My WRX build - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on My WRX build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; gone...

gone
    Last edited by turb0; 09-15-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    2006 wrX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Forgot to add that the bottom of the car is going to be panneled for better airflow. And we are building a custom oil cooler for the top mount I.C. vent.
    2006 wrX

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    If you're a 'race tire engineer', then you should understand why the wheels in the specifications you want are a bad idea.
    To back up some of the others: If you miss calculate the offset half the rim is going to loose contact with the road on any turn greater that 20 degrees. Unless you just want to go straight! You would have to stay with a standard offset and change the geometry of the control arms to keep the most amount of contact with the road. Then again you would need the largest diameter sway control out on the market known for a semi truck to keep all the wheels on the ground in a hard turn. That and pray that the road is not wet, dusty, sandy, and with out wind.
    If you drive this daily have fun buying tires every 5 to 10k miles because your going to wipe out the outer three inches from turning the wheel to change lanes.

Please explain. As I have full adjustment of suspenion. I can adjust Toe, Camber, Caster at all four corners.

I'm thinking you guys think this car is going to be driven around at 8* negative camber and the toe out.
    Sorry, Not going to happen. I didnt spend 10k on suspenion parts for nothing. Yes I know how to adjust and set everything on the car and even own my own set of scales.

I still do not understand why you guys think the worst. Can you back your statments up with some print? Where are you hearing all this....

Till I see some printed info. Sorry but I have been around cars/tracks/autocross and so on far to long.
    2006 wrX

Okay here we go you need an explanation on how this works....
    At stock ride height
    When the vehicle is at a stand still or in a forward motion the contact surface of the tire is at its maximum. When the angle of the wheels change for instance to the right 1 turn the contact surface will then pitch to the left of the tire. This motion is due to body roll. The effect of this will then reduce the contact surface by almost 1/4 from the forward contact surface.
    Now for the tire size
    I will not argue you with you on your need for those rims or tires, but the only ways to accomplish the fit is.

1. Relocate were the strut links to the spindle!

2. Have the biggest wheel spacer know to man with the 55mm offset.

Ok #1 is possible = given you are geometry major. That kind of a set up would look a lot like the front suspension of a F1 Race car and cost a million buck to develop.
    #2 is also possible = BUT the farther the outer edge of the tire gets from the turning aspect of the car the greater the amount of changed angle on the contact surface.
    Part two of this take another twist. READY??

You take two people and you put them on a oven race track. Racer #1 is in lane #1 and racer #2 is in lane #5.
    Both racers are rolling at the same rate of speed at the same starting time and maintain that speed the whole way around the track to arrive back at the start point.
    When Racer #1 completes the first turn Racer #2 will only be 3/4 around that turn. And this will continue all the way around the track.

So if you think of a tires inside edge as Racer #1 and the out side edge as Racer #2. This means that the outside edge of the tire will be dragged through a turn at a lower speed than what is needed in relation to the inside edge. Hence reducing traction and wearing the Outer edge of the tire. You can compensate for this by changing your camber but then you will be wiping out the full contact surface of the outside turning tire.

Here is how you can prove it to yourself once you put the wheels on.

Go to your local auto parts store and get what is called a temp gun. Take the temp of the tires in side and out side edge one inch in from the side wall and record it (write it down, take a picture - I don't giv a F@#k) Then turn the wheel and hold it. Make 10 full circles - stop and take the temp again. The hotter side of the tire is the side that is getting worked.

Get it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith646 View Post
    Okay here we go you need an explanation on how this works....
    At stock ride height
    When the vehicle is at a stand still or in a forward motion the contact surface of the tire is at its maximum. When the angle of the wheels change for instance to the right 1 turn the contact surface will then pitch to the left of the tire. This motion is due to body roll. The effect of this will then reduce the contact surface by almost 1/4 from the forward contact surface.
    Now for the tire size
    I will not argue you with you on your need for those rims or tires, but the only ways to accomplish the fit is.

1. Relocate were the strut links to the spindle!

2. Have the biggest wheel spacer know to man with the 55mm offset.

Ok #1 is possible = given you are geometry major. That kind of a set up would look a lot like the front suspension of a F1 Race car and cost a million buck to develop.
    #2 is also possible = BUT the farther the outer edge of the tire gets from the turning aspect of the car the greater the amount of changed angle on the contact surface.
    Part two of this take another twist. READY??

