Subaru WRX Forum banner

Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Because race car.

63K views 404 replies 23 participants last post by  A265 
#1 · (Edited)
Hold_Fast's ESP/SM/AutoX/Track build. Procastination racing.

I figured it's time to finally get a build thread going to keep track of my progress and keep myself motivated to get work done to the car. It is officially no longer my DD, so I've decided to start driving it like it's meant to be. With a few autox events under my belt, I'm going to start getting more prepared for next season in ESP and to start doing some HPDE's.

Now with more F Prepared goodness.

2004 WRX wagon - Gutted and lightened

Sponsors: Me

POWER
EJ255 w/ intake AVCS disabled
Borg Warner EFR6758 w/ 46mm restrictor
Tons of Heat Wrap

Driveline
Trans built by Rallispec, all the diffs, all the bushings

Brakes
Big light ones

Wheels
2 sets of 18x9.5" with 275/35/18 Hoosier A6's

See less See more
1 1
#350 ·
Stan! What's good buddy???

Damn...all this time I had no idea that's what PPG stood for :rotfl:

#351 ·
#352 ·
How you guys doing? Long time no chat! :beerchug: Have I missed any meets??

And yes, I too had no idea until I looked at the website. :rotfl:

#353 ·
I'll give you some meat!

...Not bad. I'm still not updating my build log... because lazy. I've left the suby on the back burner for now until it's paid off.

#357 ·
Very cool. I'll be interested to see what you come up with for the A/W IC. I have my eye on a BW turbo kit as well. Hopefully getting some of the details finalized on that soon.

As for the car, I picked up a Spearco TMIC for a damn good price. So that will help support the bigger turbo kit in the near future. I also revamped the fuel system, since my push lock hoses weren't in the greatest shape. Picked up a kit the Flat 4 Motorsport offers, putting the pieces together now. Just need to make up a bracket to hold the FPR and order some shorter hoses to satisfy my OCD. Pics once I wrap everything up!

#358 ·
Sup.

Been taking some time to get a few things done around the garage (electrical, insulation, etc.) while I wait for parts to come in. Also hoping to get the E30 BMW sold so I can go pickup my lift!

But anyway, my Full Race stuff finally came in. Boner time! :schwing:

The warm up for the 2015 season is April 12th, so I'll be focusing on getting the engine bay together, and continuing to remove stuff from the car to lighten it up. Once I get the lift, then the trans can come out and go off the Rallispec. Then all I need is to get this thing tuned and see what it puts down.

Back to work!

#360 ·
Post pictures of turbo, forgets to put up the details.

It's a Borg Warner EFR 6758, 53lb/min turbo. One step up from their smallest EFR turbo. Supposed to spool ~200 rpm later than a VF series. Based on other builds, should be good for close to 400whp, pending dyno, etc. I'm pretty pumped to get it in, tuned, and test it out.

BorgWarner EFR 6758 Turbo - Full-Race.com

#362 ·
:beerchug: Thank you sir. Hopefully the next picture of it will be in the engine bay.

#364 ·
Same issue here. But it does help people to stair at the shiny parts and ignore my dull wagon. :cool:

Got a few things done after clearing some items off the "honey-do-list". I have the location of the catch can and FPR nearly laid out. Just need to cut some plate to make up mounts, which is difficult considering my compressor doesn't like 20 degree weather. Also need to vacuum all the crap off the top off the block, 'cause I'm OCD like that. But I'll get some heat going tomorrow and see what I can get done. How I left it:

Also picked up some new head covers that have -8 AN breather fittings tapped into them. Already got the needed gaskets, going to get cracking on that shortly.

Once I get these couple things wrapped up, I'll be ready to knock out the turbo kit. I'll be picking my 2 post lift up on the 14th (next time I'll be home for the weekend, damn work making me travel), so I'll be getting that installed first to you know, make life easier.

So on another note, I'll be taking weekend appointments once I'm up and running. All major forms or payment are accepted (beer, bourbon, gin, etc.). :beerchug:

#365 ·
Those covers are sexy! Too bad they are horizontally opposed and you can't actually see them.

#367 ·
Sup?

I'm really bad at updates! So the lift is installed, and I've been hard at work. Today the transmission went to RalliSpec for the PPG gear set & helical front differential install. Also pulled all of my old exhaust off, and started to fit up the new turbo setup. Hope to get most of that wrapped up this weekend. I have a bunch of exhaust and fuel system stuff for sale, so if anyone wants a sweet deal, let me know.

Signed up for the NJ ProSolo as well. May 8th will be here before I know it, need to get this bish tuned!

