Rawr... My 2011 STi Build Log - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rawr... My 2011 STi Build Log within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Track Day Prep (1/2) - Rear Engine Bay Venting I saw a thread over on another forum talking about opening ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Track Day Prep (1/2) - Rear Engine Bay Venting

I saw a thread over on another forum talking about opening up the rear engine vents - the ones in between the front tires and the front doors.

Reasoning:
    -Under hood pressure causes both the radiator and TMIC to loose air flow. Our car has big 'innies' and not so many 'outies'.
    -They are in one of the few generally accepted low pressure areas around the hood. The windshield area is a hot topic.
    -While the pressure differential will be about the same, these should allow for better flow given the same pressure differential.
    -Cheap, easy, and non-intrusive. Little chance for something to go wrong.
    -My car kinda felt like a fat kid running a mile at the first track day by the end of each session. I figured anything I can do on that end will help.

Procedure:
    -Pop off fender vents
    -Drill holes
    -File down rough edges
    -Tape off surroundings, apply some primer and touch up paint
    -Dig up metal disks from side skirts
    -Put back together

Crappy picture. Pre-filing. Crappy hole saw as well. Still worked.

For the second half of the track day prep, I plan on replacing ~50% of my coolant mixture with distilled water as per a suggestion by Crawford and some other track guys. They lean towards more of an 80/20 water/coolant mixture to help with heat transfer (circulates faster to my understanding). I will have to be careful to add coolant towards winter. I will also sand down the surface of my race pads and make sure they are smooth and good to go. Will open up each caliper for a second just to make sure there is no air in there as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Track Day #2

Well, I skipped posting the prep 2/2 - Basically just threw the DS2500 pads back on and got them bedded in.

Track day was a blast as expected. I improved a lot, and everything felt much more 'fluid'.

Some notes:
    -Picked up some knock events every session. They were all medium/high load (Bad!), inaudible in the car, and after about 10 minutes into the session. Considering my engine temps were okay, I am assuming the top mount just doesn't cut it when you are at speed and under boost for a long period of time. I could feel the car get weaker after a few laps each time. Frustrating, and hoping I didn't kill my engine. Picking up a few knock events in low/mid range now daily driving, which I had cleared up before hand. Will keep an eye on it. Possible investigation to follow
    -Brakes held up fairly well. The bleeder screw on the front calipers was oozing on both sides after each session - common problem with the Brembos apparently. Pedal held firm at least. If I get any better tires, they will need upgraded sadly.
    -Tires did well again. Pressure rose from 35psi on all four to around 45psi after the session, so I let a few psi out.
    -I wore my boxing shoes figuring they would help with pedal feel. In turn, I actually lost all ability to heal/toe. Fail. Oh well.
    -Overall, the car did fantastic. Lotta people were extremely surprised by it. Felt pretty good to keep up with most of the cars on that track. The GT3Rs was an exception. I saw its (sexy) tail pipes several times. Also the lotus exige was pretty darn fast.

Good stuff. Now I just gotta get those pads back off and have a nice cigar.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Invidia Equal Length Race Exhaust Manifold

Yup. I went there. Glad I did as well. Most of the time spent was due to heat wrapping the thing. I would have had it sprayed, but it was much more expensive than planned. Instead I used 2x50'x1" rolls of DEI titanium wrap. I think the 2" thick stuff would have been nearly impossible to get around the pipe bends.. but the 1" was annoyingly thin. Still.. it's no work of art, but should work.

Of note, is that Bo suggested getting some CV boot clamps and using those in place of worm clamps or stainless steel zip ties. I'm glad he did. I ordered both the tool and clamps made by Moose. I couldn't find ones long enough to give me two passes around the pipe, but one pass should work - there's not that much torque on them.

On to pictures of wrapping!

Tools:

Start - take note of the can to get an idea of the size. Much smaller than I expected:

Close up of a clamp:

Getting going:

First 50' roll down:

Collector (Couldn't find a good way to secure the wrap though sadly):

And done:

I also took and put some dawn soap down them and rinsed them out with a hose. There was a good bit of welding grime in them. For anything post turbo - no big deal. I didn't want that stuff hitting my turbine at 100krpm+. A water droplet can be similar to a bullet to a fast moving turbine.

Install... Well... it should have been easy. Unless you are stupid and don't wear gloves when you remove the o2 sensor. Let it be said - I despise heat shields. Luckily, I had a friend over who finished up the install - mainly so he could hear the final result, haha. Please... Get yourself a set of gloves if you don't have them. You don't need to wear them all the time, but please do when breaking bolts loose.

Right through the nail - Was lucky and it could have been way worse:

Other note worthy topic - noisy strut is still noisy and greasy:

Final result... Wow. I couldn't believe how smooth my car felt when we fired it up. Sounded better than expected as well - more like a Porsche than a weed whacker. Still had a nice mean clear rumble/pop to it. The thing pulls so much nicer and smoother than it did. Even my EWG dumps nicer instead of sounding a lot like a pod racer.

I'm still getting it tuned in. It did wonders in the spool up region, and is requiring a bit more tweaking than planned.

All in all, one of my favorite mods actually. Very happy.
    2011 STi Build Log

I want more!
    Hope to one day be the owner of a WRX!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DSfriscoe View Post
    I want more!
    Got some other projects up my sleeve for the mean time.

Strut update:
    After a suggestion from a great vendor, he told me to check that the bottom of my strut lined up with the 'keyhole' on the strut knuckle. He said that he has had the exact same symptoms, and lining that up resolved them. I put a lock washer on that strut since the keyhole was pretty banged up - it appears to be holding well. I may back it off and put a 'higher torque' lock washer in it. It's great to have a quiet strut again though.

