My 2011 Stage 2 Update - Page 13
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on My 2011 Stage 2 Update within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by T0rque What is the size and offset of your wheels tires and what are your camber specs? ...

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    What is the size and offset of your wheels tires and what are your camber specs?
    Work Emotion 11R 18x9.5 +38
    265/35 Michelin PSS
    -2.8 camber with 0 toe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good, dude!
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob | KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | 24mm Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear | Kartboy Front & Rear Endlinks | Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you roll the fenders or anything with that setup? Did you want to go that big of a negative number on camber?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Did you roll the fenders or anything with that setup? Did you want to go that big of a negative number on camber?
    I had to roll the rears. Fronts clear everything fine.

The camber was my setup for track/DD duties. The PSS's are showing no camber wear at all. Apparently, they changed the belt design on the new PSS's to accomodate for larger camber numbers. My guess would be because these tires are standard OE issue on many Porsche's and BMW's that come with at least a good amount of rear camber from the factory.

For 2011, Subaru increased the camber to -1 at all four corners for the WRX/STI platform (it might have already been that on the STI but I know the increase was on the WRX due to the widebody). For that reason, the car takes very well to camber as long as you are not going hellflush and taking tread off the ground. For me, camber has absolutely nothing to do with fitment. It is all about how the car corners and rides...

^^ Lookin great
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

I read all 13 pages and i loved your build. I just have one question how hard is it to change the intake manifold from the plastic wrx to the sti? Also what else is needed for that swap?

I Support ClubWRX
    excellent

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by chinky_wrx View Post
    I read all 13 pages and i loved your build. I just have one question how hard is it to change the intake manifold from the plastic wrx to the sti? Also what else is needed for that swap?
    It is a PITA. I wouldn't recommend doing it. The WRX manifold actually stays cooler and flows better anyway.

I finally got all of the parts of my rig setup in. This was just a test in my neighborhood pool's parking lot. Came out pretty good for a first run at it!

Rig Shot Test by rsutton198, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by rsutton1223 View Post
    I finally got all of the parts of my rig setup in. This was just a test in my neighborhood pool's parking lot. Came out pretty good for a first run at it!

Rig Shot Test by rsutton198, on Flickr
    Who's got 2 thumbs and is super Jelly....?
    This guy....
    Amazing!

It is a PITA. I wouldn't recommend doing it. The WRX manifold actually stays cooler and flows better anyway.
    Ok cool thanks cor the advice

Yeah definitely stick with your existing manifold.

Work Emotion 11R 18x9.5 +38
    265/35 Michelin PSS
    -2.8 camber with 0 toe
    In general most performance cars use the PS2 and not the Super Sport, which has a harder tread compound and less grip. But still an excellent tire! Why did you go up to the wider rims and tires though? That adds a lot of unsprung weight without really giving you any performance benefits over an 8.5" rim and 245 tires, plus the tires cost a good bit more.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    In general most performance cars use the PS2 and not the Super Sport, which has a harder tread compound and less grip. But still an excellent tire! Why did you go up to the wider rims and tires though? That adds a lot of unsprung weight without really giving you any performance benefits over an 8.5" rim and 245 tires, plus the tires cost a good bit more.
    The PSS's can handle track days and DD duties. My previous tires (Hankook V12's) were toast after one track day while the PSS's still looked almost new and ran faster lap times. With a 30k mile tread warranty, they are the perfect balance between street and track on a performance and cost per mile basis. That's also why a lot of cars like the TopSpeed One Lap GT-R car run them.

In stock form...the argument over 245 vs. 265 might hold true. With the power to back it up, increased tread width equals more grip that has equaled faster lap times in my car and my current setup was not that much heavier than stock.

The PSS's can handle track days and DD duties. My previous tires (Hankook V12's) were toast after one track day while the PSS's still looked almost new and ran faster lap times. With a 30k mile tread warranty, they are the perfect balance between street and track on a performance and cost per mile basis. That's also why a lot of cars like the TopSpeed One Lap GT-R car run them.

In stock form...the argument over 245 vs. 265 might hold true. With the power to back it up, increased tread width equals more grip that has equaled faster lap times in my car and my current setup was not that much heavier than stock.
    Have you tracked with the PSS yet? I'm curious how they do since I spend a lot of time at the track and tires is the biggest expense.

I looked up the weight on those and they're 23.2 pounds. That's pretty good for a 18x9.5! Between that and the increased tire size you probably added about 4 pounds to each corner, which isn't bad. A lot of wheels in this size are over 25 and to me that's adding to much weight. How much did you get the wheels for?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Have you tracked with the PSS yet? I'm curious how they do since I spend a lot of time at the track and tires is the biggest expense.

I looked up the weight on those and they're 23.2 pounds. That's pretty good for a 18x9.5! Between that and the increased tire size you probably added about 4 pounds to each corner, which isn't bad. A lot of wheels in this size are over 25 and to me that's adding to much weight. How much did you get the wheels for?
    I did. This is my left front from Roebling which gets hammered there.

I think I remember getting them for around 1,800. I'd have to look it up.