pics damnit!

BTW...that stuff is my go to pre-workout. I love it. I also like to take it in mornings at work...I hate coffee, so I need some sort of pick-me-up, and it does the trick. I bounce off of walls for about 3 or 4 hours and get a lot of **** done
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

hahahaha do you even wrench bro???
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram