05 STI when OCD meets opportunity. pictures attached - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 STI when OCD meets opportunity. pictures attached within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; [QUOTE=22B05STI;2692466]This is an 83 march Indycar[/QUOT I would really like to sell this car, it has an unassembled cosworth DFX ...

[QUOTE=22B05STI;2692466]This is an 83 march Indycar[/QUOT
    I would really like to sell this car, it has an unassembled cosworth DFX and has been completely restored except for the engine. If anyone out there is interested pm me, I have owned and been working on this car since 97

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Cool restorations.

Do you build the cars from the ground up?
    yes, everything except engine and paint/bodywork. I did the first two cars, a Ferrari 512LM and a Ford GT40 while working and learning from my Dad. I then restored the other cars for one of my Dads customers, it started out with "can you get my 86 March Indycar running and it ended up needing a huge amount of work (complete restoration)and then I ended up restoring several other cars for him.

Very impressive work. Wow is your car clean underneath.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

That is so cool. I wish I had such skills.

Let me ask you a question then. I am building a solar car for a school project. I need to build a frame and we a going to use Aluminum. I have been trying to weld aluminum and it is super hard. In your opinion is there a better material we should try and use? Some of the ME's at my school recommended carbon fiber but I have no clue on how to build a frame out of carbon fiber.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    That is so cool. I wish I had such skills.

Let me ask you a question then. I am building a solar car for a school project. I need to build a frame and we a going to use Aluminum. I have been trying to weld aluminum and it is super hard. In your opinion is there a better material we should try and use? Some of the ME's at my school recommended carbon fiber but I have no clue on how to build a frame out of carbon fiber.
    I know that often school projects have some criteria, costs, weight, efficiency etc. obviously carbon is both light and strong but you must have some way of bonding the pieces together, I could put you in contact with a company that I know that might be able to suggest the pro and cons about working with carbon. Obiously expense is the big one with carbon, Usually these school projects have some clever people and resources involved. I would say at the end of the day if I had a choice I would go with carbon because of weight and strenghth qualities but having the resources to build a car out of carbon would be the big problem. Welding Aluminum is difficult and not too many people can do that really well. My Dad is very good at it and I just can't weld Aluminum nicely. Maybe design of an aluminum car might be key, looking at using less material based the supports of the chassis (like a suspension bridge concept) where you used less material because of the design.I hope that the project goes well either way. Good Luck

you win an award for the cleanest subaru on the face of the earth!

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    you win an award for the cleanest subaru on the face of the earth!
    But...is his engine bay cleaner than Bill's?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    But...is his engine bay cleaner than Bill's?
    I think bill uses antimatter produced at CERN to rid his engine bay of contaminants...

Quote Originally Posted by 22B05STI View Post
    I know that often school projects have some criteria, costs, weight, efficiency etc. obviously carbon is both light and strong but you must have some way of bonding the pieces together, I could put you in contact with a company that I know that might be able to suggest the pro and cons about working with carbon. Obiously expense is the big one with carbon, Usually these school projects have some clever people and resources involved. I would say at the end of the day if I had a choice I would go with carbon because of weight and strenghth qualities but having the resources to build a car out of carbon would be the big problem. Welding Aluminum is difficult and not too many people can do that really well. My Dad is very good at it and I just can't weld Aluminum nicely. Maybe design of an aluminum car might be key, looking at using less material based the supports of the chassis (like a suspension bridge concept) where you used less material because of the design.I hope that the project goes well either way. Good Luck
    Cool man thanks for the help. Building a car from the ground up is no easy task.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    I think bill uses antimatter produced at CERN to rid his engine bay of contaminants...
    I don't know this Car looks cleaner than a new car fresh from the factory.

I am in awe of the thoroughness! Bravo.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    I don't know this Car looks cleaner than a new car fresh from the factory.

I am in awe of the thoroughness! Bravo.
    Thanks guys, I have put a huge amount of time into the car and it is really great the way it turned out. I hope that I can continue this thread with the conversion to Japanese spec Struts, roll bars and lateral/trailing links from a spec C. also plan on a couple of pieces of the s204. I will definately post pictures of the project I am working on, that I hope to be able to produce and sell.

Quote Originally Posted by 22B05STI View Post

I have posted another thread I would like for you all to see, it is Photos from two Ferrari F1 engine rebuilds I was involved in and also some fairly rare closeup Photos of several of Schumachers F1 cars
    please take a look and post questions and commentshttp://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...hp?t=134338585

Two weeks since the subaru project was finished, everything with the car is great, there are absolutely no noises comming from the rear struts. I am a glad it worked as the inverted strut insert really was quite worn, the subaru does have nearly 50,000 miles on it now.
    looking back at the pictures I am really glad I took the time to do the project, the only downside is not wanting to use it as much now that I have it all cleaned up.