STi build
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought an 04 STI and it blew up shortly after getting. I was mad at first but then realized ...

STi build

I bought an 04 STI and it blew up shortly after getting. I was mad at first but then realized that It needed a good rebuild. I bought wiesco pistons and manley rods, a new turbo and a few other things. The car already had some good mods done to it. I plan on alteast getting 450whp. I was wondering if getting a stage 2 or 3 cam would help me reach or go past this goal? and If I did would the subaru dealership be able to install that and heavy duty valve springs easily?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome... Sorry to hear about your engine failure... What kind of turbo and size of pistons did you buy? I personally would wait on purchasing parts till your block is torn down that way you'll know what your looking at...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I have a different block, Stock sized wiseco pistons and the turbo is an AMR T60-R

I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't be contracting Subaru for this task.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

your dealership is capable of installing the cams and valve springs but the labor rate will kill you. If you have a cherry picker and an engine stand it isnt all that hard to install them. A lisle or snap-on valve spring remover/installer takes minutes to redo your springs and keepers.

You are better off going with a tuner shop in your area that knows building Subarus for performance. Also...it would be in your best interest to discuss options/possibilities/preferences with whomever your tuner is. Many have specifics they like and tune better for certain parts.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I trust Subaru to do the valves and springs as well as the cams. They are all mechanics and have plenty of expierence. I plan on having the car tuned at Agile which is not to far away about 2 and a half hours. I think the cams should be good as long as agile knows about them during the tune.

We're just saying you might find cheaper labor which is more specific to performance upgrades...

I had my first STI tuned at Agile by Hill. He does great work.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by janderson13
    I trust Subaru to do the valves and springs as well as the cams. They are all mechanics and have plenty of expierence. I plan on having the car tuned at Agile which is not to far away about 2 and a half hours. I think the cams should be good as long as agile knows about them during the tune.
    Why not have Agile do the work so they will warranty it?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Why not have Agile do the work so they will warranty it?

That's a big advantage of having your tuning/mechanical work done in one place. If something goes wrong there's no one to pass the blame to. Where as if you have your machine work done one place, assembly done somewhere else, then have a third person tune the car.. the tuner blames the assembly, the assembler blames the tune/machine shop, the machine shop blames everyone else, and you get no where.

If you have the dealership build the engine, then someone else tunes it and the engine blows I can guarantee the dealership is going to blame the tune.. and likely the tuner is going to blame the dealership for improper assembly.

"Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar? I didn't do it..."
    Last edited by MainFrame; 10-28-2011 at 01:25 PM.

Well its worth a shot to atleast call agile and see what they say and if its cheaper then hey why not. I could have the engine built at agile and have subaru put it together.

I called agile and based on other invoices they said it would be around $3,500 to do the build and put the engine back into my car. That price also included the tune and they said that the price they gave me was probbly higher than what it would actually be.

That's actually a good price IMO
    278whp 286tq blouch 16g @ 17.5psi
    "My 02 wagon build" http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyd...gon-build.html
    Operation Iraqi Freedom x3
    WRX wagon MAFIA #68

Quote Originally Posted by 2002_wagon View Post
    That's actually a good price IMO
    +1
    Not bad at all...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Yeah in the end the exact estimate was 11,500 though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.