Added to the list. :beerchug:

#368 ·
Actually made some progress this weekend. Turbo kit got test fitted, then everything was heat wrapped (wrapping a header is a PITA). Just need to button up the oil & coolant feed/return lines and that will be ready to rock and roll. Interior is now gutted with the exception of some things behind the dash. Seat and harness were also fitted up and installed.

Also got my transmission back from Rallispec. I cannot recommend them enough, even with not having the trans back in the car yet. Dave and his wife Gen go above and beyond to make sure you know what's going on and when you stuff will be ready. The trans will be going back in as soon as I fix some stripped bolts on the cross member, just need to give Pete @ PMP a friendly call!

#369 ·
ugh, cant wait until my car gets to this stage...one day. after the show and DD phase she will be a gutted Auto X car then make her way into some rally x....all in time

#370 ·
I'd love to have a super clean DD, but I just can't keep stuff clean and not scratched/chipped. It's depressing. :lol: That's how I got to this phase so quickly.

I got a solid amount of work done this weekend.

- Transmission went back in
- Turbo is mounted
- New turbo oil feel line, new power steering lines are in
- Fuel system is all mounted and ready to go, apart from two fittings I needed to order.
- Made a bracket for the catch can, started to route some hose.
- Finished gutting the interior for now. Removed the heater core, blower motor, rear wiper assembly, and steering wheel. Just need to finish up some wiring.
- Pulled the front bumper to drop the crash beam (moar weight loss!).

Tomorrow I'll finish up the breather and catch can hoses, get the TMIC fitted, and make my final "to-do" list. It's actually starting to look like a car!

#373 ·
I was getting ready to put the TMIC on to wrap up my test fit of everything, when suddenly, holy **** this thing is not going to fit without some work. I'm basically going to need to fabricate a new passenger side intercooler support bracket and see how I can get this all to work. Not a good start to the week.

Only other good item is my spare set of wheels showed up. Got a screaming deal on these. Never thought I'd run something like this, but they look pretty sweet.

#374 ·
Initial fabrication of the passenger side intercooler bracket. Needs to be tweaked, braced and cleaned up, but it works. Should have a picture of the Spearco sitting pretty in the engine bay tomorrow.

More welding tomorrow!

#376 ·
^18x9.5 :cool: All bout dat dish.

Last night I got the final fit up of the new bracket done. Cut up some extra pieces to brace it up and my neighbor was kind enough to sand blast it for me. Only thing left to do is grind down some slag and give it a rattle can paint job. Intercooler is now sitting in there nicely, but I'll probably still need to clearance the hood a little bit.

Also got my Driven steering wheel in. Wasn't planning on doing this till next year, but the race seat makes it damn neat impossible to get out of the car with the OEM wheel. Got it mounted, but no more pictures of the interior till it's done and cleaned up.

Have a bachelor party to attend all weekend, so no more work till Sunday. Then I just need to do make a few hoses, make sure everything is tightened down, and I'll be ready for start up checks once the turbo inlet restrictor comes in on Tuesday.

Pics:

#377 ·
Slow week, due to me being tired from last weekends festivities. I have my tune and alignment scheduled for the 30th at R/T, so I'm just trying to check things off my list so I can load the base map and get the car started and leak checked.

My first pass of the turbo inlet restrictor came in. Looks awesome, but the design needs to be tweaked. So I got another revision sent over to the machine shop, should have the next one here soon. Also got the fuel system 100% completed. All fuel lines are made, leak tested, and installed, along with the Walbro 450lph E85 pump. The pump install took waaaaaay longer than it should have, but that's what happens when there isn't a vehicle specific install kit. If anyone is installing one and wants some tips, let me know.

I should be checking more things off the list tonight, more updates to come!

#379 ·
Race cars have no need for a BPV! :D

Kidding. The Borg Warner EFR series turbo's actually have a BPV built into the compressor housing. It dumps the air right infront of the compressor wheel instead of through the turbo inlet. It's a pretty cool feature of these turbo's. I'll try and get a better picture of the compressor side tonight.

#380 ·
And the award for the most annoying part I've ever installed goes to....

Turn in Concepts shift linkage update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#382 ·
The lockout cable is that much of a PITA huh? I guess dealing with anything on top of the already cramped area would make this install waaay worse than this.

#384 ·
It's alllliiiivveee. Loaded my base map, fired it up. Just about ready for my tune and alignment tomorrow. Pics for now:

#386 ·
Thanks buddy :beerchug: Much appreciated!

The results are in! Note that this is with the turbo restricted down to 1.8", almost a half inch smaller in diameter than what the turbo actually is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.