Subaru WRX Forum banner

Twistedphrame's almost a real boy now!(build thread)

5K views 44 replies 12 participants last post by  Mikie13 
#1 · (Edited)
So finally started actually doing stuff to the car and I figured I might as well make as spot to post picks and updates.

Unfortunately I really don't have the money to pay off the car AND do cool stuff to it so This will be slow moving, but probably lots of pics on and off.

My first mod: Perrin 3" cbe (after a 6 week back order wait it finally came).
A friend of my father's has a limo and has his own lift so we got to use that. Everything went real well. The only problem is the driver side tip is dead center where it should be and the passenger side is too far to the outside. Tried fixing it twice and continue to suck at doing so.... :shakehead:

Also finally partially de-badged my trunk.
I went for a "I'm really bored and don't want to wash the car photo shoot"
I brought along my (unnecessary) lighting gear. haven't quite figured out the best way to set it up just yet.

An in between setup shot.

Engine/Exhaust:
Perrin CBE

Suspension:
Whiteline 24/22 mm adj F/R sway bars
Kartboy endlinks.

See less See more
#4 ·
Right...

Exterior:
GrillCraft Scoop Grill/lower grill (my intercooler has been getting hit pretty hard)

Suspension:
Perrin 25mm front adjustable 22mm rear adjustable sways and endlinks
Full compliment of bushing starting with shifter, steering rack, cross-member bushings and Group N trans Mount.
Possibly some stiffer lower springs, I'm currently worried about bottoming out though.
New Break system - larger rotors, calipers, ss break lines

Engine/Power:
CAI and a stage one tune (I know, just a noise maker at that point)
Invidia catted dp (Once it's no longer my dd)

Unfortunately this is my only car so I can't really have it put up for an extended amount of time. Order things are probably going to happen is grills some time soon since my intercooler has been beaten so god awful bad, sways and endlinks. the first bushings.

Nothing too fancy but I can't really afford to be.

#9 ·
for your exhaust being out of alignment, try these two things:

1. loosen the connections between the mid and Y-pipes, and to the two mufflers. kinda twist the Y-pipe and adjust the mufflers so they are perfect, then tighten while holding.

2. if you notice this still not working, i bought a couple simple clamps from home depot that clamp onto the metal hangers and keep them from sliding and re-adjusting.

mine were doing the same thing, wasnt too difficult to align

#13 ·
I like the yellow stripe on your wheels. Its subtle, but different.

#15 ·
Thanks, I like the fact that the likely hood of another white stinkeye sedan having something similar is extremely small.

First: Putting a grill in your scoop will impede air flow to your IC. Bent fins and little dings won't hurt your IC, but limiting its airflow will diminish its ability to effectively cool the charge, though as small as it may be. I read somewhere that a flow test actually showed a grill can impede airflow as much as 25-30%...that personally isn't something I'd want to do.
Didn't think about that at all, of course thinking about it still surprises me that it'll affect the air flow so much. I'll definitely have to reconsider it. Maybe I'll be transferring funds from that into a new snake terrarium haha.

Personally, a little more power added is actually a bit more beneficial: smoother power delivery and overall power band for daily driving.
Isn't it closer to "a lot more power" compared to stock than "a little more power" though?

#17 ·
Looking good =).

Being in a similar boat with money, I'd start with some bushings. It not only teaches you about your car mechanically, the result/$ is amazing. A $20-$30 bushing makes a huge difference in driveability (for the better of course). I'd strongly recommend checking out some rear subframe bushings and rear diff inserts at least.

Tactrix cables aren't a bad buy. I had an excellent experience 'eTuning' mine with Mikey over on nasioc. I'm extremely pleased with the results. I'm holding off on a down pipe for a bit - I'd like to get a couple gauges and a WB02 first.

#22 ·
Well I've been slacking off coming around here. But thanks to Irene I spent a morning in my parents basement under the car and finally fixed my exhaust. It's no longer all cockeyed and what not. I'm considering getting myself some sways and endlinks as a bday/christmas present I know I want 25/24mm(perrin vs whiteline) front adjustables and 22mm rears but I'm not too sure about what endlinks to get. I know whiteline and perrin both have their own but to be perfectly honest I don't really know the difference between any of the brands.

#25 ·
So I moved last month to a new apartment and as part of the promotion I don't have to pay rent for October. That meant that until this morning, I had about 1500 I could spend on things and still break even (rent + what's normally left after food and a tank and a half of gas) so what awesome mind blowing set of mods do I recklessly spend it on? How much time am I going to get to spend installing parts? 0 on both counts. What do I do with it? I squander it by putting it all into my car loan. I hate being overly responsible, I'm far to young for that. *face-palm* :shakehead:

#28 ·
I've been scouring the internet for a good explanation of the differences between straight and curved endlinks. I've managed to find the difference between curved and straight watch endlinks, as it turns out ones curved... As for car endlinks I'm not really coming up with too much. I think I've found that it has to do with clearances with various things under the car. I also went into under the assumption that the curved endlinks would be stronger. Can any one explain the difference to me?

Thanks,
~Jordan.

#30 ·
Cute car!! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.