Impreza2.0's mod thread

This is a discussion on Impreza2.0's mod thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This isn't a mods list, my mods list is pretty old, and pretty far back in this thread, but I ...

Impreza2.0's mod thread

This isn't a mods list, my mods list is pretty old, and pretty far back in this thread, but I broke a lot of stuff, and it needs to be said.

GodSpeed Hyper RS coilovers:

Snapped two stanchions off at the collars, left front and right rear separated into two pieces entirely.

The other two cracked, and would have snapped had I kept them another couple of weeks. All lost their fluid and made quite a bouncy McBounce-Bounce out of my Subie.

Replaced them with Cusco coilovers, and setting them side by side, one can see there is a significant difference in manufacturing quality, materials, and strength. The new setup is quiet, and handling is astounding by comparison. Very comfortable to drive, yet lightening fast reaction to input is available on demand.

Shifter started buzzing, turned out to be a shift knob fitment issue?! Momo Race Ball shift knob and Classico boot were replaced with Sparco Road knob and "tuner" boot. Sparco interior accessories are vastly superior in craftsmanship to Momo's newer items (Momo was a beautiful word, leaving one with images of Ferrari Mondial and Daytona with Momo crafted coachwork unrivalled by even Rolls Royce... ah the woes brought by robotic fabrication). Needless to say, the Sparco bits fit better, and are rock solid.

3 bulk commercial packs of 60 square ft. Dynamat are now installed, reducing road noise to a whisper, sound quality from the stereo is significantly improved.

If this needs to be edited down and moved into my old mods list, I will understand if I get some heat thrown at me for listing new stuff in a new post, but some of this information might prove valuable to anyone looking to build a short-shifting transmission linkage into the interior, or to install a coilover setup. It is real fact that it costs well over $2K to do coilovers right. Anything less will be noisy, and eventually fail. I can only say that Cusco takes manufacturing seriously, and that the OEM struts and springs are not as quiet. That alone should speak for the quality I am experiencing.

You guys are still making some beasts out of your cars, keep it coming. Nothing is as entertaining to read with my morning coffee.

Cusco Zero 2-S coilovers
    Cusco OS brace kit
    AP 3pt. Adjustable Sway (rear)
    AP 2pt. Adjustable Sway (front)
    AP endlinks (4)

-this works how it should. Corner balancing is a must, AWD is unhappy without the service performed.

GodSpeed Hyper RS coilovers
    Cusco OS front brace
    AP 3pt. Adjustable Sway (rear)
    AP endlinks (rear)

-only the "RS" coilovers failed (I'll post pics in a non-flame type - you'll be warned - it's just an honest review - kind of post).

It was frightening to hear what sounded like a shotgun blast from inside the fenders when the snapped... one went out on me in a parking lot in reverse at 2mph... touched the turn signal stalk... and BANG! fluid everywhere under the tire... unacceptable!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    You guys are still making some beasts out of your cars, keep it coming. Nothing is as entertaining to read with my morning coffee.
    ...Or midday/afternoon/evening coffee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

A lot has happened since my last entry.

I can still say Cusco components are pretty hard to destroy. I haven't actually broken anything,
    though adjustments do seem to come out after several months of hard driving. Normal in my opinion.

With that said, the garage has some new parts on pegs, waiting patiently for install time.
    Cusco T braces, SPT H brace, Cusco rear swaybar "assistant" mount, Cusco trunk brace, Western Offroad billet seat riser block set... already here and waiting for the work.
    When the work is set to be done and scheduled, I'll be doing a bit of welding. Many of these braces seem to suffer from long-term stresses which don't harm performance, but cause squeaks and creaks, clunks, etc., which can be quite annoying, I am sure you are aware.

The whole point behind bracing the ever-living &*%$ out of this car is the intent to do serious motor work in the next year, along with some frame and body restoration, then a very serious paint application in the next year/two years (depending on how well the present "backyard" paint holds up).

Avatar to the left shows that I DID do the hood vent install after all, also the ChargeSpeed bumper graft went absolutely like a dream, and left me with a cowcatcher that works. I had the misfortune of hitting a porcupine about 2 weeks after the paint was fully cured. No scratched. Picked that little bugger up at 40mph, carried him about a qtr mile, then stopped, he fell off, ambled away a bit shocked... Stock bumper or the old ProDrive v2 lip would have sheared his lil head off. Glad I did the lip rebuild if only to save a cute animal (wife as passenger does not condone hunting with the Subaru as a firearm) lol...

I'll have a few pics to add to this, the shop I am building presently is a stopper to me being able to get this stuff done, but the hope is that if the shop can create a beast of a WRX and maintain it, there is no reason it can't create more or other types of beasty tuners. I've got a partner who knows his stuff, and if I can get him to sit still long enough to get a design together, we'll have a second car to build out and represent us. I can't blame him for wanting to do other things, I got pretty fed up with my car a number of times, and know what the "quit" virus symptoms look like... he's no quitter, so we'll have some tasty invitations in the form of photographs of a clean, open, and safe shop, well outfitted for any level of tuning.

You posted this in the wrong section. See if a mod can move it to the build thread. You're updating the build progress to your car hence the build section. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    You posted this in the wrong section. See if a mod can move it to the build thread. You're updating the build progress to your car hence the build section. lol
    lol, this thread exists due to instructions from the moderators of the Bugeye Mafia. I am not going to argue with them... some of our guys have over 1000hp to the wheels, and when they say put it in this thread, I do it. Every instruction I have ever followed on that page has made power, improved handling, or increased the overall fun factor.

i'm gonna just keep posting my randomness if that's OK....

Thought I'd mention that I am looking at uprotated mount downpipes and uppipes for uprotated mounts... hmm... "hey 2.0, you need a turbo badly"... lol... I doubt I will hear that very much after a bit. 400lph and SHF rails. heheh

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    lol, this thread exists due to instructions from the moderators of the Bugeye Mafia. I am not going to argue with them... some of our guys have over 1000hp to the wheels, and when they say put it in this thread, I do it. Every instruction I have ever followed on that page has made power, improved handling, or increased the overall fun factor.

i'm gonna just keep posting my randomness if that's OK....
    When they say make a thread documenting your progress they didn't say post it in the wrong section. Lucky for you the mods moved it for the correct section. Good luck with your build.