You take two people and you put them on a oven race track. Racer #1 is in lane #1 and racer #2 is in lane #5.
    Both racers are rolling at the same rate of speed at the same starting time and maintain that speed the whole way around the track to arrive back at the start point.
    When Racer #1 completes the first turn Racer #2 will only be 3/4 around that turn. And this will continue all the way around the track.

So if you think of a tires inside edge as Racer #1 and the out side edge as Racer #2. This means that the outside edge of the tire will be dragged through a turn at a lower speed than what is needed in relation to the inside edge. Hence reducing traction and wearing the Outer edge of the tire. You can compensate for this by changing your camber but then you will be wiping out the full contact surface of the outside turning tire.

Here is how you can prove it to yourself once you put the wheels on.

Go to your local auto parts store and get what is called a temp gun. Take the temp of the tires in side and out side edge one inch in from the side wall and record it (write it down, take a picture - I don't giv a F@#k) Then turn the wheel and hold it. Make 10 full circles - stop and take the temp again. The hotter side of the tire is the side that is getting worked.

Get it!!!
    Wow!!! Its all I can say. I'm guessing this is not in print? I will remain respectful,

Now once again I'll ask, is all this in a printed book? or is this just the over all thoughts that came from everyone on the forum?

How many of you went to a trade school?
    2006 wrX

I have been building things that go fast since I was 10 yr old and am now 34. Metal and motors is all I do. F$#k football cause it doesn't have a big enough motor. I've worked with teams that built cars that sold at Berrett Jackson for over 260K. Put a Porche 911 turbo C motor in my 67 VW bug at 13. Had a set of pocket bikes that did 55mph with a 200lb person on it with a oe motor and clock by a cop for speeding. I own a 250hp 92 Honda Perlude with a H22A4 N/A with no aftermarket parts other than the replacement pistons cause the OE one cracked and my vetec is not hooked up yet. It will take a right hand turn outside lane to outside lane at 40 mph and not slide.

Everything I have learned has been in shops by some of the best underground builders in the US.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith646 View Post
    I have been building things that go fast since I was 10 yr old and am now 34. Metal and motors is all I do. F$#k football cause it doesn't have a big enough motor. I've worked with teams that built cars that sold at Berrett Jackson for over 260K. Put a Porche 911 turbo C motor in my 67 VW bug at 13. Had a set of pocket bikes that did 55mph with a 200lb person on it with a oe motor and clock by a cop for speeding. I own a 250hp 92 Honda Perlude with a H22A4 N/A with no aftermarket parts other than the replacement pistons cause the OE one cracked and my vetec is not hooked up yet. It will take a right hand turn outside lane to outside lane at 40 mph and not slide.

Everything I have learned has been in shops by some of the best underground builders in the US.
    OK so here is my point. Everyone is on this site because well nazioc sucks from rude people.
    So we come over to here. And well... now we have people preaching stuff like its from the bible. I have been taken back by some of it..

Now I am older then most on here.
    I have spent time in WSBK, MotoGP, 18 years in race tire devlopment, few years teaching auto and motorcycle mechnics to dealerships. All why being in some form of racing. All my education is based on proven in published books or hands on. Books writen by people very much higher up the ladder then you or me.

I really think before everyone jumps to flame someone on their rim size. They stop and think that 1, this person may know something we can all learn from, 2, the world is not flat and wide wheels can work with a proper set up.

But really, Let's kinda soften up the anti wide rim B.S. till we really figure out the dynamics 1st hand.

B.T.W. Not to be an asss But I have built motorcycles that put down more power then your prelude =-) Oh and they were without turbo's s/c or nos.....
    Last edited by turb0; 09-02-2010 at 02:16 AM.
    2006 wrX

No worries my friends GXR tops it too. But I can pull it into a California Smog Inspection Station and Pass both visual and emission with out changing a thing. On crappy ass 91. I didn't mean to jump on you about the rims. Just you asked for the proof on why I think that it is a bad idea. It by all means your chose in what you do to your car. But I do this every day and watch people add things and it not quite turn out the way they want. **** if it works out for you Great!

Relax dude... By far this is the best Subaru site you will find..... Everybodies point is you have the wrong offset for the wrong car... Put something on it that works... In your case bigger isn't always better..

Left today for the drive/tow to the shop where the car will live for the next few weeks. 1400 miles later and I can drop it off and ditch the uhaul truck and trailer.!!!
    2006 wrX

gone
    2006 wrX

gone
    2006 wrX

gone
    2006 wrX

gone
    Last edited by turb0; 09-15-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    2006 wrX