Subaru WRX Forum banner

Lokey's 2011 WRX (SWP Hatch)

108K views 595 replies 77 participants last post by  lokey 
#1 · (Edited)
SOLD.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

354 awhp ~ 404 ft-lbs
(@ 3800 rpms) on E85 ~ 23.7 psi max on VF52 ~ ProTuned by Agile Automotive (DynaPack Pro)

Engine/Transmission
Cobb Tuning Accessport V2 (003) - SOLD
Cobb Downpipe (catted) - SOLD
Cobb Cat-Back Exhaust - SOLD
Process West Top Mount Intercooler - SOLD
Cobb SF Intake w/ air box - SOLD
Grimmspeeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid - SOLD
Deatschwerks DW65C fuel pump - not selling
Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors - SOLD
Forge Bypass Valve (full recirculating) - SOLD
Omni Power 4 Bar Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor - SOLD
Grimmspeed Air Oil Separator - SOLD
Kartboy Aluminum Crank Pulley - not selling
Group N/STI Transmission Mount - SOLD
PTP Lava Turbo Blanket - SOLD
Whiteline Transmission Crossmember Bushings - not selling
Kartboy Pitch Stop Mount - SOLD
Cobb Double-Adjustable Short Throw Shifter - SOLD
Kartboy Front/Rear Shifter Stay Bushings - not selling
Whiteline Rear Differential Bushings - not selling
Cobb Turbo Heat Shield -

Suspension/Wheels
Work Meister S1Rs - 18x9, +40 offset, o-disk, deep concave (black anodized barrel, matte black spoke) on Cooper Zeon RS3-S 255/35/18. Retail price with tires was over $3800 - $2600 (local pick-up)

Kics Racing R26 Composite Lug Nuts (open)
- $80

Epic Lowering Springs - not selling
Koni Sport Adjustable Struts (yellows) - not selling
Eibach Sway Bars (25 Front/22 Rear) - pending
Kartboy Sway Bar Endlinks - pending
Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kit - not selling
Perrin Front Strut Tower Bar - SOLD
Cusco Front Member Power Brace - $150
Kartboy Rear Subframe Inserts - not selling

Interior/Exterior/Accessories
Bride Gias II Sport Seats (Reclining, FRP, Low Max, all authenticity paperwork) These seats retail for $1500 each + $220 each for Bride rails/sliders = $3440 + shipping - CLICK HERE TO SEE RETAIL) - $1900 (local pick-up)

Custom trimmed and shaved OEM front bumper with paint-matched grill surround
- $600

JDM STI RA Front Lip (not the USDM version,
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/41919) - $250
JDM STI V Liimited Side Skirts (https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/37484) - $450

AVO JDM Rear Underspoiler - not selling

SMY Gauge Cluster - SOLD
AEM UEGO Digital Boost, Air-Fuel Ratio, and Oil Pressure Gauges - SOLD
Cobb Shift Knob (white) - SOLD
Kartboy Shift Knob (white) - SOLD
JPM Coachworks Shift Boot, E-brake Boot, and Center Extended Armrest (black leather, red stitching) - SOLD
OEM Footwell Illumination (red) - not selling
Subtle Solutions Radiator Shroud and Alternator Cover (black) - SOLD
Perrin Shorty Antenna - SOLD
OEM All-weather Floor Mats - not selling
FastWRX Color-Changing LED Turn Signal Bulbs (w/ module) - SOLD
"Cool blue" LEDs (all interior, DRLs, fogs, reverse, plate) - SOLD
SPT Battery Tie Down - SOLD
Prova Yellow Wide-View Rearview & Door Mirrors - SOLD

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rim Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Hood

See less See more
#8 ·
I think the Cobb exhaust sounds awesome. It was a little bit louder than I expected, mostly because I also have the DP, and the muffler size is SO much smaller than stock. It only takes up half the room back there. As far as preference, as others have said, you really have to listen to each in person to know what you like. Youtube vids help, but can also be a bit deceiving beacuse of all the variables.

The wrx side emblem painting was pretty simple. You just have to take your time. Take the whole fender piece off; tape off painted areas slowly and carefully; clean emblem with mineral oil; in a wind-, dust-, and debris-free area, spray duplicolor black (2 light coats) and 1 clear coat; wait a few hours, remove tape, and put it back on.

#7 ·
#10 · (Edited)
Beautiful.

Exactly the setup I'm looking to get for the extra gauges.

And I love the baby seat.Looks a lot better than mine.Amazon.com: Safety 1st Complete Air 65 Protect Convertible Car Seat, Marshall: Baby I was thinking of getting a new one anyway,so might as well get the one you have.

Thanks, Tony. Yeah, loving the SMY cluster. Warning: The digital gauges can be distracting at night....and make you a bit dizzy if you stare at them for too long.

...I get more comments and compliments on that baby seat than anything! lol

#17 · (Edited)
Overall, I like them. To be honest, they make me feel a little bit 'vlunerable' when driving DC and Maryland's crappy roads, being that I'm on stock struts. Other than that, I love the improved handling and stance.

#20 ·
lokey said:
UPDATE:
Process West TMIC and Grimmspeed EBCS installed. Protuned yesterday by Hill at Agile. See post #1...
Share the dyno plot (not just peak values). Until then, your posting privileges have been revoked :D

#23 ·
Very nice car all-around. Well done! Two things:

What octane were you running for that dyno? 91 or 93?

And I see a Cobb intake box in a pic but not listed in your mod list. But that pic doesn't have the bov...was just wondering if you ditched the intake or just overlooked listing it in the first post.

#25 · (Edited)
Very nice car all-around. Well done! Two things:

What octane were you running for that dyno? 91 or 93?

And I see a Cobb intake box in a pic but not listed in your mod list. But that pic doesn't have the bov...was just wondering if you ditched the intake or just overlooked listing it in the first post.
93 octane.

Good catch; added Cobb SFI.

As for the BOV, there's a story behind all that. After I installed the PW TMIC, the Turbosmart BOV was too tall and prevented the hood from closing. I therefore had to temporarily put the stocker back on after the protune was done....just until my Forge one comes in. Speaking of, anyone want to buy an almost new Turbosmart Dual Port BOV? I'll be posting it FS later this week or next.

#27 ·
How does the car feel now? I would like to hear your honest thoughts before I go the same route. After e-mailing Hill I was told to use the Forge Motorsports blow off valve with the Process West tmic. That must be the reasoning behind it. Also said to stay with the stock intake. Did you discuss anything on that topic with him?

#30 ·
It feels great, and I can defintely feel the difference, mainly in the smoothness/consistency of the acceleration. However, until my new BOV comes in, I have have to try to keep the boost tame. I therefore can't really tell you how much different it feels through the whole power band at wide open throttle. As for the intake, he had nothing but good things to say about the Cobb SFI+box design. We had a long discussion about the setup in relation to where the majority of the engine bay heat is and where the most cool air comes in. Though not really needed at this power level, Hill felt that their design made the most sense.

#28 ·
lokey said:
We talked about that valley in there. Hill wants me to do some full throttle data logging in 3rd after my new BOV is installed. Then we'll revisit that little dip. I will ask for a copy of the boost plot and post that up, too.

Considering my mods and tune, does the graph look good to you otherwise? Due to the poor quality of my work scanner, you can't really see the "before" lines. I made some pretty substantial gains in both by taking the boost up to 20.5 - 38 hp (peak), don't remember the tq gains off the top of my head.
Every dyno reads differently. I'm not that familiar with Agile's dyno (other than the fact it's a Dynapack), so I'm not sure how to interpret the #s. Without a before/after comparison, it's also difficult to interpret (area under the curve difference). That said, ~40whp peak gains seems about on par with StageII+Intake/TMIC.

The only thing I don't like about the plot is the dip I mentioned, but it sounds like it will be addressed at a later date.

#31 ·
The 'before' lines are actually on that crappy scan. The lines are just too thin and light for this POS scanner to pick up. I should have the electronic file posted by Monday...

#33 ·
lokey said:
The 'before' lines are actually on that crappy scan. The lines are just too thin and light for this POS scanner to pick up. I should have the electronic file posted by Monday...
Once you get done with any touch-ups, post up a 3rd gear log with just RPM/Boost logged

#35 ·
Just an update: So my Forge BPV came in and got installed the other day. Now that I can safely do some WOT pulls, I'll try to get some data logging done tomorrow or over the weekend.

As for the boost plot and dip in the 3800-4400 RPM range, here's a bit from an email I got from Agile yesterday:

"Unfortunately the MAP sensor (boost) on the dyno is broken so I don’t have a boost graph from the dyno, but Hill has been using the Cobb software to log boost while he’s tuning. He said you could do a pull while datalogging with the AP and then use Excel to graph it pretty easily. He said you should be tuned to around 20.5psi. And he said that the dip in the graph is most likely a flow dynamics issue. He sees it on most of the new model WRX’s and his guess is it’s something with the intake manifold design (but no hard proof to confirm that)."

View attachment 100424

#36 ·
Now that you had the chance to run the car hard do you feel it was worth the money over just Cobb stage 2?
Also, did you install 1 step colder plugs? Hill told me it's not required but more of a safety factor.

I'm still on the fence about placing my order for a Process West tmic, Perrin EBCS, Forge Motorsports bov, and heading to Agile for a protune.

#37 ·
Definitely. In my opinion, it just pays to have the protune, if nothing else. Aside from the serious boost in hp an tq across the entire power band, the elimination of knock (which I was unaware of) and smoothing out those little fluctuations in the curves made it worth it. I'm not saying that Cobb's OTS tune is bad, it's just not made specifically for your car, and therefore should be tweeked. I can feeel the difference even when driving normally, especially in the smoothness of the initial acceleration. My wife even said "the car feels less jerky."

As for spirited driving, oh yes, I can definitely feel (and hear) it. Take a look at the steepness of the torque line. 320+ ft/lbs of torque at 3500 RPMs is really nice! :eek: I'm still getting used to hearing that compressor surge sound, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.