Rawr... My 2011 STi Build Log - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rawr... My 2011 STi Build Log within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by maus I was told by Phatron that only STIs suffer from this, got ahead of myself I ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus
    I was told by Phatron that only STIs suffer from this, got ahead of myself I guess -_-
    When I met up with mango in the fall, his 2010 wrx suffered from it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Yah its, weird I have never noticed it nor has any of the other local wrx's or sti's down by me.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Yah its, weird I have never noticed it nor has any of the other local wrx's or sti's down by me.
    Mine was/is highly weather dependent. The map changes radically from season to season. The stock load compensation table may be working out for your combination. I hate that load compensation table though, it bugs me. Makes your ignition advance go all over the place for a pull.

I noticed mine mostly due to closed loop MAF calibrations never quite honing in. Also, when I locked my car in open loop it was much more noticeable (Short term fuel trims will help smooth it out). If you do a pull uphill around 20-50% throttle you'll probably see it if its an issue... Your fuel trims will be all over the place throughout the pull if so.

The fuel line mod is a piece of cake if it starts coming up. Just get decent fuel line clamps (the ones at napa sucked) and I think it was 3 feet of 5/8" ID fuel line. Pop off the stock easy connect fitting with the ends of two zip ties shoved up there and put the new line on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Alright guys... Planning the next round of stuff. Looking for any input as I'm venturing a bit past my "comfort envelope" on this one.

In a nutshell, I'm looking to do everything I can while the intake manifold is off. So far I'm at the following:
    • TGV Deletes
    • PnP Throttle Body & Intake Manifold (Possibly)
    • KS Tech Phenolic Spacers - 3mm
    • Air Pump Delete (KS Tech Plates)
    • Aeromotive Fuel Rails
    • Hard Inlet (AP Racing, I knowww)
    • Anything Else?

TGV Deletes:
    I have the KS Tech block off plates for these. I think combined with my IR burr grinder bits (Thank you Ingersoll Rand closeout deals) and my harbor freight die grinder, I think this should be fairly straightforward once I get them out. I kinda want to get my HF metal saw working before doing this, but I'm not sure if that will happen or not. I may also spray these down with ceramic spray paint while I am down there.

PnP Throttle Body & Intake Manifold:
    This will depend on the success of everything else. It may just come down to whether or not I have time to do this.

Fuel Rails:
    I am looking for a bit of input on these... Or at least a confirmation.

My intended setup (until I get a FPR):

I have found that the Aeromotive rails use an -8 sized ORB (o-ring boss) type fitting on them. The banjo bolts that aeromotive sells for them are about $40-60/PER FITTING!!! On the other hand, ORB fittings are commonly used in industries that use a JIC specification fitting in place of an AN spec fitting. The fittings are compatible (under these pressure levels) as long as you get the correct flare (37 degrees). The 90 degree fittings I found ran about $4 each. I gave it some thought, and balanced it against the price, but I think I am sticking with barbed fittings & oetiker clamps instead of the fancy reusable AN type hose connections. For the fuel line itself, I found that frozenboost now sells it's own fuel line that is PTFE (untrademarked teflon) lined and doesn't look like a smurf that made love to a cardinal.

Hard Inlet:
    I'm scared of this guy. I am expecting nothing to line up and to have to reroute many (non-reroutable) lines. It's a cheap off-brand, AP Racing, and even the higher quality brands seem to be a PITA to install. I think I may find some nice ceramic spray paint of sorts and hit this with it first... or possibly even use some of my left over DEI titanium wrap on it.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

hehe...you said "hard inlet."
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    hehe...you said "hard inlet."
    Hey... not only is it hard... but it's very difficult to get inserted correctly. Tough fit fo sho'!
    2011 STi Build Log

Wouldnt it be better to hit the inlet with reflective tape compared to wrap? Wouldn't wrap contain the heat?
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Wouldnt it be better to hit the inlet with reflective tape compared to wrap? Wouldn't wrap contain the heat?
    Probably. I was thinking that they were both heat insulators... but I probably do want a reflector and not an insulator. I wonder if I have any of my gold, reflective DEI tape left. Good call, although it'll look like shiny ricer balls.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Probably. I was thinking that they were both heat insulators... but I probably do want a reflector and not an insulator. I wonder if I have any of my gold, reflective DEI tape left. Good call, although it'll look like shiny ricer balls.
    I need to reflective tape my IC, and my new intake. I don't think I would reflect the inlet as that would be too much of a pita.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Hey... not only is it hard... but it's very difficult to get inserted correctly. Tough fit fo sho'!
    It was a funny angle!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    It was a funny angle!
    Tyrone, when you reverse, things come from behind!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Install is complete. I'll post up some pictures of it later. I stopped taking pictures after day two or three in isolation. Long story short, it's done. Car feels pretty strong now even without the tuning.

Tuning process started. I opened up closed loop correction so I could drive on it easily. As you can see, it needs some work:

That is a 'pivot graph' of my A/F Correction (Short Term Fuel Trim / STFT / AFC) added to my A/F Learning (Long Term Fuel Trim / LTFT / AFL) over the MAF(V) range of my car, over the course of my 30 minute drive to work this morning. It's sorted into the various learning ranges, A/B/C/D. The spreadsheet wasn't too bad to make, and I can help out if anybody wants. It basically does a bucket sort with a VLOOKUP command (makes the pivot chart useful), then plots it in a pivot table (which can be a pain to figure out, at least for myself).

What to take from the graph:
    • This is why closed loop scaling doesn't work well all the time - your AFL ranges may encompass both a peak and valley (as does my D range). You should move your AFL ranges around time to time.
    • I need to adjust my MAF across the voltage range, ideally by what is shown in this graph. I need to remember the math for this.
    • If used correctly, pivot charts are actually useful
    • My car is moving again =)
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Update:

Did some more cruising around. Fuel fittings appear to be holding without any leaks. Tune is still a work in progress.

Apparently my car isn't entering closed loop much at all... So since it wasn't applying any A/F correction, I just did an open loop scaling. This differs from the closed loop above mainly due to my source of data. In closed loop, I use the corrections the car has applied (using the stock o2 sensor) and calculate my MAF changes from there. In open loop scaling (with no a/f corrections) I just take my cars 'target fueling' (Final Fueling Base) and compare it to my wbo2 readings over a long drive. Same idea. Different spreadsheet.

Low boost pulls to come!
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Also... so far so good on the stumble!!!

2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Moar tuning!

Started some low boost pulls (intelligent mode is aiming for 14.7psi relative). No detonation or anything.

Fueling needs work. Apparently my rails are doing their job and looks like they should keep me covered without having to upgrade injectors for a while:

Boost.... well... rough as expected. This was after a 30% Initial WGDC cut across the board. The turbo likes the recent round of mods, apparently:

(Note: This is in psi absolute... not relative!)

and the WGDC & corrections to go along with it:
    2011 STi Build Log

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast