Subaru WRX Forum banner

Timing Belt Change

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ervz 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I recently passed 100k miles on my '02 WRX, and I'm thinking of having the timing belt changed. A local shop quoted me roughly 700 parts and labor. Is that a decent price? Is the timing belt change worth doing, or something I can hold off on?

Thanks for your input!

#3 ·
You're already overdue for it. If it breaks, you're looking at a repair bill for at least a few thousand. It is the most critical maintenance item not to hold off on. You also need to replace the water pump and tensioner at the same time since the water pump is due for replacement and the labor to replace it is several hundred by itself but very little if you do it at the same time. You'll also need to do a coolant flush since that's due at the 100k mark, plus you'll need it with the water pump replacement anyway. The tensioner is also very cheap to do at the same time and is due for replacement at that mileage.

#5 ·
Its best that you replace the timing belt now than later. It's something we call preventive maintenance. Timing belt is something that must be replaced, unless you wanna spend lots more money in the future fixing valves. If it does break you will more likely be spending a couple thousand instead of $700 for parts a labor. Get it done before its to late:thumbup:

#8 ·
The change interval is 105 K. Neither poster is due from what they've said, though the OP is close.

If I didn't care I'd do the belt.
If I cared some I'd do the belt and pump.
If I cared a lot I'd do the belt, pump, tensioner, and rollers.
On my car I did belt, pump, tensioner, rollers, thermostat, crank seal, four cam seals, fluids.

Your time, your money, your choice. I'd not do it before its due unless I had a problem though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.