Also, I noticed the alignment shop screwed up my camber bolts pretty bad - which would explain the lack of serious camber. Maxed 'em out and waiting to go get an alignment shortly.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Posted up my 4 UOAs I've gotten over time. We'll see what happens at 25k.

See Post Here
    2011 STi Build Log

Let's Go Eagles!! Beat those Steelers!

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Rawr... My 2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Let's Go Eagles!! Beat those Steelers!
    I didn't even get to watch the game. Was catching up at work. Brought my laptop outside and had a nice cigar at least.

Have some goodies going on shortly. Ptp turbo blanket, some dei reflect a gold tape, and an 05 sti clutch slave cylinder with a stainless line.

Long term wise I have an ap hard inlet, 3mm phenolic spacers, and kns block off plates for both the air pump and tgvs. I am debating doing some pnp work and trying to source the composite tic tgvs and selling mine with block off plates. Also in consideration while the manifold is off would be rails and fuel system fixes. This is in direct competition with the house down payment lol.
    2011 STi Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I didn't even get to watch the game.
    If you had seen any of the previous Eagles games, you'd know exactly what happened. Except this time the Eagles didn't luck themselves into a win, your Steelers managed the clock well and took away the W.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264
    Long term wise I have an ap hard inlet, 3mm phenolic spacers, and kns block off plates for both the air pump and tgvs. I am debating doing some pnp work and trying to source the composite tic tgvs and selling mine with block off plates. Also in consideration while the manifold is off would be rails and fuel system fixes. This is in direct competition with the house down payment lol.
    AP is the house brand of Vivid Racing, a vendor who's been banned from every major Subaru forum for a reason. I would never put one of their parts on my car, and if I was forced to, I would never admit it.

As for the PnP, I wouldn't bother. You already have a proper header, so the manifold elbows aren't a concern.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hey man, do you have any video of your car? (Exhaust)
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    AP is the house brand of Vivid Racing, a vendor who's been banned from every major Subaru forum for a reason. I would never put one of their parts on my car, and if I was forced to, I would never admit it.

As for the PnP, I wouldn't bother. You already have a proper header, so the manifold elbows aren't a concern.
    I am pretty scared of the hard inlet install. I snagged that part while confusing it for a higher quality part. It seems like none if the hard inlets available are decent fits. The more I think about it the more I may just say screw the inlet for now.

Thanks for the PnP opinion. Saves some money or time at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny1106 View Post
    Hey man, do you have any video of your car? (Exhaust)
    None that would do it justice by a long shot. My mic on my phone is awful and I don't feel any mics or speakers can represent an exhaust personally.

If you are by Pittsburgh sometime give me a hollar though.
    2011 STi Build Log

Do some science with the Turbo blanket to tell me how amazing it is or isn't.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Do some science with the Turbo blanket to tell me how amazing it is or isn't.
    I don't have my controller working yet.. So not gonna get any measurements of that right now. Maybe down the road I will take it off and measure the changes.

Should have some time to get that stuff on this week. On night shift though and long hours. Will see.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    PTP Turbo Blanket, Clutch "Delay Delete", Stupid Heat Shield Removed, Winter Wheels, & 'Upgraded' Wheel Stud

Got the turbo blanket on. Seems like a nice piece. The wire took a bit of fishing, but install was easy. I also used some DEI gold tape over the inside of the heat shield while it was off. Got the heat shield wedged over top of it. Not even sure that you really need the safety wire with it at first glance.

I took some time and got an 05 clutch slave cylinder. My clutch has a terrible feel (ask Bruce about it) and I figured this would help out. It basically consisted of taking out a small ferule/restrictor pill inside the 05 slave cylinder assembly. They have since replaced it with a one piece one that is not as easily 'fixed'. Result - more predictable clutch engagement. It's not a miracle mod, but it does help gain some precious predictability with the engagement. I think I'll just get a heavier clutch down the road when mine burns out. Still annoying.

I've had a rattling heat shield above the rear differential/driveshaft/midpipe area. Thing has annoyed me to no end. So... I took my socket wrench and a few tools of destruction down when I was changing my rear wheels. Heat shield was way more resilient than I thought. For 3 bolts... this thing was a PITA to remove. I'm not sure why it started rattling. It appears to have been rattling on the car body as opposed to the suspected mid pipe. Oh well. It's off. Here's my trophy: (note the new shape)

Then after finally wrestling the heat shield out, I went to put my front wheels on. A lug nut was seized and popped off a chunk of one of my wheel studs... annoyingly. Luckily, wheel studs are only a whopping $2.70 each at the dealer. I picked up two and mentally prepared myself for the fight against my caliper mounting bolts. Luckily, I got them out without stripping much. The top bolt did take some material with it, but it still torqued down safely. Made sure to lube them up with copper anti-seize as well. Here is what I constructed to get teh wheel stud in there, as per a recommendation from iWSTI:

It worked well. I'd suggest the 1/2" washers and a bolt to go over the wheel stud. It's best left for the nut to take the torque on the washers than the lugnut to get messed up by the uneven surface. I think it was a an 8x1.25 if I remember right. I'd check before you buy that, however.

All said and done, I will definitely keep copper anti-seize, a spare wheel stud or two, and the washer/nut to put the new stud in with handy for future surprises. Even if it isn't a frequent occurrence - $10 of material on hand can save a lot of frustration.
    2011 STi Build Log

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast