When ocd meets opportunity ..... The 91 Legacy ss project - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on When ocd meets opportunity ..... The 91 Legacy ss project within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 Those are awesome. They hold the car up at the pinch welds like regular stands? I ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Those are awesome. They hold the car up at the pinch welds like regular stands?

I like that they have a wider base.
    These stands require a special mount welded into the shell of the car, it would not work without those, I think I have them pictured in this thread. The stands are also very expensive £ 1,195 from England. Its all part of the design and concept I had floating around in my mind for this car so I had to have them :-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
    I suspect a lot of people are watching this build (like me) and don't want to mess it up with 10,000 posts. We just sit back, watch and admire your patience, skill and resolve to do the job correctly.
    Keep up the great work!
    Stink-Eye Mob #667

2011 WRX Limited (Joan)
    2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Thor)
    1965 Chevrolet Impala (Clara)

Intro Thread- PICS

I know it has been a while since I have posted anything regarding my build and it's because I have been very busy with the race and test schedule this year and also got into fitting a supercharger to an 03 Corvette and the kit was a disaster so I have had very little time to work on the Legacy.
    I did have time to fit a Walbro 255 LPH in tank fuel pump, I did not follow the instructions as I did not like the way they wanted to mount the pump, I modified the base mount which was rubber and I was able to fit it just as the factory had with the original.
    This pump will easily support the 350 hp that I hope to make from this engine

this is the original pump next to the new pump to be fitted

The instructions called to wrap the body of the pump in supplied foam and tywrap to the mount

I modified rubber base mount to fit as the factory pump was

the finished pump install just as the original pump was mounted

I Support ClubWRX
    this thread just blew my mind

Today I was able to assemble the new STI Knuckle/Hub assembly which are the early 5X100 Press in Bearings which match the 2001 Subaru Impreza RA trans and Half Shafts and CV joints that I have. I also masked and repainted the Knuckles as the original paint is a thin coat from the factory.

I will not have ABS so I will make Aluminum plugs and press into the Bores where the sensor would be.
    I have all new parking brake assembly's and hardware, unfortunately I was not able to finish the rear knuckles as the dealer only sent two bolts for the backing plates, I will get them and finish Assembling them soon.

I think you should post pics of the Vette with Supercharger as well
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I think you should post pics of the Vette with Supercharger as well
    Here it is, like I say it is not a nice kit, it looks ok when it's together but it's not that nice

I was faced with a decision regarding what to do with the nuts and bolts and all the original steel parts on the Legacy, I had bought a lot of new bolts for the struts and suspension and backing plates and they were all zinc plated (silver) and all the original were the green color which I was not able to confirm what process it was so I went with the silver, and actually two different processes depending on where the parts were being used. I also processed a lot of the hardware in gold As it wasoriginally.

I also made the decision to go with STI front lower control arms and steering rack and Inow have those parts at the shop. I will buy the Ohlins struts this week also.

The Ohlins dampers are now ordered and paid for, It will be great to see the four corners in place soon. After I get back from the 12 hours of Sebring I will be spending some time on the car again. I have been away so much this year as Daytona is an early start to the race season.
    We finished fifth.

The Muscle Milk Pickett racing car that I am workingonagain this season

Holymotherofgod.

I love this thread and will be reading your other one. When I see stuff like this it makes me realize that I am a mere peasant and could only wish to have the time/ability/money to take on a project like this, much less complete it.

I want the material life you have.
    Team Bad Luck Scooby

Quote Originally Posted by Piratemosh666 View Post
    Holymotherofgod.

I love this thread and will be reading your other one. When I see stuff like this it makes me realize that I am a mere peasant and could only wish to have the time/ability/money to take on a project like this, much less complete it.

I want the material life you have.
    It would look like it's all been easy from the way it's presented on the forum, but believe me I come from a very modest back ground, I'm not from a wealthy family and It could easily be said that I had a difficult start to my career but I have always been determined to do my best and worked extremely hard at it and in fact I still work a huge amount of hours every week. The fact is that it's been lots of hours working and a lot of experience gained over the years as well as being around good skilled people during my career, and being driven by the feeling I have that whatever I do, it is not quite good enough ( a little OCD ) and this is the result. It has never been easy as such, just a lot of hard work and determination, that's the secret. You could get there too, it takes time and a lot of effort :-)
    Thanks for following my build
    Last edited by 22B05STI; 02-25-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Today I assembled the rear parking brakes to the STI Knuckles and started working on the steering rack fitment to the sub frame. I also have the wiper motor installded which is a new unit but obselete part from dealership. I was fortunate to find this on EBay with just one small scratch on it but otherwise in perfect condition

I have had a lot going with the Legacy project The Ohlins coil over struts have arrived and I have been searching for a top strut mount to use as these are for an 05 STI and I knew I would need to find a good alternative and I think that I will be using Cusco adjustable camber top Mounts. The big surprise was the Clevis had changed between 04 and 05 STI with the change from 5x100 to 5x114 in USDM Impreza's. So I am going to make inserts and re drill the Clevis on the Struts.
    I also finally got the Intercooler pump together, I was waiting for the metric O rings and the plated parts made this 20 year old pump look like new, which is great as these are really expensive. Unfortunately it looks like I am missing a bracket to mount the pump.
    I also pressed apart the Steering Knuckle as I need to fit the Legacy steering colum joint to the STI assembly which I bought new with the rack. I will post pictures of that soon.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was meaning to ask. Heard the Muscle Milk team isn't competing this year? Or you guys are skipping races?

Sent from my HTC One
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I was meaning to ask. Heard the Muscle Milk team isn't competing this year? Or you guys are skipping races?

Sent from my HTC One
    We are skipping Long beach and Laguna, there are a few issues with the car that have been causing problems during the races and testing so those are being removed from the car and hopefully the car will be much better from here. Unfortunately I can't discuss specifics but the change is going to allow us to focus on car set up rather than trying to fix the issues with this system so it will be better for us and the drivers.